Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:19 PM

91 posts, read 436,302 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to why people would sell the Arbor home after buying it just a year or two previously. Villebois sure looks nice....

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM

252 posts, read 953,384 times
Job transfer? death in the family? Change in financial circumstances? There are plenty of reasons. Villebois is supposed to be wonderful. Read good things about it in the paper all the time. I worked in Wilsonville for nine years but before it was finished.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM

152 posts, read 530,924 times
I am sure as in all developments there are investment buyers who want to get in on the deal at the initial offering, my worry about these home, and I lived formerly accross the street was the building in the rain, with the homes being sided at a time when they looked drenched, the rapid pace of the build, the exsitence of contractors there at odd times and sorry, cookie cutter look was a bit of an eyesore, plus access to I-5, gona be a major problem, and where are the kids going to school wilsonville or sherwood, just another no forsight issue the city council ignored.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 PM

You bring up interesting points, Lil Peg, about building in the rain and how quickly builders seem to throw a house up. I had wondered about that whether building stops or slows down during the rainy months or does it go on as usual?

If the contractors are doing everything on their list, then doing it very quickly wouldn't bother me...what does is that I'm not there to see it. Not that I would be if I bought a house that was built 10 years ago either. I guess a solid inspection of the home and the contract is my best bet.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 AM

I am sure the builders are complying with all codes, It seemed that there was more building than usual during the rain days. But the development was having to deal with the city goverment not know what the left hand opposed to the right hand was doing. If you have a builder with a good reputation and get the proper warrenty in place you should be fine.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplwh View Post
You bring up interesting points, Lil Peg, about building in the rain and how quickly builders seem to throw a house up. I had wondered about that whether building stops or slows down during the rainy months or does it go on as usual?

If the contractors are doing everything on their list, then doing it very quickly wouldn't bother me...what does is that I'm not there to see it. Not that I would be if I bought a house that was built 10 years ago either. I guess a solid inspection of the home and the contract is my best bet.
There were two subdivisions going up near my house earlier this year, one of $600K + houses and one of very low $200k houses. During framing, you could tell which was which only by the size of the houses - not by the quality of the framing or the materials used or the speed or care with which they went up, nor by the size of the lot or how close together the houses were. It was eye-opening, in a way. Expensive houses weren't particularly framed any better, as far as quality of wood, exactness of centers or squareness of walls. Presumably the final fit and finishes and options were better in the higher end houses, but the bones weren't any better.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsux View Post
I would be very careful about buying Villebois. Arbor is known for building very shoddy homes. They often use wet wood, vinyl siding, mexican labor...they are a big builder who knows how to slap up a house very quickly. I personally think Villebois is a big rip off.
They may be fast, but how many builders do you know of that don't build with wet wood?

Very few builders limit themselves to framing and roofing in the summer.

Otherwise, lumber sits in the rain, gets cut and framed, then dries. Name a builder that builds a roof over the framing lumber.

As for construction, I've seen some marvelous craftmanship in construction and landscaping by Mexican workers.

It's not the race that matters.

Sometimes, I think people post similar comments because they are real estate agents or builders trying use forums to affect the market.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsux View Post
I would be very careful about buying Villebois. Arbor is known for building very shoddy homes. They often use wet wood, vinyl siding, mexican labor...they are a big builder who knows how to slap up a house very quickly. I personally think Villebois is a big rip off.
you may have invalidated your remark with the ethnic thing, but the Villebois was a railroad job that was shoved down on the neighboring homes with input being ignored at the community meetings, again how are all the people going to get on the freeway, and by the way the landscaping is being moved accordingly to what part is being pushed. The workers are not at fault here, just the crank it out way they are being pushed. Again, the city has not done it duty to the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 PM

And how does the local community feel about villebois? Were there open meetings about heir proposals and how did the locals react?

Very curious!!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
I just started a new thread about using GPS to share Oregon.

One of the last links I added for an example, was to Villebois Drive in Wilsonville.

It's a Google Earth file link.

Shows a graded field and roads prior to construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon