Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 AM

176 posts, read 631,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
What do mean if they were my friends for 3+ yrs.? I dont understand what you are saying.
I mean, most born and bred Oregonians won't trust you with their real opinions for a long time. They'll just be polite and not mention anything about you being from CA. I generally won't treat someone as a real friend (and thus share my opinions with them. waste of time to share your opinions with someone who isn't a friend) unless I've known them for 3+ years. I'll be polite at first, and gradually less superficial as time goes on. I still have plenty of friends from middle school, and so does my dad, despite moving from WA to OR (he's almost 60 now). We have long, deep, trusting relationships with friends...but it takes a long time for us to trust people.

Obviously online at a forum people are more open than they would normally be, under the guise of anonymity.
EDIT: and if you're wondering why I'm posting this if I think sharing my opinions with strangers is a waste of time: I want good, accurate information on TX, so I've got an obligation to give out some advice on OR. Fair is fair.

Last edited by jm21; 11-08-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 PM

116 posts, read 614,294 times
My family and I moved up from L.A. to Portland about a year and a half ago and have been very pleased. First off, I really don't get this whole anti-Cali thing people keep talking about. In my time here I have NEVER had anyone say a word to me regarding it, in fact they all are somewhat curious regarding L.A.. Most people I meet are very friendly and have a positive view of California, and L.A. in general. Maybe it's the neighborhoods these people live in. I honestly don't know where they get this from. At most I'll have some Duck fan give me a hard time due to me being an SC grad, but it's always good natured. In fact, I fly an SC house flag on games days and have never heard a negative comment...people will actually stop and we'll talk college football, but it's all fun and civil. Don't let comments regarding anti-California feeling alter your feelings towards Portland.

As far as Beaverton...it's a lot of sprawl and shops. Parts of it actually remind me of stretches of OC, particularly Irvine...maybe Costa Mesa. I work in Beaverton and if you like the OC lifestyle, you just may like it. I'm not too partial to it in that you need a car to get everywhere, and it doesn't particularly have any characters. Still, you get a lot more house for your money than in Portland, it has chain stores readily available, and overall it nice. Oh, and yes traffic is bad, but I don't find it to be worse than anything in Orange County.

Oh, and what part of OC are you coming up from? That would help in trying to point out a point of contrast.

Good luck

Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiandGrant View Post
Hi, My Fiance and I are thinking about relocating to Beaverton middle next year from down here in Orange County. The only place in Oregon we have been to is Grant's Pass/Rogue River. We absolutley love it there. But what things from the ones who live in Beaverton would suggest I consider before making my mind up completely? Please let me know as much info as I can possibly get. This is a huge change for us. Crime, People, Jobs, Weather...ect.
We moved from Beaverton - in 2005 - to the Applegate Valley next to Grants Pass. We plan to move north when our home sells, back near Beaverton.

You can't really compare the two areas. They are what they are. One is small town that gets almost as much rain as Portland, but in a shorter span of time. Grants Pass and Williams get 31 to 33 inches to Portland areas approximately 36 inches. Very little difference on paper. But summer is warmer and longer sun-wise down south.

For cultural - you may like the north urban area apealing if it's what you are used to.

I'm going to be up working in the Portland west suburbs for the next week or two, doing everything from pruning to preparation for landscape design on a 9 acre parcel's edge. And it will be refreshing to me in it's own way, because I'm culturally accustomed to the area up there.

Must admit, I thought the drive through Los Angeles was very enjoyable several weeks ago - my first trip down there. From a landscape / tree angle, it looked like a place that would be enjoyable. Traffic moved twice as good as Portland's too, on the Monday morning I passed along Interstate 5.

Anyhow, Beaverton is a populated, relatively clean good size city with several colleges and a lot of big stores and businesses nearby. Grants Pass is a small town in the country with several popular businesses, but well suited to someone who would enjoy retreating from what the big cities have.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Old 11-10-2007, 07:04 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
First off, I really don't get this whole anti-Cali thing people keep talking about. In my time here I have NEVER had anyone say a word to me regarding it, in fact they all are somewhat curious regarding L.A..
In my experience here in Oregon, most locals won't say anything to you directly about what they think of Californians.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 AM

30 posts, read 118,246 times
Beaverton has been completely Californicated. You'll like it there. Massive traffic jams, nasty rude people, and plenty of foreigners with towels wrapped on their head. Recommendation: Go to Olive Garden in Beaverton. If you're white and english speaking, you'll be in a deep minority.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM

39 posts, read 245,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg1126 View Post
Beaverton has been completely Californicated. You'll like it there. Massive traffic jams, nasty rude people, and plenty of foreigners with towels wrapped on their head. Recommendation: Go to Olive Garden in Beaverton. If you're white and english speaking, you'll be in a deep minority.
Because you're not rude, nasty or prejudiced at all, right?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
That wasn't my experience back in the late 80s, when I moved here. In fact, I was on a Town Hall show (KATU) in 1990. The topic was "The Upcoming California Invasion," and they had the room divided between Californians and the fearful natives. I remember one woman saying, "In 20 years, we won't even be able to move, because there will be so many Californians up here!" Most of us were there to show that we weren't monsters or equity-bloated... we just wanted better lives for ourselves.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
That wasn't my experience back in the late 80s, when I moved here. In fact, I was on a Town Hall show (KATU) in 1990. The topic was "The Upcoming California Invasion," and they had the room divided between Californians and the fearful natives. I remember one woman saying, "In 20 years, we won't even be able to move, because there will be so many Californians up here!" Most of us were there to show that we weren't monsters or equity-bloated... we just wanted better lives for ourselves.
Suncat, thanks for the good laugh!! I use to watch Town Hall all the time (not sure why, now that I think about it). But they always did that ... divide the audience and try to pit one side against the other. I probably watched that very show.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg1126 View Post
That is the most ignorant post I've read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon