U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM

228 posts, read 273,804 times

Advertisements

Next week I will be visiting Medford for a job interview and to look at rentals.

what are the areas you would absolutely not consider moving to due to crime or any other reason.

thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,023,862 times
Unlike Ashland or Jacksonville, the experience of living in Medford is highly variable depending on exactly where you live. That's why some people think that "Dreadford" is a dive, while others think it's a beautiful area...location, location, location.

Medford shows a strong east/west divide. West Medford and East Medford are effectively different communities. I-5 provides a convenient delineation median, though the area immediately east of the freeway is a transitional mixed-use area up until about Willamette Ave. West Medford has a lot of smaller Craftsman-era homes that would be high-value properties if they were in east Medford, but because they are in the higher-crime area close to downtown, they are part of the low-rent district. West Medford keeps the police force quite busy. The only part of west Medford I would consider is Oakdale Ave. between 11th St. and Stewart Ave., but rentals aren't too likely there. There are some nice semi-rural properties between Medford and Jacksonsville that lie outside the city limits, but that is another topic. You'll probably find the greatest number of rentals -- and the most affordable ones -- in west Medford, but I would keep my search parameters to the east of I-5 if peacefulness, safety, and property upkeep are top concerns.

Within east Medford, I, myself, would also not want to live in the hills east of N. Phoenix Rd./Foothill Rd. The views are great and there are a lot of more expensive California-type McMansions up there, which some people like, but it is essentially a desert of bedroom-community subdivisions that is a long ways from the urban core and any grocery stores or other shopping. You'll be car-dependent if you live up there as there really isn't any place to walk to. Also the subsoil in those foothills is rather questionable and a number of those homes are slowly slip-sliding away.

The best part of Medford, IMO, is old east Medford. Its boundaries are basically Willamette Ave. on the west, Stratford Ave. on the north, Black Oak Dr. on the east, and Siskiyou Blvd. on the south. It's a safe, quiet area, with 1920's to 1950's era homes and 100-year old oaks shading the neighborhoods, but I don't think you'll find many rental properties there. Northeast Medford between McAndrews and Delta Waters (N-S) and Springbrook and Foothill (E-W) is a bit newer but still quite nice. You might be able to find some homes for rent in that area (Lone Pine-Cedar Links district). Another nicer area of town is the Manor Hill district which is accessed by turning south of Juanipero on La Loma Dr. There is an emphasis here, though, on golf-course culture, which is not to everyone's taste.

Naturally when you're renting you won't have the range of geographic choices that buyers have. Sometimes you have to settle for what you can get. That's doubly true if you have pets of any kind.

Zooming in on the Crime Mapping location for Medford will show you the arrests for the week. It changes from week to week but if you check it on a regular basis, you'll soon get a sense of what "hot spots" you want to avoid.

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM

228 posts, read 273,804 times
thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 AM

247 posts, read 675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Steve has good advice... as usual.

Shoot me a DM Jackie if you'd like to chat more when you're in town.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 28,312 times
Default Eugene or springfield

Steve -

I was thinking about Medford also, but we are also considering Eugene or Springfield. Any advice on the area, nice neighborhoods, employment, etc.? We are looking to relocate, don't have a lot of money, but would like to buy a home and semi-retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Unlike Ashland or Jacksonville, the experience of living in Medford is highly variable depending on exactly where you live. That's why some people think that "Dreadford" is a dive, while others think it's a beautiful area...location, location, location.

Medford shows a strong east/west divide. West Medford and East Medford are effectively different communities. I-5 provides a convenient delineation median, though the area immediately east of the freeway is a transitional mixed-use area up until about Willamette Ave. West Medford has a lot of smaller Craftsman-era homes that would be high-value properties if they were in east Medford, but because they are in the higher-crime area close to downtown, they are part of the low-rent district. West Medford keeps the police force quite busy. The only part of west Medford I would consider is Oakdale Ave. between 11th St. and Stewart Ave., but rentals aren't too likely there. There are some nice semi-rural properties between Medford and Jacksonsville that lie outside the city limits, but that is another topic. You'll probably find the greatest number of rentals -- and the most affordable ones -- in west Medford, but I would keep my search parameters to the east of I-5 if peacefulness, safety, and property upkeep are top concerns.

Within east Medford, I, myself, would also not want to live in the hills east of N. Phoenix Rd./Foothill Rd. The views are great and there are a lot of more expensive California-type McMansions up there, which some people like, but it is essentially a desert of bedroom-community subdivisions that is a long ways from the urban core and any grocery stores or other shopping. You'll be car-dependent if you live up there as there really isn't any place to walk to. Also the subsoil in those foothills is rather questionable and a number of those homes are slowly slip-sliding away.

The best part of Medford, IMO, is old east Medford. Its boundaries are basically Willamette Ave. on the west, Stratford Ave. on the north, Black Oak Dr. on the east, and Siskiyou Blvd. on the south. It's a safe, quiet area, with 1920's to 1950's era homes and 100-year old oaks shading the neighborhoods, but I don't think you'll find many rental properties there. Northeast Medford between McAndrews and Delta Waters (N-S) and Springbrook and Foothill (E-W) is a bit newer but still quite nice. You might be able to find some homes for rent in that area (Lone Pine-Cedar Links district). Another nicer area of town is the Manor Hill district which is accessed by turning south of Juanipero on La Loma Dr. There is an emphasis here, though, on golf-course culture, which is not to everyone's taste.

Naturally when you're renting you won't have the range of geographic choices that buyers have. Sometimes you have to settle for what you can get. That's doubly true if you have pets of any kind.

Zooming in on the Crime Mapping location for Medford will show you the arrests for the week. It changes from week to week but if you check it on a regular basis, you'll soon get a sense of what "hot spots" you want to avoid.

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Old 09-13-2015, 12:31 AM

19 posts, read 26,100 times
Exceptionally helpful, very specific and clear reply about Medford, Steve. THANK YOU!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 28,312 times
[quote=Lorsch;38267727]Steve -

Thanks Steve - very helpful. We ultimately settled in Federal Way, WA. Crimemapping seems to indicate that as a relatively good area.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 AM

197 posts, read 402,633 times
If you click on any home here, the lower part of the page shows crimes in the area. Just for reference. 12 Mace Road, Medford, OR | Trulia.com

Old 09-13-2015, 06:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,151,262 times
I find the crime mapping link on the City of Medford site to have the most current data.

Also, I'm not a renter but if you read other CD threads there is information about who to rent from. Be sure to check out the property managers as well as the properties on Yelp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon