U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 28,747 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I'm considering a job in the Southern Oregon and would like to get a feel for the area that would be best for me around Medford, Grant's Pass and Ashland. I currently live in Chicago, but grew up in a small town in Michigan of about 30,000.

More about me and what I'm looking for:
-I'm 29, single and enjoy outdoor activities like cycling, kayaking and hiking
-I'd like to keep my rent at $1,000 or less
-I like grabbing a drink once every week or two. Definitely not into the club scene and go for pubs/dive bars. I would also like to be in a spot where I'm within a mile of nightlife and can walk there.
-Crime/panhandlers aren't much of a factor for me--I have a pretty high threshold for sketchiness
-I'm moderately liberal--I don't really care about taxes, I just get annoyed when people are extremely right or left
-I also like restaurants/bars that are more unique and not the typical suburban Olive Garden/Applebee's/Red Lobster setup

So out of Medford/GP/Ashland....

Which has the most natural beauty with mountains, etc.?

Which is most accessible to hiking and kayaking?

Which is the most walkable?

Which has more unique, local/non-suburban bars and restaurants?

Which would have the better 20s/30s dating scene?

Would any of the three offer rent within $1,000 and walkable to their downtowns? Can you rank their downtown areas in terms of niceness and nightlife?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,938,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Vaughn View Post
Would any of the three offer rent within $1,000 and walkable to their downtowns?
All of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Vaughn View Post
Can you rank their downtown areas in terms of niceness and nightlife?
1. Ashland
2. Medford
3. Grants Pass

Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,160,647 times
We're fond of beer and we brew our own, so we like going to the microbreweries, tasting the new offers and talking to the brewers. Definitely the scene at the mircobrewers and pubs is split - 20 somethings and 50 somethings.

We live within a mile of downtown Medford and I wouldn't say there is a big pub/music scene downtown, but there are certainly a few - Howiee's, Johnny B's, Gypsy Blues Bar, Four Daughters Irish Pub, Bricktown Brewing. There is a place called Havana across from Four Daughters that claims to have music, but I have never actually heard it. There are also some good (although upscale) dining place downtown - Elements Tapas is my favorite, Pomodoro, Capers, Porters, the new Larks, which just opened this month. Haven't been there yet.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,243 times
Hello, I have lived in Southern Oregon or over 15 years so hopefully I can help.

Ashland and Medford are a world of differences.

All of southern oregon is beautiful really. Ashland does has lithia park which is breathtaking. You can hike from anywhere. There are hundreds of thousands of places to hike all within a short distance away from either of the cities. Kayaking would be out of shady cover (which is about a 20 min drive from medford) where you would catch the rogue river (amazing)

By far, the most walkable to Ashland. Depending on where you live you could mostly walk everywhere.

More unique bars and restaurants I would give to Ashland too. Ashland is a college town, so that is more of the crowd you will see at the bars where Medford may have the out of college crowd more often.

Ashland is a very different town. I very lovingly call it "granola". It's a ritzy tourist town in the summer with visitors coming for the Shakespeare festival. During the school year is a college town (not your typical college where sporting event shut down streets with congestion-sports are huge at the school- compared to other colleges) It also has a lot of retired people and homeless. It's more expensive to live and not a very "spread out" city. Most of the city is on one side of the freeway. It's really hard to describe Ashland. Its a very eclectic place with many different groups of people. If you are into anything like healthy living, composting, organics, kind of stuff thats the place for you.

Medford is more of a "normal" town with its good and bad parts. I can't comment too much on the dating scene other then to say there isn't much of one. It was actually joked that Medford was in an article as having one of the worst scenes.

If I am on the same page when you ask about "living downtown and walkability" it would be Ashland. There are tons of shops and places to eat and the park that are all down town and easy to walk to. Medford's down town in really not built like that. And doesn't have much of a "down town" in the sense of cool and a place you would want to hand out to meet people.

I think $1,000 you can find something in either town.

Obviously I don't get out to Grants pass as much. Not a reason to go there. If your job is in Grants Pass I would look more into it but if its more in Medford or Ashland I would live in one of those and commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon