Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM

224 posts, read 456,245 times

Advertisements

Hiya all-

I lived in Alaska for 40 years (born and raised), several years ago my wife and I had decided the winters were too long and the summers too short. I had an oppourtunity to move to Hawaii for work so we did. Now it's been almost 2 years in Hawaii and I'm tired of it... got 'rock fever'. Alaska was the second most remote state to live in, Hawaii is the first.

For whatever reason I've got it stuck in my head that I'd like to live in Oregon. I work away from home and can live anywhere, employment isn't an issue.

We want to avoid incredibly hot summers, 80 is on the hot side for me but still bearable. Also want to avoid Alaskan winters, some snow is fine but -40 sucks. I'm not interested in living in the rain all the time, 0-2" of rain a month is what we're used to in Alaska.

Interested in a smaller town, I was originally looking around Corvalis, now I'm thinking about Bend but not absoloutly sure at this point. We wouldn't want to be in town but not to far away from shopping, dining etc.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Try Dallas.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Well, I've lived in both Alaska and Oregon for all of my life, much of that time working rotationally in Alaska and spending the rest of the time in Oregon. From your description of what you want, I don't know if that exists in Oregon. I don't think that summers are incredibly hot anywhere in the state, but it does get over 80 quite frequently everywhere but on the coast, and even that area gets some hot days.

Would you be flying out for work on a regular basis? When I did that, I personally found that using the Eugene airport was much more convenient than dealing with the long lines and other hassles of PDX.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM

The only issue being the 30% surcharge for flying out of Eugene to many locations. Although Allegiant can't be beat for basic flights to Oakland, Las Vegas, LA, Hawaii, and Phoenix (Mesa).

Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
A lot of Alaskans live down in Klamath Falls, in fact it's been joked that is one of the towns biggest imports. Summers are warm, it's semi-arid scrub forest. Winters have snow, but not really cold. Less rain then the left side of the state. Politics are about as Conservative.

Bend would be a slightly better choice, only because there is more money in town. Klamath Falls' best days are long gone and there is very little on the horizon to give one hope that they will ever come back.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
... ... Klamath Falls' best days are long gone and there is very little on the horizon to give one hope that they will ever come back.
Sad isn't it.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM

224 posts, read 456,245 times
I'd probably be flying out of Portland. I only have to travel every other month, so I don't mind the drive or a busy airport.

Having seen 90 degrees almost every day for the past 2 years, I guess I can handle 90 every now and then.

My wife has a cousin that lives in Bend, she's kinda biased towards there. Thanks for the input, I'll look into Dallas and Klamath. I spent a weekend in Klamath a while back, seemed like a nice place.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 AM

222 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Klamath Falls' best days are long gone and there is very little on the horizon to give one hope that they will ever come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sad isn't it.
The State of Jefferson will fix that.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
A lot of Alaskans live down in Klamath Falls, in fact it's been joked that is one of the towns biggest imports. Summers are warm, it's semi-arid scrub forest. Winters have snow, but not really cold. Less rain then the left side of the state. Politics are about as Conservative.

Bend would be a slightly better choice, only because there is more money in town. Klamath Falls' best days are long gone and there is very little on the horizon to give one hope that they will ever come back.
I agree with this. Klamath Falls is a town of about 60-75,000 metro area and has remote feel to it. The Bend/Redmond area is about 250,000 metro population and has a distinctive California "I'm suing you if you **** me off" attitude. But it is beautiful. If you want a really small community, I suggest LaPine. It's about 30 miles south of Bend.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
What kind of shopping and dining? If you will be content with WalMart and buffet or large-portion restaurants, then KFalls might fit. Living in Hawaii, if you are accustomed to good Chinese/Asian food and fresh fish, you'll have to get that while traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon