Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:33 AM

158 posts, read 516,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't know much about Roseburg (other than it has a VA facility and McMenamin's brewpub that I have stopped at) but I am doubting that this is an accurate description of the people.
I don't know if it is accurate or not. It is all information I have read on forums from City Data. Plus I have read in the news papers on line.
I am finding, if I keep searching, I can find the sites with accurate information. Just need to understand
how to get there. Everything I have learned about this computer, I have figured out by myself. No schooling. So, I hunt and peck,(reason for the name Slowink) ask questions that seem to offend people.
But, it seems, eventually I get the answers I need.
I never mean to be Obnoxious or arrogant, but for some, unknown to me, reason; people take me that way. My apologies. But, I am so happy I found weatherbase.com, Slowink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Just don't believe any city's Chamber of Commerce website, when it comes to weather. Several Chambers in Oregon (Bend, Klamath Falls) tout "300 days of sun" when the reality falls FAR short of that. My weather station in Klamath Falls showed about 220 days of sun/part sun and that is about the max that you can find in Oregon (I think Lakeview might be slightly more).

The internet is not an accurate and complete data source. Taking as fact a poster's opinion is a mistake - and mostly what you get here is opinion. There are a lot of blanket statements out there, like "people in This City are all...." - you know that has to be wrong.

Sure, we can direct you to a weather site that has quantitative data, but that site doesn't have qualitative data, it makes you make assumptions about how the numbers translate FOR YOU.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-22-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
I don't know much about Roseburg (other than it has a VA facility and McMenamin's brewpub that I have stopped at) but I am doubting that this is an accurate description of the people.

Roseburg does have some of the far right and a few knuckle draggers, but it has enclaves of Californians and other liberal lefts also.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
I don't know if it is accurate or not. It is all information I have read on forums from City Data. Plus I have read in the news papers on line.
I am finding, if I keep searching, I can find the sites with accurate information. Just need to understand
how to get there. Everything I have learned about this computer, I have figured out by myself. No schooling. So, I hunt and peck,(reason for the name Slowink) ask questions that seem to offend people.
But, it seems, eventually I get the answers I need.
I never mean to be Obnoxious or arrogant, but for some, unknown to me, reason; people take me that way. My apologies. But, I am so happy I found weatherbase.com, Slowink
Thanks for sharing that weather link, I would say the info for my specific location is the most accurate I've seen.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM

With changing weather patterns forecasting future patterns has become a moving target.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Just don't believe any city's Chamber of Commerce website, when it comes to weather. Several Chambers in Oregon (Bend, Klamath Falls) tout "300 days of sun" when the reality falls FAR short of that. My weather station in Klamath Falls showed about 220 days of sun/part sun and that is about the max that you can find in Oregon (I think Lakeview might be slightly more).

The internet is not an accurate and complete data source. Taking as fact a poster's opinion is a mistake - and mostly what you get here is opinion. There are a lot of blanket statements out there, like "people in This City are all...." - you know that has to be wrong.

Sure, we can direct you to a weather site that has quantitative data, but that site doesn't have qualitative data, it makes you make assumptions about how the numbers translate FOR YOU.
So, Ms. PNW-type-gal, my latest statement to Hawk remains the most logical way to get the information, believe no one, move there for six months to a year, observe the date, draw a conclusion, if it's positive, buy and live a happy life. If it's negative at 70 years old, by then 71 or 72, move on to another unknown, but by all means believe none of the sites. Is this what you are telling me? Makes no sence to me, I think I will have to trust someone, sometime, along the way. Slowink

Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Thanks for sharing that weather link, I would say the info for my specific location is the most accurate I've seen.
Thank you. I checked it against Tonto basin also and it seemed to be smack on. I think I will take it as
Gospel for now. Until I find out otherwise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Six moths is not enough as Oregon statewide has four seasons.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Six months is not enough as Oregon statewide has four seasons.
That being the case, it makes the probability even worse, I'll be 72 or 73 before purchasing property, Then the build, another six months. Trying to do any landscape work at 74 or 75, considering the physical impairments that exist already ( I have mentioned I'm not a wealthy man)
I have had 30 years in Washington State. I have wondered thru Oregon on several occasions. I know I could handle the rain in Grants Pass, I know I can handle the gloom, I know I can handle and appreciate the summer temps.
The only real problem is the distance we would have to travel to the Kids and Grandchildren. I don't want more rain and for sure no more snow. My problem, alone is Distance. How does one overcome that. Take the train, or Bus, I would guess. Slowink

Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
That being the case, it makes the probability even worse, I'll be 72 or 73 before purchasing property, Then the build, another six months. Trying to do any landscape work at 74 or 75, considering the physical impairments that exist already ( I have mentioned I'm not a wealthy man)
I have had 30 years in Washington State. I have wondered thru Oregon on several occasions. I know I could handle the rain in Grants Pass, I know I can handle the gloom, I know I can handle and appreciate the summer temps.
The only real problem is the distance we would have to travel to the Kids and Grandchildren. I don't want more rain and for sure no more snow. My problem, alone is Distance. How does one overcome that. Take the train, or Bus, I would guess. Slowink
May be cheaper to fly....

MFR to SEA Flights | Expedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon