Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 AM

35 posts, read 74,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Monument Drive, Grants Pass OR - Trulia
Rogue Riffle, Grants Pass OR - Trulia

Is there a reason that you want to build your own place?? Just curious.
Have always wanted a cabin style home, high ceilings, big fireplace, done the way i want it.
My own little fishing lodge. I also need to build a workshop next to the house as i am self employed artist.

I've Rented most of my life living in big cities, NYC, Paris, Milan, LA.
Semi retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,649 times
That sounds awesome! A spot along the river would be perfect! Although, not too quiet in the summer. The Rogue River is a BIG rafting river as well as a fishing river. There are lots of rafting companies, here, in Merlin. It can get busy on the river! But people are having fun. I actually like to take my dog over on hot days and let her play in the water while I watch all the rafters. (of course being IN a raft is more fun)

Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM

35 posts, read 74,790 times
Yeah thats what i was thinking, nice little 2 bedroom 2 bath 10 miles out of town place on the river.
Scenic place with water, septic and electricity.
Sounds like the river property is out.

The few prices i saw on the river were crazy priced.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
There is something you must understand about Oregon. There are lots of properties that you will never be able to get a building permit for. Those properties are sold as recreation lots and can be relatively inexpensive.

Some lots can not qualify for a septic permit, which means you not be able to get building permits. Some lots are too small. For example if the land is zone forestry, you can not build if you have fewer than 120 acres. Yet there are many forestry lots that are 20 acres.

Every drop of water is owned by someone and many pieces of property do not have water. With no water, those lots will be cheap.

Anything with water frontage or nice views is going to be extremely expensive.

Anything next to a pig farm will be rather cheap.

You have to go and look in person and you have a lot of due diligence to do before buying bare land.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,649 times
The river properties are definitely higher and not very private. You may not see them from the road, but you can see them from the river. You really need to stay a few days and look around. Find the area that has the feel that you're looking for. But, for sure look for a place that has utilities or at least an "approved" pad site. You don't want to get stuck with property that you can't build on.
Also, is internet a priority for you?? That's something else to think about.
If you're willing to go a little further than the 10 miles, you might find more of what you're looking for.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeck View Post
Yeah thats what i was thinking, nice little 2 bedroom 2 bath 10 miles out of town place on the river.
Scenic place with water, septic and electricity.
Sounds like the river property is out.

The few prices i saw on the river were crazy priced.
Perhaps you can find a piece of property which has a year around creek flowing thru it.

Or which has an artesian spring...

Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Have you thought about the east side of the Cascades, land values on the east side are normally 25-50% cheaper than the west side of the mountains.
Here's an example: Price reduced! fish the john day river on your own property!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
Default the Capitol Press, Salem, Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeck View Post
Have always wanted a cabin style home, high ceilings, big fireplace, done the way i want it.
My own little fishing lodge. I also need to build a workshop next to the house as i am self employed artist.

I've Rented most of my life living in big cities, NYC, Paris, Milan, LA.
Semi retired.
Oregon has a soil classification system that should be adopted everywhere.
Indeed, due to what acreage can grow one side of a road may be, for good reasons,
ten or more times the price of the other side of the road.

The Rogue River valley has never been cheap in my memory. But there should be lots
of starter choices in the Capitol Press newspaper, which has been serving rural Oregon
and nearby states for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon