U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM

222 posts, read 419,172 times

Advertisements

I need some help for I can't find the answer.

A couple of weeks ago I drove over to McNary Dam in Umatilla for work. Somewhere around milepost 129 I saw some bighorn sheep grazing. After I got done with business I stopped in Hermiston to get a melon and decided to get a haircut too. I told the lady cutting my hair where I lived. She went into this long story about how all the bighorn sheep in the gorge (I realize some have problems with anything outside the defined Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area being called the gorge but that's what she called it) were all dead. "Really. How did they all die?" I asked. She explained in some detail how they were determined dangerous and could cause an accident when people gawked at them or when they crossed the freeway to drink out of the Columbia, so the State of Oregon decided it best to fly each one by helicopter to the Wallowa Mountains at great taxpayer expense. Once there, every one of them got sick and died. "WTH kind of State do we live in anyway?" She asked I guess rhetorically.

So I asked some buddies at work and no one knows about this. I looked online and found there were some bighorn sheep in Washington that died from pneumonia. But, I could find nothing about sheep being flown from the gorge to the Wallowas, let alone dying once they got there.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,199,950 times
No, it is not true. First off the logistics of doing something like that would be near impossible to do. Secondly, all airborne operations have been to REPOPULATE areas not depopulate them.

This article from OPB gives a bit clearer picture.

Bighorn sheep released in two new Oregon spots » News » OPB

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,638,809 times
The other "urban legend" story that everyone will SWEAR is true is that the midges in the Klamath Falls are were introduced to control mosquito populations. Sounds amusing, but total BS, they are native (all 3 species).

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM

222 posts, read 419,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
No, it is not true. First off the logistics of doing something like that would be near impossible to do. Secondly, all airborne operations have been to REPOPULATE areas not depopulate them.

This article from OPB gives a bit clearer picture.

Bighorn sheep released in two new Oregon spots » News » OPB
Thanks, I saw that when I was searching for answers. Hopefully, the population of California and Rocky Mountain bighorns will grow. They are fascinating creatures. I took some photos once but they aren't that good.

I'm sure most know this true story about the Oregon mountain goat, but in case someone doesn't here it is Reader's Digest style:

A Sherman County rancher saw a mountain goat standing in his wheat field. Presumably, Mr. Mountain Goat had come down from the Strawberry Mountains, though no one knows for sure. Some time later reports came from several people along I-84 near the mouth of the Deschutes River, just east of The Dalles, about a mountain goat being sighted. Soon after, he was seen standing in the median strip along the freeway near Celilo. Biologists captured and collared him. The goat hung out around The Dalles for awhile and people were betting where he'd go next. He dropped off the radar, so to speak, then suddenly he and his tracking signal emerged on the Washington side of the Columbia. He had swum across the river, no easy task. Once in Washington he navigated his way to the south slopes of Mt. Adams where he's taken up residence, at least for now. All told, it is estimated he walked at least 200 miles to his new digs.

It begs to be asked, why Washington?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,199,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
All told, it is estimated he walked at least 200 miles to his new digs.

It begs to be asked, why Washington?
Because Washington's land use laws are less restrictive and the tax burden for small business owners is less onerous.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,466,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Because Washington's land use laws are less restrictive and the tax burden for small business owners is less onerous.
....and it's easier to make friends there.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

16,216 posts, read 19,221,265 times
He mite be heading fer Glacier National Park......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon