Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM

14 posts, read 60,469 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Oregon from SC a year ago. I had the same thing
happen. A man came running out in a panic over pumping my own gas. I was told that it all stared when some women left her gas pump in and drove
away with it still in the gas tank and then somehow it sparked and blew up the whole gas station, then Oregon passed that law. This is what I was told, not sure of its truth, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,090,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Proponents of slavery claimed that it was in the slaves best interest to accept slavery because they were being housed and fed so they should be happy for that service. What's the difference between that and pump service if the service is being forced on you against your will?
I think I've seen it all. I never thought I'd see the day someone would equate being unable to pump your own gas with slavery.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM

5,401 posts, read 8,082,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I think I've seen it all. I never thought I'd see the day someone would equate being unable to pump your own gas with slavery.
Even more important than the slavery question is:
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO??? Would he allow somebody to pump his gas??? Would he pump his own gas??? Would he pay cash, or would he use a credit card issued by THE MONEY LENDERS FROM THE TEMPLE???

Excuse me, I have to go take my pill.

Last edited by karlsch; 05-13-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,402,416 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing about oppression: You don't realize you're missing a freedom until you try to use it.

I had two cars damaged by gas attendants, I was under a de facto arrest while waiting for them and my schedule had limitations (small, but annoying) on gas days.

If you find full-service of benefit to you, more power to you... but please consider that some of us have been terribly inconvenient and a little costly and ask yourself why your demand for full-service is justification for my inconvenience... Why do I owe you so much that you're willing to support governmental use of force (inherant in any government act) to coerce me?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM

What you fail to appreciate is WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. It's not us ... and then the government. It's all us. We decide on what rules we will cooperate on. Unless you're the sort of a person who has to have everything go your way, you learn to live with the rules we've all agreed upon, even if you weren't in favor of it. If you don't like it, campaign against it. But don't just sit there and ***** that THEY are imposing something on us.

And if you really want force and tyranny imposed by THEM ... I guess you didn't live through the gas-shortage days of the 70s. When on certain days you weren't even allowed to buy gas. OMG!

But, yes, I do appreciate that a lot of you have been inconvenient.

Welcome to life.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
What you fail to appreciate is WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. It's not us ... and then the government. It's all us.
Actually, (without getting complicate,) it's 51% of the electorate who is the government at any time. The only place we're in 100% agreement is a need for mutual defense and order.

If we were all the government, there'd be no need for the Bill of Rights... because the majority always respects the minority.

Quote:
We decide on what rules we will cooperate on. Unless you're the sort of a person who has to have everything go your way, you learn to live with the rules we've all agreed upon, even if you weren't in favor of it.
Everyone didn't agree on slavery. Should everyone of just lived with it? (No intent for drama, just weeding out the underlying beliefs.)

Quote:
If you don't like it, campaign against it. But don't just sit there and ***** that THEY are imposing something on us.
What makes you think complaining and citing my issues aren't campaigning? I'm appealing to your good sense about the unjust hardship I suffer unnecessarily.

Quote:
And if you really want force and tyranny imposed by THEM ...
Tyranny is gradual. If you disregard my concerns about gas pumps, you'll slide to the next step toward it. You'll slide so far that it's too late to do anything practical aboutit.

Quote:
But, yes, I do appreciate that a lot of you have been inconvenient. Welcome to life.
I find it interesting that you'll minimize my grievance, yet not answer my questions.

What does anyone who doesn't want full-service owe you or anyone else? Why does your desire for it outweigh the hardship I experience?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I find it interesting that you'll minimize my grievance, yet not answer my questions.

What does anyone who doesn't want full-service owe you or anyone else? Why does your desire for it outweigh the hardship I experience?
Hardship? I find your so-called grievance is petty. Extremely petty.

You had cars damaged? How? Cosmetically? Pfft. It's just a stupid car. Scratches, dings, dents are all petty inconveniences. And to get all het up over something like that is having your priorities all out of whack, and probably means you spent too much money on it. So your car doesn't look "perfect" as it goes down the street? Big deal. Spend a little more and get it fixed.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Hardship? I find your so-called grievance is petty. Extremely petty.

You had cars damaged? How? Cosmetically? Pfft. It's just a stupid car. Scratches, dings, dents are all petty inconveniences. And to get all het up over something like that is having your priorities all out of whack, and probably means you spent too much money on it. So your car doesn't look "perfect" as it goes down the street? Big deal. Spend a little more and get it fixed.
You still didn't answer my question. What does anyone owe you?

Whether you find it petty or not, it's my property that is important to me. Why do feel the right to infringe on that value of mine?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 PM

26,486 posts, read 36,338,220 times
Geez, move out of the state already...try Alaska where you get to pump your own gas at forty below. I haven't seen a single post by you that isn't full of bitterness and anger towards Oregon. Please leave.

Quote:
When I first moved to Oregon from SC a year ago. I had the same thing
happen. A man came running out in a panic over pumping my own gas. I was told that it all stared when some women left her gas pump in and drove
away with it still in the gas tank and then somehow it sparked and blew up the whole gas station, then Oregon passed that law. This is what I was told, not sure of its truth, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.
Uh yeah, that was me.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You still didn't answer my question. What does anyone owe you?

Whether you find it petty or not, it's my property that is important to me. Why do feel the right to infringe on that value of mine?
I infringed on nothing. Someone else may have. I do have the right to not give a fig about it.

And what you, and me, owes everyone else (including me) is this .... to follow the laws that we, the people, have agreed upon by passing into law. Sure, it's your free choice to follow them or not, but if you don't you'll have to suffer the agreed upon penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon