U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,368,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
... ...
Plus, not all of that is the Youngs Bay bridge, so the bridge is not 6 miles across, as stated in your above post...

I never said it was, and ....

You also stated that Warrenton was in Washington, not Oregon.
That was incorrect.

You would be correct. I was thinking of Ilwaco

I have not spent a lot of time in Warrenton, but I have in Astoria.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:53 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,966,058 times
Quote:
I never said it was, and ....

Actually, you did.
It's in post #9 of this thread...(Click the little blue arrow in the quote to go directly to the post.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Warrenton is in Washington and the bridge is more than a mile across. It's actually over 6 miles.

Quote:
I have not spent a lot of time in Warrenton, but I have in Astoria.
Well, honestly, you haven't missed much.
IMHO, Warrenton is a dreary little town.
The best parts are the big boat basin and the Skipanon marina.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-26-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

No, I said clearly the bridge was over a mile across. And Warrenton was 6 miles. I said it several times, but I wasn't even talking about Warrenton as it turns out.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,243,646 times
(At this point you're both wildly off-topic)

Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 PM

I think they have decided on Dallas.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,966,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
(At this point you're both wildly off-topic)
Yeah maybe, but if somebody is going to give wrong, confusing, unclear misleading information, (then contradict themselves when called on it), it needs to be pointed out.

The person asking the questions originally (and subsequent researchers) would most likely like to receive the right information....
I know I would.

This isn't the first time, nor the first thread that this has happened in.

And now.....the statement has been made that they may have decided on Dallas????????????????

Dallas was only mentioned once in this thread, and it wasn't mentioned by H.D.V., nor in any one of her 7 posts.

Quote:
I said it several times, but I wasn't even talking about Warrenton as it turns out.
Thank you for finally admitting that you usually don't know what you are talking about!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-26-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,465,603 times
I agree; the misinformation has gotten beyond ridiculous, and much of what's been posted lately doesn't even make sense.

OP, I've never lived in Astoria, but I have some experience with gardening in a coastal climate that perhaps a bit colder all-around than what Astoria experiences. Cold season vegetables such as peas will do well there, rhubarb, beans, broccoli.....but peppers and tomatoes might be a challenge. Classic perennials and bulbs -- think English cottage garden -- will thrive, as will most culinary herbs.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM

16,523 posts, read 13,906,906 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me if it's possible to garden in Astoria... I haven't gardened much in the past but my husband and I would like to try it. Also, do they have a farmers market? What's it like? And, can I have a wood burning fireplace.
To answer these questions.

Yes, it's possible to grow some veggies but it's challenging. A friend who lives in Astoria tries every year to grow tomatoes but they don't really grown as well as they would, in say, Ashland. It's too cold, gray, and damp. Summer temps aren't hot and you need heat to grow great tomatoes (or any summer veggie). There's enough sun in the summer months but no real hot temps. There is a guy who lives down the street from her that has a greenhouse. He has an amazing crop but it's all because of the greenhouse.

While visiting her there, we went to their farmer's market. It was very nice but not an abundance of fruits and veggies ... at least, not like what I'm used to here in northern California. Again, Ashland would give you the best climate for growing.

As for wood burning. You can do it. This friend I referred to works for a heating (stoves and such) store, there in Astoria. She has a wood burning fireplace and uses it throughout the winter, with no problems.

Ashland and Astoria are like night and day, in terms of climate. The people in both places are very nice. I thought about moving to Astoria at one time but I'm not one who can tolerate 80 inches of rain every year and I need more sunshine than they receive in Astoria. Otherwise, it's a pretty cute little town. As pdxmike stated below, there is a Safeway, Fred Meyers and Costco close by. My friend confirms that Walmart is on the way, much to the chagrin of many of the business owners.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM

4,060 posts, read 5,243,646 times
I don't always agree with certain people's posts, but sometimes you just aren't going to get them to back down or change their opinion. Make 1-2 attempts including factual data to the contrary, then move on. In general most readers will be intelligent enough to suss out who has it right or at least who's more reliable. 'Pages of yes you did, no I didn't!' cease being productive.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 33,582 times
Again Thanks bler144 and a big thank you also to HereOnMars and Metlakatla. Astoria is still on the short list but you guys have encouraged me to look other places too. On another site someone mentioned McMinnville as an underrated town. Any one have any opinions about McMinnville? My husband is also interested in Oregon City...any information on it would be helpful too. A lot of people have mentioned Ashland. Ashland is probably too far away from Vancouver and too expensive for us unfortunately.

We are helping my son and his friends move to Vancouver in early March so we will definitely drive down and check out some more of these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon