Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

A good example of keeping government out of private lives. Oregon is at the very bottom of the list.

https://www.upworthy.com/why-oklahom...sht-list?c=bl3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Oh man. Oregon tops the list where it is easiest to kill your fetus. I am prouder now to have been born in Oregon. I mean look at the odds! I AM A WINNER! I made it out of the womb alive!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
You big government types are all the same. If you don't like something, the gummint should make it illegal. Well, I remember when it was illegal to get an abortion in Oregon. There were teenage girls performing abortions on each other, squirting their uterus full of pHisohex and sucking it back out with a vacuum cleaner. Making abortions illegal didn't stop abortions, they just made them unsafe and killed or ruined a bunch of young girls who often didn't even know for sure that they were pregnant.

Maybe you would be proud that Oregon leads the nation in providing pre-natal care for expectant mothers, which greatly reduces premature babies, birth defects and infant death.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM

I am hardly for big government. I just dont think completely unrestricted abortion is the best way to go.

With freedom comes responsibility. Ru486 should have ended the debate. Hell, they should sell it in bars.

I will take it one step further I dont want to pay for your abortion, rent & transportation either.

That pretty much lets me out of big gummint.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Also, social scientists from all over the world are visiting Portland to research out our sub culture 30-50,000 people who work for cash only at local businesses and then colect welfare, housing subsidies, free health care... and make a very fine living doing so.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I am hardly for big government. I just dont think completely unrestricted abortion is the best way to go.

With freedom comes responsibility. Ru486 should have ended the debate. Hell, they should sell it in bars.
Pay grudgingly now, or pay dearly later. Civilized countries realize that unwanted children do not make the best neighbors. Do you want to be responsible for the flood of unwanted children that would result if abortion services were denied totally? RU486, like other beneficial products to humanity that are somehow tied to sex, has been restricted, vilified and pushed to the back corners of public awareness. It's done here. Mainstream birth control, should have ended the debate, but the very people forming protest gauntlets around abortion clinics also do not want women to have anything to do with birth control. They want them to abstain! That's mostly because misery likes company. What's your excuse for caring what other people do with their bodies. And spare me the "I don't want to pay for it" talking point. If I thought it would really shut you up, I'd pay you the $25 that was your portion of Planned Parenthood's yearly operating budget.

H

Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Civilized countries realize that unwanted children do not make the best neighbors.
Weird how when Abortion was essentially legalized across the US that crime rates doubly digit dropped eighteen years later.

I'm not saying there is a causation, but the people most likely to get abortions are lower income people. Who in turn tend to have lower income children who grow up to be low income adults. Who in turn tend to turn to crime more often then people who are middle class.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Weird how when Abortion was essentially legalized across the US that crime rates doubly digit dropped eighteen years later.

I'm not saying there is a causation, but the people most likely to get abortions are lower income people. Who in turn tend to have lower income children who grow up to be low income adults. Who in turn tend to turn to crime more often then people who are middle class.
I highly doubt there is a true relationship between abortion and crime. But I suppose there has to be between abortion and social services money.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM

The point I was trying to make is that there is some responsibility in the unwanted pregnancy game. Say we dont need/want all these unwanted babies born. What exactly is the root cause? It would cost less to sterilize the people you dont want to have babies than to grant free abortions.

Does that hurt your sensibilities?

We are a culture of enablers. You let it happen and support it.

You can take the money from my pocket, I do not have to think that its "OK".

Blazer that is interesting. I would love to see some linkage to that.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times
Whatever your views on Abortion, the law of the land has legalized it. And the legislation enabling it has passed constitutional muster in a variety of court challenges.

Rather than beat one's breast over abortion, it would be better to insure that no one ever feels it necessary to have one. Supporting such organizations as Planned Parenthood and making contraceptive devices more readily available than at present and at costs even the impoverished could bear would go a long way towards that end.

We have allowed abortions to be legal and relatively safe. Lets go one step further and make them rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: