U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM

15 posts, read 33,593 times

Advertisements

I know Ashland and Astoria are different towns in different parts of the state. I like the look of Astoria and the size. I'm really not a hippy dippy vegan, my son calls me that since my husband and I began eating a primarily plant based diet due to health issues.

Having said that I do consider myself social liberal but fiscally conservative. My husband and I have always worked hard at our jobs but have never made much money and I am most comfortable around people in similar financial situations. I just want to live comfortably (not lavishly) and happily. I didn't think living in an extremely conservative area (Cody WY) would bother me as much as it has. I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but I'm tired of having others ideas crammed down my throat. I don't want to live in a commune (I don't think but I would like to live somewhere with people who have similar beliefs or are at least reasonable. I'd like to live somewhere where Faux News isn't on every TV in every business!

As far as work goes I have summer employment within the park service and retirement so I don't have to have a job in the town where I settle. I would like to volunteer my time to a worthy cause.

Does anyone know if habitat for humanity does work in Astoria?

I saw that there was a Costco and Fred Meyer in Warrenton which made me happy. I saw there was a small hospital but may need to locate closer to Portland or another major medical center for my husband. He has had several medical issues recently and I would like to be closer to his medical care. He has VA and just this year Medicare.

Can anyone suggest any other town or towns I should look at in Oregon or Washington?

requirements:

Washington or Oregon, want to be within 8 hour drive of my son in Vancouver WA. Other son is in Bellingham WA

Homes available for $250,000 or less
Costco within 1 hour
Medical care within 1 hour
Ability to grow some vegetables (I've never gardened but would like to start)
Fresh fruits and vegetables available at a nearby market/grocery store. There is nothing sadder than veggies in the middle of Wyoming in the middle of winter and the summer veggies aren't much better.
Liberal minded or at least not militantly conservative individuals/policies
Decent library system
Volunteer opportunities
Places to hike or walk, would like to be able to drive to the mountains or the shore. Love the way Oregon saved their shore for the public!

Again, thanks all for taking the time to read my posts and thank you pdxMikepdx for taking the time to answer my post and thanks again bler144 and Steve Pickering!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,245,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy.dippy.vegan View Post
Homes available for $250,000 or less
Costco within 1 hour
Medical care within 1 hour
Ability to grow some vegetables (I've never gardened but would like to start)
Fresh fruits and vegetables available at a nearby market/grocery store. There is nothing sadder than veggies in the middle of Wyoming in the middle of winter and the summer veggies aren't much better.
Liberal minded or at least not militantly conservative individuals/policies
Decent library system
Volunteer opportunities
Places to hike or walk, would like to be able to drive to the mountains or the shore. Love the way Oregon saved their shore for the public!
!
I'd toss Forest Grove and Hillsboro in that hat as serious considerations. Lots of outdoor options about. Henry Hagg park, not to mention options around the Portland metro or in the coastal range. And you can hop on 26 anytime you do want to go to the coast.

Hillsboro has a pretty good farmer's market, and Fred Meyers, etc. plus a New Seasons and Whole Foods if you have money burning a hole in your wallet. The Washington County library system is excellent, and I particularly recommend the Brookwood branch. (http://www.wccls.org/) Area leans moderate to slightly left, though arguably it's apolitical on a lot of issues.

Lots of volunteer opportunities abound, from the library, to Habitat, to food bank distribution centers (and the west side headquarters is just over the line into Beaverton around 173rd).

Lots of medical care around, with Providence/St. Vincents probably being the cornerstone of that at the juncture of 217/26.

Salem is also perhaps worth a look.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,372,020 times
Dallas is a great choice. 20 minutes from everything you need. 45 minutes to the Vet's Hospital. Good local shopping and a great garden area. Also acreage is available and good housing can be bought for $120,000 to $180,00 with land, or $170,000 to $245,000 new and smaller lots. We have three farmers markets in town and a dozen roadside stands within 10 miles. We can use volunteers in several areas of expertise, and we are an hour from the ocean and an hour from Vancouver. Our library is connected to the colleges and state system in Salem so you can get any movie, or book right downtown. The Coast range is minutes away and the Cascades are only 40 minutes. Polk County is conservative, but not "In your Face". I know because I expect to be your next Polk County Commissioner.

P.S. COSTCO is 23 minutes from Downtown Dallas.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,968,397 times
To Bler:
Didn't mean to belittle anybody.

I personally do not participate in the arts and crafts scene, so I know little about it.
I go to Astoria to participate in the coho fishing scene and to visit relatives.
I don't go to little galleries and boutique stores.

When I see anything artsy there, it's primarily geared towards tourists.
Beachy and coasty maritime things.
And in the summer.

No offense intended.

To H.D.V.:
The more I read your wants, it looks like the Portland metro and surrounding areas would be your best bet, and if you wanted to visit Astoria you could drive there easily.

I personally couldn't hack living there year round. The weather is just that bad for me!

BTW, us Oregoonians call it "the coast", not "the shore"!
As in, "I am driving out to the coast to go to the beach".

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-25-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM

The coastal towns would not survive without the touristy thingies and fishing.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Warrenton is in Washington and the bridge is more than a mile across. It's actually over 6 miles.
Replace Warrenton with Ilwaco and you are spot on.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,806,104 times
VA Hospitals are:

Oregon: Roseburg and Portland
Washington: Vancouver, Tacoma, Spokane, Walla Walla, and Seattle.

The VA runs shuttles from smaller towns to the bigger hospitals, but that ends up being an all day trip. For instance I know there is one from both Newport and Astoria to Portland. I have no idea of how to find the schedule for the shuttles or where they go though.

The Oregon and Washington Coasts are generally not good for gardens. It's not impossible, but it's a lot more work. You'll want to grow in a sheltered location if you're close to the coast for instance. In some cases you'll need to amend the soil to account for sand or salt. Most of the Oregon Coast, including Astoria, is Zone 8A. Just south of Tillamook is Zone 9A, and Brookings is 9B.

Oregon State University has a great (free) program for gardeners including an "ask the expert" hotline. They usually have people at all the farmer's markets and other local events throughout the year to answer questions for you.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM

4,060 posts, read 5,245,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
To Bler:
Didn't mean to belittle anybody.

When I see anything artsy there, it's primarily geared towards tourists.
Beachy and coasty maritime things.
And in the summer.

No offense intended.
I wasn't taking it as an offense or belittling, just clarifying that under the touristy surface, there's a well-connected arts community for people of widely varying talent levels.

As the OP has gone in a different direction, it's moot for her at this point anyway.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Replace Warrenton with Ilwaco and you are spot on.
No, I was talking about the Six Miles from Astoria to Warrenton. City Limits to City Limits.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM

By this map you appear to be almost correct.
It is 5.8 miles according to this google map.
But the map seems to be showing roughly city center to city center, not city limits.
Plus, not all of that is the Youngs Bay bridge, so the bridge is not 6 miles across, as stated in your above post...

You also stated that Warrenton was in Washington, not Oregon.
That was incorrect.

At any rate, I would like to amend my above post to say that all or most of the medical facilities and stores that you stated were not available in Astoria, Oregon are available in Warrenton, Oregon, which is 10 to 15 minute drive west of Astoria.
Either there or in Seaside which is south of Warrenton.

Is that better?

Are we done splitting teeny tiny little minute hairs now?

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-26-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon