Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib
Why can't you pump your own gas in Oregon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahzeltoffee View Post
Because we do not want to
Just rediscovered this post after getting a rep point for something I said earlier. I never saw the exchange above, but I find it incredibly presumptuous for someone to speak for an entire state. How do you know every single Oregonian does not want the choice to pump his or her own gas?

This, in fact, is one of a handful of reasons why we are no longer looking at Oregon as a place to relocate. It's not the inability to pump my own gas, per se, but rather the underlying attitude behind it. If a state government takes away my choice to do something that I can freely do in 48 other states around the country, what else is it going to tell me what I can't do? It's the principle of the matter. I don't WANT to be told I have to sit in my car and wait 10 minutes for some minimum-wage pump jockey to stick a nozzle in my tank. I'm kinda partial to that whole "freedom of choice" thing that some of us still embrace in this country. This self-serve ban in Oregon smacks of backwards-thinking, bureaucratic protectionism -- the same kind that's allowing the unions to slowly kill off the auto industry in Detroit.

Just give people the choice. That doesn't seem to be so much to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
It's not the inability to pump my own gas, per se, but rather the underlying attitude behind it. If a state government takes away my choice ...

The choice was never taken away. It was never there in the first place. (at least for multiple decades).

People have the choice. But whenever a legislator tries to change the law there's a public outcry against self serve. That's the people's choice in action!!

Maybe you go to the wrong gas stations. I've never waited 10 minutes.

If you want to pump your own gas, then get a farm tank or sign up at a fleet fueling service.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 66,004 times
I was originally from California and Nevada so I have pumped my own gas my entire life until I moved to Oregon. It was really strange to me that I couldn't pump my own gas. I remember my first time i said, "don't worry about it I can pump it" and the guy tells me im not allowed to pump gas into my car wtf? I guess I enjoy getting out of the vehicle and doing it myself. It does give a ton of jobs to the lower class though. I wouldn't mind having the choice of self service.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I remember my first visit to Oregon, I pulled into the filling station and got out to get some gas. When I grabbed the handle a guy comes running out waving his arms shouting "What are you doing!?"...I reply "What do you think, my car needs gas so I thought a gas station might be the place to go". He describes that Oregon you can't pump your own gas, I wondered out loud if I suddenly got too stupid to pump my own gas when I crossed state lines...but he just shrugged and said it's the law.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientemotion View Post
I wouldn't mind having the choice of self service.
Me neither but instead of getting to choose self service at a few cents cheaper then current prices, the gas stations would either eliminate full service all together or charge a huge price premium for full service while making current full serve price the new self serve prices.

At least that's one of the arguments against changing the law.

Last edited by davefr; 04-22-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
Being disabled, I would rather someone else pump my gas, then me try to get out of my car, and walk painfully to put in the gas myself. Its why I make sure that my Wife or kids are in the car, so 'they' can pump it and run and pay for the gas!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Wow, I never knew that there were states that didn't allow customers to pump their own gas. Sounds heavenly! I wish we had that here, especially in the winter
Need to get out more often..

Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
This, in fact, is one of a handful of reasons why we are no longer looking at Oregon as a place to relocate.
I would worry more about the lack of jobs.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Just rediscovered this post after getting a rep point for something I said earlier. I never saw the exchange above, but I find it incredibly presumptuous for someone to speak for an entire state. How do you know every single Oregonian does not want the choice to pump his or her own gas?

This, in fact, is one of a handful of reasons why we are no longer looking at Oregon as a place to relocate. It's not the inability to pump my own gas, per se, but rather the underlying attitude behind it. If a state government takes away my choice to do something that I can freely do in 48 other states around the country, what else is it going to tell me what I can't do? It's the principle of the matter. I don't WANT to be told I have to sit in my car and wait 10 minutes for some minimum-wage pump jockey to stick a nozzle in my tank. I'm kinda partial to that whole "freedom of choice" thing that some of us still embrace in this country. This self-serve ban in Oregon smacks of backwards-thinking, bureaucratic protectionism -- the same kind that's allowing the unions to slowly kill off the auto industry in Detroit.

The state of Oregon is actually pretty big on personal freedom, so long as you're not harming the environment too much. The no self-serve law isn't about freedom of choice and should not make Oregon appear as a nanny state government. Look at California. They can pump their own gas, but it's a TOTAL nanny state that practically tells you when you can and can't go to the bathroom. And they even tuck you in for your afternoon nap. And they weigh visitors when they enter and leave so they can tax them on their water consumption during their stay in CA. Not the case in Oregon. The people have spoken multiple times. We don't want to pump our own gas! I sure as hell don't! Our government doesn't really care either way I don't think.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: personal attacks not necessary or permitted

Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
As a lifelong resident of Oregon, I will respond in the typical Oregonian fashion. If you don't like not being able to pump your gas, don't buy your gas here. Problem solved. Buy it somewhere else where you can pump it yourself. No one is making you buy gas in Oregon. You might think it's stupid, but obviously we like it or it would not be that way.
I'm not trying to be rude, but that's the way it is here. If we didn't like it we would have changed it. And BTW nothing galls a true Oregonian more than someone telling them how much better it is where they came from.

God Bless Tom McCall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon