U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM

35 posts, read 64,879 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the area and would like some feedback on Shady cove, Eagle point, Jacksonville.

I spent 3 days driving around looking at these and other areas of the Rogue river valley and thought they were very nice places for a mid 50's man to retire to and build a home. I love the outdoors, work from home, love to fish and want to learn to kayak.
I'm kind of leaning to the Shady cove area, but what do I know about it, Nothing.

I need to rent a house to get into the area from out of state. Trying to find a place to rent online, craigslist is difficult to say the least esp without help from the area.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JeffBeck; 11-05-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM

227 posts, read 270,122 times
I had the challenge of finding a place to rent with 3 dogs - got one by calling the number on a for rent sign I found while driving around.

as to feedback, do you have some specific questions? that might help.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM

35 posts, read 64,879 times
I probably will soon, i don't know enough about the areas other than just driving around.
Are they all nice safe areas, places you would like to live or are there any issues with any of them.
Reasons you wouldn't want to live in them.
I don't have kids so i have none of those possible issues.

The dog thing is a problem for me also.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 PM

227 posts, read 270,122 times
I asked the same thing in the Spring for what it's worth.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,750,619 times
Default Wish I had moved to Ashland !

I live in Rogue River and would recommend Ashland for a single person. I so much regret not having relocated there when I came out west in 2002; however back then it was priced high out of my range. Nowadays, perhaps it is more affordable Ashland has more social options, more culture, more educational opportunities, best restaurants, enlightened residents, etc. and the best Food Coop

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
Default where to live

If those are your three options, I'd choose Jacksonville by a mile and Shady Cove far last. Jacksonville has enough amenities and basics like groceries, walking trails, restaurants and pretty nice people. It's also near lots of super recreational activities and has some culture.
Shady Cove is a pretty hostile place socially, there's no real downtown, NO municipal water system ( hello?) and the population is an uncomfortable blend of wealthy settlers who like the river, down and out people with various creepy ways of getting by ( by choice) and average good family people. Its economy is pretty bad and that affects the quality of all the retail services there.
Medford has some nice neighborhoods and all the basics most people need, too.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM

984 posts, read 1,234,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I live in Rogue River and would recommend Ashland for a single person. I so much regret not having relocated there when I came out west in 2002; however back then it was priced high out of my range. Nowadays, perhaps it is more affordable Ashland has more social options, more culture, more educational opportunities, best restaurants, enlightened residents, etc. and the best Food Coop
I hear this quite a bit on this board...and as a single person that's my plan...Ashland. Talent is close by as well and has some lovely areas...especially Wagner Creek valley.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
I live in Medford, but would love to live in either Ashland or Jacksonville. Housing is more expensive in both places however. I would probably put Jacksonville first - but that is just a matter of preference. Jacksonville is closer to the Applegate, which I love, and just has a different feel to it than Ashland. I think Ashland is busier (not in a bad way), with more emphasis on art and theater - and of course has the college. I have to say that I personally really like Shady Cove - especially during the summer - but it is further out and I would not want to spend my winters driving Hwy 62 to come into town for medical appts., movies, shopping etc. I think the only way I would want to live in Shady Cove would be if I won the lottery and could live in a beautiful cheerful home right on the river .

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,130 times
Getting ready to make a move with hubby and 5 year old daughter. Looking for a safe area with good schools. Already have a job with the Railroad. Thinking about Shady Cove?? Any suggestions? Coming from high crime rate and drugs in Calif.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 6,095,719 times
Do your homework well.

At the risk of passing around misinformation, there was a recent story in the Medford newspaper about a couple who retired, as recall, in or near Jacksonville only to find that a utility is planning to build a large plant next door to them. I'm sorry if I don't have the facts straight but my heart really went out to those people. Always check with your zoning dept. to find out what is going on your chosen area. Maybe someone can post the article if they know where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon