U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,183 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a question about the Albany area. We found some property in Scio that we are seriously considering, and we have a daughter that would like to go to Corvallis for college. We were looking closer to the Eugene area, but this property is hard to overlook. It's just that whenever I would travel from California to my family in Washington over the years, we would pass through Albany and the odor was pretty bad. One time (albeit this WAS 18 years ago) I got a room in the town with my boys for a break on our trip, but had to leave because of the smell.

So, is Albany still pumping out the odors there? What is the general opinion of that town and area? Would YOU consider living close to there?

Thanks for the opinions.
Tebri
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 04:42 PM

331 posts, read 1,799,451 times
Hi Tebri:

We were just in Albany last week and could smell chemicals used to make paper. We rated the downtown vibrancy at 7, Airport 8.5 (I fly), shopping and malls 8, existing homes in the area a 6, local attractions 6.5, friendliness of the locals a 6. City setting, parks, and landscapes a 5. Overall we gave Albany a 5.5 on a scale of one to ten. I do have some pictures that we took on our trip to Albany if you would like to see them. I guess you could say the city need a fresh coat of paint. On the other hand, we rated Corvallis a 9 by me and 8.5 by my wife. We did not care for Eugene or Springfield.

Dan

Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 192,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
Hi Tebri:

We were just in Albany last week and could smell chemicals used to make paper. We rated the downtown vibrancy at 7, Airport 8.5 (I fly), shopping and malls 8, existing homes in the area a 6, local attractions 6.5, friendliness of the locals a 6. City setting, parks, and landscapes a 5. Overall we gave Albany a 5.5 on a scale of one to ten. I do have some pictures that we took on our trip to Albany if you would like to see them. I guess you could say the city need a fresh coat of paint. On the other hand, we rated Corvallis a 9 by me and 8.5 by my wife. We did not care for Eugene or Springfield.

Dan
Hey Dan:

I am thinking of relocating to Corvallis from Hawaii. The other option is the Beaverton, Sherwood, Forrest Grove areas nearer Portland. What made you rate Corvallis a 9? Do you feel out in the middle of nowhere being 80 miles from Portland (this is coming from someone who lives on an Island that is 35 miles by about 40 miles!). Thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM

The Oregon State Beavers call Corvallis home. It was our number one ranked city on our visit last week. You are about to see a lot of 9’s so hold on to your hat. Downtown vibrancy is a 10 with its tree-lined streets. It is easy to get around and they park their cars at a 45-degree angle. The shops are interesting, quaint and clean with a downtown cleanliness rating of 9.5. This town has everything you would want in a first class city. Because I fly, I had to rank the airport a 9. Commercial flights are available from nearby Portland, Salem, or Eugene. New homes in the area were a 9. Homes located among the Pine Trees on the mountains NW of Corvallis had stunning views of city lights. It does not get any better than that. Existing homes were an above average 8. Local attractions came in at 8 with many beautiful parks and the ever-beautiful Willamette River. Friendliness of the locals came in at 9.5. We found many places to eat out rating restaurants a 9. City setting, parks, and landscape came in at 9.5. I can understand why Oregon State Students can’t leave the city once they graduate.

Dan

Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
The Oregon State Beavers call Corvallis home. It was our number one ranked city on our visit last week. You are about to see a lot of 9’s so hold on to your hat. Downtown vibrancy is a 10 with its tree-lined streets. It is easy to get around and they park their cars at a 45-degree angle. The shops are interesting, quaint and clean with a downtown cleanliness rating of 9.5. This town has everything you would want in a first class city. Because I fly, I had to rank the airport a 9. Commercial flights are available from nearby Portland, Salem, or Eugene. New homes in the area were a 9. Homes located among the Pine Trees on the mountains NW of Corvallis had stunning views of city lights. It does not get any better than that. Existing homes were an above average 8. Local attractions came in at 8 with many beautiful parks and the ever-beautiful Willamette River. Friendliness of the locals came in at 9.5. We found many places to eat out rating restaurants a 9. City setting, parks, and landscape came in at 9.5. I can understand why Oregon State Students can’t leave the city once they graduate.

Dan
Thanks again, Dan! I am getting pretty excited! We will be visiting Oregon at Christmas to check out the winter weather. I hear that Corvallis is a tad more mild than Portland and doesn't get as cold or rainy. But really coming from Hawaii, everything will be colder and rainier than here! I just want a slower pace and not to have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet. My son will still have two more years of high school and I here that Corvallis has good schools. He does have his heart set on going to the U of O so that might be interesting living in Corvallis :-). I could never afford out of state tuition, and I can retire this year with a small pension from my city job here in Hawaii, hence this seems like the time to move. I am a proffessional musician and just recieved the relocation package sent out by the town of Corvallis, and there seems to be quite a bit of music going on there. So, things seem to be pointing more towards Corvallis. Do you have opinions about the Beaverton area??

Thanks again---Susan

Old 10-11-2006, 11:32 PM

Hi Susan:

We did not visit Beaverton and it has been awhile since I have been there so I really can't say anything because things change so much.

There is Beaver Fever in Corvallis. I doubt he will want anything to do with Eugene once he catches Beaver Fever. That town goes nuts over every football game. You can't get a room in town on a football weekend. Beaver Feaver is everywhere.

You are in the right area for music too.

Dan

Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi Susan,
Just a note to let you know... we are hoping to relocate from California to Oregon (a lot shorter trip for us than for YOU!!). We also have a 16 year old (daughter) that is planning on going to college. We've been looking at the Eugene area (University of Oregon DUCKS!) and those Corvallis Beavers! (That's kind of a joke because we are so NOT the football kind of family... just reiterating something my cousins from Olympia WA keeps drilling into us in our Oregon contemplations!) What was of more importance to us was the colleges. They both seem like wonderful places for the education of our kids. What we are planning though with our daughter, is for her to attend the community college nearby for one year. That will give us a chance to establish our residency and then in her second or third year of school, she'll be able to enter as an Oregon resident, saving at least $7,500 a year in tuition.

The kids get a chance to have smaller, intensive classrooms to get the required credits under their belt at a much lesser tuition cost and then enter as Sophmores or Juniors to the state colleges.

Keep me posted if you find out anything more about moving from state to state!

Tebri

Old 10-12-2006, 01:35 AM

Smile Scio

By the way... could somebody tell us how to pronounce SCIO?
skee o?
shee o?
sky o?
sho?

Thanks!!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 AM

Default Kids in college!

Hi Tebri:

Even though we would be moving farther away than you (coming from Hawaii), I think the change in lifestyle for both of us will be a good change. We are going to visit at Christmas and look at lots of towns, but at the moment we are leaning toward Corvallis. I just looked at houses online in McMinnville and that looks like a good possiblity too. I just wish that I lived closer so that I could take several trips there to narrow down areas. I think we will rent first, to be sure that we like an area. But since we will be coming up next summer and my son will have two years of high school left, I really do need to pick a town to settle in. This is such a huge decision. But I am so glad that I found this forum where people are so willing to share information.

Aloha, Susan

Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM

2,091 posts, read 8,758,207 times
Beavers vs Ducks is ingrained here in Oregon. I am clueless on football, and it bores me to death, but I am a diehard Beaver. of course, my Dad was a Beaver, we lived in Corvallis when I was very small, and I was going to go to OSU as a gymnast (Terrific gymnastics program!!) You will see people w/their entire vehicles covered w/decals from one or the other all over the state, and most Oregonians will let you know off the bat if they are Beaver (Yeah!!) or Duck (boo! lol) - And oh man, wait til the Civil War!!! lol But ya know, when its only one or the other who's playing out of Oregon, we're all rooting for em!!
I have lived in Oregon all my life, and can remember as a child, when driving through Albany, trying to hold my breath as soon as the paper mill came into sight,or whenthe smell started to hit (depends on wind and all which comes first. I still try to hold my breath til Im past it all, but cant do it yet after 30yrs of practice. lol - I personally am not a huge fan of Albany, but my cousins live there and they enjoy it. They say after some time, you get used to the smell. hummm. lol
I love Corvallis. and the schools - from preschool through college are absolutely the best. Ive known people who move there JUST for the schools. (heck, my folks did too Id say the entire town has the best school system in the Pacific Northwest, and Im talking from No. Cal - all of Ore - and all of Washington! Its a beautiful place to live, and has much much much to offer.
Just dont go there expecting to get a job as a teacher. Just about impossible. They truly, only accept the very best. And even the very best have to start out in training there. Gotta love it.
McMinnville is another of my fav. places in Oregon. Although, i have to admit, Im clueless on the schools. If we ever move away from the coast (ya right) that'd probably be the place for us. Great small town feel, terrific oldtown/downtown, and a lot of newer growth on the outer parts.
Forest Grove, well, I lived there from the time I was about 12 til I was 19. My Dad still does live there. It has some wonderful areas, and some of the most incredible historical homes. We looked at one that was one of the old victorian styles, all these incredible turrents and stained windows, and even a very old homemade sauna in the back! The very old handmade staircases that were about 6inches wide and so smoothed down w/age and use you could slide down em on your butt at some pretty incredible speeds. lol Oh how I wanted that house!! Unfortunatly for us, someone else got it first. sigh. Fairly reasonable prices too. and many times you get some good sized yard w/plenty of trees/brush on em. Im just personally not overlyfond of the schools there. And the hispanic population is growing at a very fast rate. Even 15yrs ago, when i ws in high school there, we had hispanic "gang" issues. I can vividly remember some knife fights, AT school! between some hispanic kids and some of the FFA kids. (FG also has a large FFA program. Its outskirted on 3 sides by farms/forestry land, i can also say i remember the year that someone died all the FFA animals neon colors. lol, terrible I know, but it was quite the wake up call to look out and see all those brightly colored sheep and bunnies! LOL!!!!!!!!) There are teachers there at the school whos only job is to interperate for the kids that only speak spanish, and all with required classes, there are special ones that are totally taught in Spanish. FGHS is not one that exactly excells in much of anything besides the FFA programs. But it is the smaller town w/good deals and isnt really to far from anything. Easy enough commute to about anywhere.
Beaverton has grown quite a bit. Its kinda merged into Tigard IMO. It does have plenty to offer, and theres about a million apartment complexes there. lol I lived there about 8yrs ago, and it was okay. We were more on the outskirts, and to tell the truth, hadnt been married long and had a new baby so we werent too concerned w/the "outside world" lol But friendly enough there, that neighbors on all sides brought us gifts/food when we first moved in and when my son was born (course, you'll find that a lot here! Dont go attacking me for this,but the only times weve even had neighbors that didnt come and do such things, offers of help, giving us their phone #s in case of emergency/etc. was when we had neighbors that were from a certain different state. Could be total coincidence, but 3times in my life, we've had neighbors that WERENT friendly/helpful and none of them had lived in Ore. long. (ie, less then 10yrs) ) Anyhow, Beaverton is too big for me, but I have friends there that just swear its the greatest. Prices are a tad inflated IMO. But compared to Hawaii. Im sure you'll be thrilled w/the sticker price.
Best of luck to ya, and I hope you find the home youre looking for!
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon