U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:07 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,074,329 times

Advertisements

My sneak prediction is Oregon State. I think Chip Kelly was a super unique coach and UO will have a bit of a down year in his absence. I think OSU will break the 10 win mark this year. Both teams will go bowling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM

780 posts, read 1,411,263 times
I could only agree on the last statement, as I'm pretty confident of bowl season for both, considering the bar is set so low to go to a bowl.

The change at UO will be interesting, but if the program is as good as it is, the change at the top shouldn't have that big of an effect, IMO. Looking at their schedule, they avoid perhaps the two biggest thorns in the South (USC/ASU), so that will bode well.

Riley (despite how much I like him) will be outcoached in at least 2-3 games, resulting in L's. They have the real potential to win their first seven, then lose their last five. They'll definitely need to start super hot to get the confidence going into the back half of the season, IMO.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,769,912 times
My bet - the Oregon college football team with the best chance of winning a title is the Linfield Wildcats in Division III.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
My bet - the Oregon college football team with the best chance of winning a title is the Linfield Wildcats in Division III.
I grew up in the same county as Mt. Union, the undisputed king of D3 football. On the plus side for Linfield (and other D3 powerhouses, e.g. UW Whitewater, St. Thomas, etc.), Mount's longtime coach, Larry Kehres, just retired. It'll be interesting to see if that turnover makes a difference.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,646,685 times
From a technical standpoint the system should be as solid without Kelley. My biggest concern is the number of players that said Kelley made such a positive change if their lives as players and as persons in general. That will be hard to replace. I think Chip had an ability to squeeze something out of his players that even they didn't know was there.

But my vote is still for Oregon.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,769,912 times
Quote:
I grew up in the same county as Mt. Union, the undisputed king of D3 football.
The Purple Raiders are very, very tough to beat. And probably always will be.

Oddly enough, both of those schools (Linfield and Mt. Union) are located in areas that kind of look similar to each other. The rolling hills, the farms, surrounding towns of roughly similar population... though northeastern Ohio certainly has a lot more color-changing deciduous trees. I've always thought it was a really nice-looking area, geographically. It's certainly a good place to play football.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The Purple Raiders are very, very tough to beat. And probably always will be.

Oddly enough, both of those schools (Linfield and Mt. Union) are located in areas that kind of look similar to each other. The rolling hills, the farms, surrounding towns of roughly similar population... though northeastern Ohio certainly has a lot more color-changing deciduous trees. I've always thought it was a really nice-looking area, geographically. It's certainly a good place to play football.
Considering the football is God mentality that many have in Ohio, it's definitely a fun region to watch football!

For what it's worth - Ohio has nothing on Oregon in scenery. Really hard for the Buckeye State to compare when Stark County's highest spot is about 800' and the highest place in the state is under 2000'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon