Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,913 times

Advertisements

i'm getting more and more familiar with ashland, recently was there for a visit which turned more into job interviews so didn't do as much neighborhood research as we would have liked... can anyone help with:

best neighborhoods for young family with small kids? we're thinking railroad district or cottage district (north and west of RR district).

what we're looking for:

greatest density of kids playing in the streets
friendly neighbors, porch sitters
walkable to co-op, etc
quiet area off main streets

which streets/blocks specifically? we have a 3 year old and a newborn, will be looking for schools/preschools soon, would love to be able to walk to them if anyone has experiences.
we'll be there in a month or so, looking for a rental in case anyone knows of something coming available! looking to rent a small cute cottage with yard.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,293 times
Default Nice neighborhood for kids

The best neighborhood for kids, IMHO, is Quiet Village. Helman School is solid, with (from what I hear) no danger of closing. In fact, they are just completing construction of a brand new gymnasium! Helman has a huge field that the neighborhood uses for playing, star gazing, and so on. It also has (free) tennis courts, basketball courts, barbeque and picnic tables, and a great playground, all open to the neighborhood outside school hours. B/c of the school there are lots of kids in the area, which you can see by the kids walking and playing outside.

QV is below the RR tracks, which means no slipping and sliding in the snow, too. There are some dull ranch houses here, but also lots that people have fixed up. I've lived in several Ashland neighborhoods, and like this one the best. We are walking distance from downtown (a real boon for parades, when everyone is trying to drive downtown!), from the Ashland Co-op, and (for me, but I like to walk) from the library.

Good luck finding your new home in Ashland! I have a neighbor on Willow Street who is putting her house on the market in the spring, one with a huge fenced yard, front and back. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieM View Post
The best neighborhood for kids, IMHO, is Quiet Village. Helman School is solid, with (from what I hear) no danger of closing. In fact, they are just completing construction of a brand new gymnasium! Helman has a huge field that the neighborhood uses for playing, star gazing, and so on. It also has (free) tennis courts, basketball courts, barbeque and picnic tables, and a great playground, all open to the neighborhood outside school hours. B/c of the school there are lots of kids in the area, which you can see by the kids walking and playing outside.

QV is below the RR tracks, which means no slipping and sliding in the snow, too. There are some dull ranch houses here, but also lots that people have fixed up. I've lived in several Ashland neighborhoods, and like this one the best. We are walking distance from downtown (a real boon for parades, when everyone is trying to drive downtown!), from the Ashland Co-op, and (for me, but I like to walk) from the library.

Good luck finding your new home in Ashland! I have a neighbor on Willow Street who is putting her house on the market in the spring, one with a huge fenced yard, front and back. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for!
Hi,
Does Ashland have much to do? IT seems so isolated from the rest of the State and even California. Do you have movie theaters and other entertainment? Any nice restaurants in the area? What do the locals do for fun? Can I ride my dirt bike in the hills or is it restricted?

Thanks for any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: