U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 8,173 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be visiting Oregon in late September and will be staying in Sun River. We would like to see as much as we can while we are there and would definitely like to see the coast. My idea is one day to drive over to Newport and head North up the coast. We also thought about seeing Crater Lake. This is our first time this far out west and might be our one shot to see Oregon so I'm looking for suggestions from the locals. Anything from places to eat, places to see, things that aren't worth seeing. We are 2 adults late 30s no children and we are flying so we don't have equipment for anything past light hiking.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing Oregon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 PM

26,220 posts, read 34,859,092 times
It sounds like you are staying for many days if you intend to cover that much territory.

Crater lake is well worth the drive. Paulina Lake, which is close to Sunriver is also a caldera and very beautiful. If you like scenery, drive century drive from Sunriver to Bend, stopping at several of the lakes along the way.

A drive along the coast is very worth while. The Oregon coast can compete with anywhere in the world for scenery.

Bend is full of excellent restaurants. There are so many good ones that the bad ones can't survive, so it is difficult to make a mistake when choosing where to eat.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM

We do have a week but 2 of those days will be taken up by travel out there and back. What about the weather? I planned on bringing shorts and long sleeve shirts, does that sound appropriate? Is there a coastal town that might be nice to stay overnight north of Newport? I read something about a state park pass, is that something we should get before we head out there. You mention the lakes, are there scenic overlooks or small parks around the lakes or does one simply pull off the road?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Also is it too late in the reason for rafting?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 AM

4,258 posts, read 6,480,389 times
I would drive to Florence and then drive North. There is a lot to see between Florence and Newport.

If you could stay one night on the coast, you could leave early, drive to Crater Lake and spend a few hours, and from there, drive to the coast.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Would Florence be a good place to stay and then head out towards Newport the following morning?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,215,896 times
Personally, I would skip Sunriver totally. Or at best only for a single night or two while you're exploring Central Oregon (Crater Lake, Bend, Peterson Rock Museum, Fort Rock, High Desert Museum.) Then cross over to the Coast. Drive from Florence up to Astoria, stay in Florence, Newport/Lincoln City, or Astoria depending on your schedule.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 AM

4,258 posts, read 6,480,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamac45 View Post
Would Florence be a good place to stay and then head out towards Newport the following morning?
Florence would be a very good place to stay.

In case you are wondering if this is a good plan, I did something similar, except in reverse, earlier this month.

I had been staying in Yachats, north of Florence, for a few days.

Rather than driving directly back to Baker City, where I live, I decided to visit Crater Lake.

I left Yachats at 8:00am, arrived at Crater Lake at noon, and spent the afternoon seeing the sights including taking the rim drive.

I then drove to La Pine, arriving at 7:00pm, where I spent the night before continuing on home.

Crater Lake seemed even bluer than usual:

Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,848,011 times
Bring a hoodie and some jeans for the Coast to keep the chill and dampness off. Also, allow your body for some elevation changes when you travel from mountain elevations to the Coast in short times. Remember to hide your valuables out of sight and lock your car doors on beach pullouts. Stay safe and Have Fun. Don't forget your camera.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,763,915 times
Pack warm clothes. The Crater Lake rim is 7000 feet, and the coast can be very windy, though probably not cold (below 50 degrees) this time of year. Do the loop the other direction. Driving south on 101 puts you on the ocean side of the highway, and you will see more. Turnouts are easier also if you don't have to cross traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon