Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM

39 posts, read 88,742 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5. Mom, Dad, and 3 kids. Elementary, Jr. High, and High School. We are also a family who has moved around ALOT. We JUST moved to So. Cal. in June and HATE it. Hate the traffic. Don't care for the superficial people or lifestyle. Don't like the busy feeling. The hustle and bustle. We can't keep up with the Jones'. And honestly, I don't want my kids' to become one of them.
Unfortunately, We just bought a house here. And that adds to our stresses. But it doesn't feel like 'home'. We feel WAY out of our comfort zone. WAY OUT.

Just a little background. We moved here from Henderson, NV. We Lived there for 2 years and hated it as well. We originally came from AK. So as you can see, these places where we've lived, were a culture shock for us. My husband works for the gov't. He was offered a HUGE increase in pay when we took this job. So that explains why we bought a house. And then the gov't shut down. Having a huge mortgage payment isn't sitting well with us. We live in Temecula. It's October and still 90 plus degrees.

We've always loved Southern Oregon and he has an opportunity for a job up there. I'm a SAHM. We love the outdoors. We love hiking and we love water..lakes, streams, rivers etc... I know Medford isn't known for snow and we miss the white Christmas' that we're used too but being in that area, we would have access to snow with a drive?? We have family in Salem but that's out of the question because of the rain. We left AK for many different reasons, but S.A.D. was taking it's toll for sure. So sunshine is important.

I've been researching schools, they don't look that great. Honestly, Temecula schools scored higher than Medford schools. I'm looking into charter schools or even a Christian school setting.

ANY and ALL help would be so appreciated. We would like to buy a house (if this one sells...). I know my kids', being AK kids would feel more comfortable around there. If they decide to move back to AK when they're grown, we'd still feel closer to them then if we stayed and retired here in So. Cal. And my hubby retires in about 9-10 years so that's a plus. I've heard Medford was huge with meth. Is this true? What areas should we avoid? We're looking for a safe & quiet area. We would be willling to commute if need be.

Sorry for the rambling. I just want this to be our 'home sweet home'. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
If you don't like the rain in Salem, you won't like the rain in Medford.

You do know that there is plenty of hikling and outdoor stuff to do in Southern California? There is snow a short drive from your house. There is mountain hiking and camping and forest available in your area.

You've just bought a house and unless you want to loose a lot of money, you are going to have to tough it put for a few years before you sell.

Learn to cook with avocados and scout out the best Mexican restaurants. You are close enough to the beach to do beach picnics and your kids can be taken to The Wild Aminal Park, Sea World, and The San Diego Zoo and Planetarium. It's not like there is nothing to do in your area.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks for responding! I want to get away from the people and the traffic and the conjestion. Also, the cost of living is SO high around here that we can't afford to do anything. Not even take our family out to eat. Believe you me. That was another plus when we decided to take the job. We've been to the beach a handful of times-each time bringing tons of traffic and stress and people. We're surrounded by everything. Until our $400 water bill arrives and our $400 electric bill shows up. This along with the cost of every other utility. How much rain does Medford get on average?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM

You're right. There is plenty to do around here. With that comes tons of people, traffic, and stress. We can't afford to do many things you listed. Even going to the beach is stressful. The cost of utilities and our mortage payment take up the majority of the income. Just looking to live quieter and cheaper.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 AM

247 posts, read 745,468 times
The rain in Medford is quite a bit different than up in Salem.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Is it less? And what about snow? Is it uncommon for snow?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Yearly average is about 18.35 inches of rain. Medford, Oregon - Average Rainfall - Current, Historical Data

Find a nearby mountain (Southside) to live on at about 2000'. You will get some snow. We've happily lived on a mountain fer 27 years. We get quite a bit of at least partial sun, even in the winter.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,004,304 times
We don't get as much rain as Northern Oregon, about 18" a year and it arrives between September and April, as for snow, maybe an inch or two on the valley floor but it rarely last the day. If you want snow just drive a few miles to the mountains and you can enjoy all of it you want. There is plenty to do in Southern Oregon, the lakes and rivers are all within an hour and a half drive. The ocean is about a 2 hour drive.
The schools in Medford, I really don't know, I have no children in school, but from what I've heard they're rated fair to poor depending on the school.
Traffic in Medford is getting worse every day it seems, hwy 62 is a mess to drive. The town is right at 100K in population and the infrastructure was designed back in the 40' and 50's when the population was about 25K.
I've lived in S.Oregon off and on for most of my 63 years, for me, it suits me fine, the Northern part is just to damn busy and to many people.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:37 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Traffic in Medford is getting worse every day it seems, hwy 62 is a mess to drive. The town is right at 100K in population and the infrastructure was designed back in the 40' and 50's when the population was about 25K.
When we bought a house in Medford we studied the crime maps and the traffic maps and picked a location that did not involve Crater Lake/Hwy 62 or the area around the mall for everyday needs - everything we need is within a 1.5 mile radius of the house and jaunts out to other places (like Trader Joe's or Costco or Lowe's) can be done at lower traffic times. We do have to use the Barnett interchange, which is not pretty.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,213,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
When we bought a house in Medford we studied the crime maps and the traffic maps and picked a location that did not involve Crater Lake/Hwy 62 or the area around the mall for everyday needs - everything we need is within a 1.5 mile radius of the house and jaunts out to other places (like Trader Joe's or Costco or Lowe's) can be done at lower traffic times. We do have to use the Barnett interchange, which is not pretty.
On the news, it mentioned some roadwork to help with the problems on Hwy 62. Is that the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon