Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times

Advertisements

When I say that people got trapped on the coast, I'm talking about people who couldn't sell their houses under any normal pricing strategies. I know folks who are advertising their home at $110,000 less than they paid for it and it still won't move. Supply and demand may be a reliable economic balance in a mainstream market, but when you are in a small isolated community, it doesn't work out that way. If the reason for low demand is geographic isolation, lack of jobs or solvency of local government, home pricing only goes so far in address that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
Lived in the area for over 30 years. For health care stay closer to the North Bend-Coos Bay area. For being outside and gardening etc., live inland a few miles as the weather is much better. You are pretty limited in these areas but it all depends on what meets your needs. My take would be to visit the areas as it would be easy to do and see what your feel is on them. They all have pluses and minuses. It is a beautiful area and their are some great people there. But remember their are some negatives---drugs and rednecks are alive and well. Each area is somewhat different and has different positives and negatives. Best of luck to you!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
This might help.

Over 385 results for Coos Bay //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9374156

And 530 for North Bend //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9374181

With 192 for Bandon //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9374205

And 493 for Brookings //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9374221

I am sure you will find an equal amount of mentions for Port Orford and Gold Beach.
Hi Steve,

None of the links work.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Hi Steve,

None of the links work.
Let CD know. They are their links.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Let CD know. They are their links.
FYI:

//www.city-data.com/forum/34344811-post7.html

Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalices View Post
Hello!

I moved to Eugene a few months ago and find that I really don't need to be in a city of this size and do miss living in a more "wild" setting. I have lived in Durango, CO, Traverse City, MI and in Northern MN, so I am used to smaller towns.

My husband and I are in our early 40's, love to hike, swim, garden - we are not into any "night life," but more homebodies. I am a telecommuting computer programmer, so can live anywhere where there is high-speed internet access.

What we love about Eugene is the incredible friendliness of the people. Of all the places I have lived the people here are, seriously, the most outgoing we have encountered. That is the something that does make us nervous - sometimes smaller towns are not all that welcoming. Another great thing about Eugene is the availability of organic food, restaurants that use local produce, meats, etc.

We do plan on many coastal visits in the next year, but would love some insider information.

The places we would love info on are:
- North Bend
- Coos Bay
- Bandon
- Port Orford
- Gold Beach
- Brookings

How is the gardening in various areas? My husband is wanting to go to the warmer areas of the coast due to the long growing season...but how is the soil?

Are the local people welcoming to newcomers?

What is the availability of organic produce, meats? However, we hope to have a huge garden for produce, but it would be nice to have other options and a few good restaurants to go to.

I am also a big user of the library here (and everywhere I have been); I assume that each of the cities has a decent system, interlibrary loan?

I do fly a couple times a year for work and to see family, so Coos Bay/North Bend may be nice for that, but I hear that Brookings is not so far from Crescent City, CA airport.

Any info would be appreciated. I did start reading the other thread about Newport (which is a place I am interested in, though my husband would like to be in the warmer coastal areas), but I did not want to hijack that post.

Also, I have been reading this forum for about a year now and have gathered a lot of helpful information, so thank you all for your great posts.

Best,
Mary Alice
Hi Mary,

Unfortunately, none of the southern OR cities you mention offer much in the way of organic food/grass fed free range meats/etc... Someone mentioned an CSA and some organic foods at Freddies and a really small co-op... this is what you are limited to and there is no major push to change this. From your description, I actually think you might be more comfortable in parts of Humboldt County in far north California. Both Eureka and Arcata have two HUGE natural food stores plus they both have fabulous farmers markets and other smaller options. Great meat selection at both the co-op in Eureka and Eureka Natural Foods. They just had a big conference in Arcata where people exchanged seeds/cuttings and there were lots of freebies and information.

You've also got the ocean, bays, rivers, mountains, GIANT redwoods, all practically just outside your door. It is a very friendly place as well.

I would not recommend Newport as a place to live... visit yes but not to live. Not that friendly to outsiders, not much selection in food, and access to beach and other natural areas is waning although I would recommend Yaquina head and the South Beach Dunes area for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon