U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 AM

3,173 posts, read 7,271,449 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an area that has mild temps year round, that is safe, and close drive to shopping and restaurants. I have been thinking of moving to NC but also OR now is peaking my interest. I am not into night life and work from home. I have no kids and am 34. I am from MI and was living in Thousand Oaks CA but it is just so expensive so need to find a place with lower cost of living but because of health problems extreme weather is very painful for me.
Could people suggest some cities I could research? I would rent first and don't like to be in a hectic area but like I said close driving distance to shopping. I seem to like to live in suburbs and really enjoyed TO for example For a 1 bedroom apt or condo I would like to stay around 1100 but can be flexible. Is that realistic in a nice area and if not can you state how much?
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM

2,487 posts, read 4,607,182 times
How mild is "mild"? In the Willamette Valley, temperatures go below freezing a few nights every winter, and occasionally during the day too. And summers always have a few days that hit 100 degrees or close to it. If that range works for you, the valley is where you'll find the most shopping and restaurants. I think the Medford area might be a little warmer but they have some real economic challenges right now. The coast tends not to get as cold or as warm as the valley but the economy there is basically tourists and retirees.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM

8,000 posts, read 15,907,389 times
Rob answered your "Mild" Question. As to location, if Rob's answer suites you, just throw a dart at the Willamette Valley.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM

15,294 posts, read 15,461,788 times
Oregon doesn't have suburbs like you are used to. Oregon suburbs are actual cities, with their own core business areas. Shopping strips along arterials (main drags) are pretty common, fed by secondaries and collectors into residential neighborhoods. Land use planning is not just about zoning, it's also about traffic studies. As long as you avoid freeways, streets are pretty usable. You should be able to find many locations with grocery, electronic, furniture, automotive, clothing, etc. in a few blocks of each other. Hospitals tend to be in legacy locations somewhat remote from commercial development. Oregon has nothing like the freeway hell of SoCal. An hour and a half on a California freeway doesn't even get you out of town. In Oregon, it gets you to the coast or the mountains but, oh yeah, there aren't any freeways that go there.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Portland does have suburbs and so does Salem. Even Eugene has sububan areas just like any other state.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 AM

3,173 posts, read 7,271,449 times
Thank you for your suggestion. I know everyones definition of mild is different and for myself I know here and there in almost every state there will be times of hot or cold but I am trying to find the least and less harsh. Is the weather similar to Seattle where it is that cold damp sprinkle rain when you get it?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM

15,294 posts, read 15,461,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Portland does have suburbs and so does Salem. Even Eugene has sububan areas just like any other state.
Not outside of a UGB they don't. The closest thing we have is areas that have been developed as rural residential but haven't been annexed yet. We have very little urban sprawl.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM

2,487 posts, read 4,607,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Is the weather similar to Seattle where it is that cold damp sprinkle rain when you get it?
Yes, the Willamette Valley's climate is very similar to Seattle's.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM

I would say much dryer. Warmer year round also.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,366,018 times
If you work from home and commute is not an issue, here are a few suggestions:
Tigard-Tualatin, South Beaverton-Murray Hill-Progress Ridge.
Those areas are quite suburban in character ('true' Portlanders look down on them for that reason) still, they are quite close to the city if you ever want to visit for the cultural attractions.
Especially the last one - Progress Ridge might fit you. There are a lot of people in your age group living there in condos and townhouses, the New Seasons and 24 Hour Fitness right on the spot, overall it is a safe and upscale but still affordable area.
As far as weather, Portland is milder and somewhat drier than Seattle, as Steve already mentioned. The rain tends to come in heavier bursts but less often. And IMHO is perfect temperature-wise - almost never too hot or too cold.

PS.
I lived once next to Thousand Oaks (Calabasas)
The day I returned to Portland was one of the happiest days of my life.

Last edited by skiffrace; 06-21-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon