Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM

49 posts, read 98,884 times

Advertisements

I hate to make my start in this forum with something controversial, but since this is the big elephant in the room for me personally, here goes.

I am transgender (male to female). Currently I am transitioning and am looking for a place to go, because the local population in my hometown is decidedly... not friendly to people of my persuasion. I have heard a lot of good things about living in Oregon, ranging from the more progressive atmosphere as compared to my home state of Tennessee and, compared to California and Washington, a lower cost of living. The outdoor recreation opportunities, reasonably relaxed gun laws in many areas, cooler weather and greater variety in local restaurants are definitely a plus, too.

I do not really have a desire to live in Portland "proper" (though not including the closest suburbs), as I am not a huge fan of dealing with the stress of larger cities. I would certainly like to visit Portland a few times a week, but I am looking for something a bit more quiet.

This being said, as a trans person I am obviously going to have some concerns about toleration and personal safety regardless of where I go. I have heard many, many good things about Silverton, and I appreciate the fact that it is a smaller town that still has a reasonable number of businesses and amenities. However, I am unsure of how the local population feels about trans people who are not as prominent or "connected" as the mayor. I realize that a number of people in Silverton do like Stu Rasmussen, but I have seen a few negative comments from natives about them as well, so... I'm curious about people's perceptions.

I guess I was wondering, from the experiences of LGBT people in the area or heterosexual/non-trans people who have seen what local attitudes are, do you think that Silverton would be a good fit for me? I tend to mind my own business and keep to myself, the only reason I'm mentioning my actually BEING trans is because, well... Some people, out in the real world, are obviously going to take notice.

Tell me your thoughts. I am eager to hear what people "on the ground" have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly1989 View Post
I do not really have a desire to live in Portland "proper" (though not including the closest suburbs), as I am not a huge fan of dealing with the stress of larger cities. I would certainly like to visit Portland a few times a week, but I am looking for something a bit more quiet.
Have you been to Portland? A lot of people from outside of Oregon imagine Portland to be something akin to Chicago or Denver. It's not. It's an amalgam of neighborhoods and the general feel within most of those neighborhoods is rather suburban/small city, despite the population of the Portland metro area.

I've lived in the mid-valley (Corvallis) but not in Silverton. I have been there, of course, and my guess would be that Silverton would be in the "medium" category of Oregon's receptivity to trans folks. Optimal receptivity would be Portland, Eugene, Corvallis and Ashland. Lower receptivity would be in smaller towns outside of the Willamette Valley. But there's a live-and-let-live spirit even there, so most Oregonians won't care that much one way or the other. But the fact that you asked suggests that you'd be more comfortable in a community with a strong LGBT support network. That means one of those four cities. Someplace like Silverton will also feel very small very fast.

Quote:
I have heard a lot of good things about living in Oregon, ranging from the more progressive atmosphere as compared to my home state of Tennessee and, compared to California and Washington, a lower cost of living.
One does hear this sort of thing from people who paint with too broad a brush. Just as many people make generalizations about "California" based on their experience in L.A., people make generalizations about "Oregon" based on the experience in Portland. Most of Oregon is fairly conservative/libertarian. There are roughly 5 "blue counties," 26 "red counties" and about 5 "purple counties." On average, Oregon has the most affordable COL on the West Coast, but some places in California are more affordable than some places in Oregon. The most popular spots anywhere are always the least affordable. If the COL is lower in one place compared to another, there are reasons why.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Have you been to Portland? A lot of people from outside of Oregon imagine Portland to be something akin to Chicago or Denver. It's not. It's an amalgam of neighborhoods and the general feel within most of those neighborhoods is rather suburban/small city, despite the population of the Portland metro area.

I've lived in the mid-valley (Corvallis) but not in Silverton. I have been there, of course, and my guess would be that Silverton would be in the "medium" category of Oregon's receptivity to trans folks. Optimal receptivity would be Portland, Eugene, Corvallis and Ashland. Lower receptivity would be in smaller towns outside of the Willamette Valley. But there's a live-and-let-live spirit even there, so most Oregonians won't care that much one way or the other. But the fact that you asked suggests that you'd be more comfortable in a community with a strong LGBT support network. That means one of those four cities. Someplace like Silverton will also feel very small very fast.

One does hear this sort of thing from people who paint with too broad a brush. Just as many people make generalizations about "California" based on their experience in L.A., people make generalizations about "Oregon" based on the experience in Portland. Most of Oregon is fairly conservative/libertarian. There are roughly 5 "blue counties," 26 "red counties" and about 5 "purple counties." On average, Oregon has the most affordable COL on the West Coast, but some places in California are more affordable than some places in Oregon. The most popular spots anywhere are always the least affordable. If the COL is lower in one place compared to another, there are reasons why.
I can't say that I've been to Portland, no. I do have a number of friends who moved to or who are from there, though, hence my interest. I'm aware that it's not a HUGE city, but at the same time, I kind of like the option to have a home on a decently-sized plot of land for a reasonable price (Around 250-300k). That is one of the biggest reasons that I am looking for a place to live that is a bit less "urbanized". At the same time I am also looking for a fairly liberal atmosphere, so I have to make compromises between those two concerns.

I also know that most of Oregon is somewhat conservative, though to be honest with you the most "liberal" areas of my home state would be considered moderately right-wing outside of the Southeast. My home county recently went 70% in favor of Romney, with my hometown trending towards 85% according to local estimates. With this in mind, I'm sure that a good portion of the state will be reasonably progressive (in my perception) by comparison. But that being said, I'm keeping most of my searches restricted to the area around Portland for a reason. I considered Eugene at one point, but since I have heard a lot of not-so-good things about the job market there, I might have to pass on that option. It seems like a nice place otherwise, but I feel like I might have better luck in the northwestern part of the state.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Silverton hospital is the job market there. Are you a nurse or otherwise affiliated with allied healthcare? If no, I don't understand the appeal of Silverton. It is not a liberal community. It is very family friendly and apple pie. Yet they have a transgender Mayor... go figure.

Driving to Oregon five years ago we pulled off the Interstate in some postage stamp sized town in Wyoming. I was real nervous but there was nothing else to do. We had vehicle issues and we needed help. It was a revelation to see the living incarnation of Cleavon Little (Blazing Saddles) walking downtown. He was not, afaik, Cleavon Little, but he was clearly 'at home' in this most unlikely place and what do you think about that?

I always found it bemusing (not amusing) when I would meet out LGBT people who had fled(?) restrictive communities in Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and West Virginia to come to New York. They would then settle in some tolerant part of NYC like Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst and be promptly gay bashed by the open minded New Yorkers they had read so much about back home. Mind you, nothing like that had ever happened to them in their home states.

You think your hometown is decidedly unfriendly to people of your "persuasion". Maybe, but I doubt it. It's probably because they knew you when. People in Silverton won't like you anymore or any less than the people in your home town. IF you are going to move clear across the country to come to a liberal bastion where one's own freak flag can proudly fly free.... why wouldn't you consider the area best known for such tolerance? That would be Portland proper unless I sorely miss my guess. Stress of big city? WTF. Sorry. WTH? Visit Portland. Visit Silverton. Make your own choice.

H

Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Silverton hospital is the job market there. Are you a nurse or otherwise affiliated with allied healthcare? If no, I don't understand the appeal of Silverton. It is not a liberal community. It is very family friendly and apple pie. Yet they have a transgender Mayor... go figure.

Driving to Oregon five years ago we pulled off the Interstate in some postage stamp sized town in Wyoming. I was real nervous but there was nothing else to do. We had vehicle issues and we needed help. It was a revelation to see the living incarnation of Cleavon Little (Blazing Saddles) walking downtown. He was not, afaik, Cleavon Little, but he was clearly 'at home' in this most unlikely place and what do you think about that?

I always found it bemusing (not amusing) when I would meet out LGBT people who had fled(?) restrictive communities in Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and West Virginia to come to New York. They would then settle in some tolerant part of NYC like Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst and be promptly gay bashed by the open minded New Yorkers they had read so much about back home. Mind you, nothing like that had ever happened to them in their home states.

You think your hometown is decidedly unfriendly to people of your "persuasion". Maybe, but I doubt it. It's probably because they knew you when. People in Silverton won't like you anymore or any less than the people in your home town. IF you are going to move clear across the country to come to a liberal bastion where one's own freak flag can proudly fly free.... why wouldn't you consider the area best known for such tolerance? That would be Portland proper unless I sorely miss my guess. Stress of big city? WTF. Sorry. WTH? Visit Portland. Visit Silverton. Make your own choice.

H
Wow, I didn't really expect that I would get such a hostile response. Go figure.

I find it odd that you are assuming that I am "seeing things that aren't there" with regards to my hometown. I am not going to go into detail about my experiences because I do not really wish to recount them, on a thread where I wanted to talk about moving FORWARD, for the benefit of someone who doubts that they happened anyway... But rest assured, even among people that I did not know previously, I have been shunned and attacked on numerous occasions. This is not a friendly environment.

Hence why I assumed that, at least if I moved to a state that is noted for being more LGBT-friendly than my own, I would at least increase my chances of finding people who were not violently opposed to what I am doing with my life. I feel like that's an entirely reasonable assumption, despite the fact that people who are hostile will, clearly, be found in some numbers almost anywhere.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Holly
I'm in Silverton once a week doing my volunteer thing and love it out there..
So today I was visiting with some of younger counter parts in the world of horticulture and
ask the question you ask..Its just not an issue you'll feel welcome there..
I've heard all good about the hospital, they are putting in new dog park, the train noise
is not noticeable, lots of places to walk and its less than 20 minutes from Salem..
Come visit before you make the big switch..
Our experience in Oregon is a smile and hello will go a long ways..
good luck with your search.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Holly
I'm in Silverton once a week doing my volunteer thing and love it out there..
So today I was visiting with some of younger counter parts in the world of horticulture and
ask the question you ask..Its just not an issue you'll feel welcome there..
I've heard all good about the hospital, they are putting in new dog park, the train noise
is not noticeable, lots of places to walk and its less than 20 minutes from Salem..
Come visit before you make the big switch..
Our experience in Oregon is a smile and hello will go a long ways..
good luck with your search.
Thank you for the courteous reply. I will definitely be checking out the area before I move, preferably 2-3 trips before I make my final decision. I believe that you should thoroughly research any area before you take such a big step, hence why I'm posting here.

Don't think I'll mind any trains too much, my hometown has tracks running through the main part of the city and we are all used to the noise from that. I am a little concerned about the local job market, but since I assumed that I might need to find a job in Salem anyway I don't think it will be that big of a problem.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't really expect that I would get such a hostile response. Go figure.
You need to really try and understand what people are saying to you.
If you're going to be thin skinned and quick to offend, anywhere you go will be uncomfortable for you...
You were the one that asked the questions.

I didn't think that response was hostile at all.

The "anonymity" of living in Portland might work out well for you.
Silverton's a pretty small town, and the people (for the most part) there are good.

Realize that Silverton is surrounded by farm country and all that goes with it, but I think it's always been considered one of the more liberal towns out there.
It is really a small town when to compared to Portland and you may feel "cramped" there.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-12-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You need to really try and understand what people are saying to you.
If you're going to be thin skinned and quick to offend, anywhere you go will be uncomfortable for you...
You were the one that asked the questions.

I didn't think that response was hostile at all.

The "anonymity" of living in Portland might work out well for you.
Silverton's a pretty small town, and the people (for the most part) there are good.

Realize that Silverton is surrounded by farm country and all that goes with it, but I think it's always been considered one of the more liberal towns out there.
It is really a small town when to compared to Portland and you may feel "cramped" there.
If someone questions my knowledge/judgment about a place that I have lived in for 20+ years, and seems to say that I am foolish for looking for a more liberal area to live in, then yes, I am going to assume that their response is hostile. I think that's pretty reasonable.

That being said, given the available information I've seen thus far, you might be right about Portland. I'll just have to see what further responses here say about the area.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
If someone questions my knowledge/judgment about a place that I have lived in for 20+ years, and seems to say that I am foolish for looking for a more liberal area to live in, then yes, I am going to assume that their response is hostile. I think that's pretty reasonable.

That being said, given the available information I've seen thus far, you might be right about Portland. I'll just have to see what further responses here say about the area.
You aren't foolish for seeking a more liberal area to live in, but if you were thinking that that area is Silverton, OR... ... I merely aimed to point out that that was not quite true, nevertheless, I was not being intentionally hostile. Did you choose to miss the wry asides in my post that were meant to take the harder edges off my message? I choose to adopt a more "plain spoken" style on City Data. Personally, I consider it more helpful than the sugary rubber stamp posts that we may like to read but do much harm in their avoidance of the more unpleasant realities of many decisions. Such as: a commute from Silverton to Salem... you don't want to do that. I only had to do it twice a week, every day would become old in a hurry. I know you don't want to hear that, but what good would I be as a source of good advice if I only told you what you want to hear. After the disaster of the Salem/Silverton experience of 2004 I returned to NYC to recharge. Been back in the PNW since 2008 and picked Portland ... err Hillsboro... 17 miles makes a big difference. I should have picked Portland. I knew better! If you are at all different, and there are lots of ways to be different besides the obvious ones of an LGBT presentation, there will be more outright acceptance to be found in Portland proper than in all the other suburbs, cities and small towns in Oregon combined.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon