Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In my situation
if he give me a proper bill of sale and the title with the same name on both,
I don't care what he is doing not my business. Am I right ?
The long and short of it, that's all you would need to transfer title and ownership, then register with Oregon.
Make sure the sell dates on the tiitle and the BOS match though.

My family is a "car family", we buy and sell cars all the time (because we just love cars).
I have seen this "title jump" happen many times with no negative consequences.

If it backfires, it always seems to backfire on the seller, not the buyer.
What I mean is, the seller might be trusting and succumb to a good line of BS, then later on, start receiving parking tickets etc, because the buyer was a scumbag and never transfered the title, just drove the car.

If you are a seller, always go online and fill out the online bill of sale and keep the license plates.
That way, you have some sort of "official record", and nobody that's doing anything hinky wants to attract attention by driving with no plates. That will keep you safe from the honest thieves.

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO is to go down to DMV with the seller or buyer and do the tiltle transfer BEFORE the car is driven off your property.

But what you are proposing is common, and if the seller just wants to get rid of a windfall car without spending hundreds on title transfer, registration, and insurance. I can see their point.

On the other hand, and I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on this, it is dishonest and if any body suffers the possible consequences, it will be you.

It's your choice, not ours.

If you are comfortable with who you are dealing with and all the paperwork is above reproach, well, it's your decision...

FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT PROPOSING OR TELLING THIS GUY TO DO ANYTHING UNLAWFUL.
I AM JUST TELLING HIM MY EXPERIENCES WITH THIS KIND OF DEAL.
IT'S DONE MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

IT'S HIS DECISION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 PM

27 posts, read 70,450 times
I understand your concern and i am not trying to do something illegal, I just wanted to understand what going on. Hopefully I havent signed the paper when I saw the guy because I wanted to google and understand first. I was right :-)

It's my first car in America ( I come from Europe ) so I am always very cautious when I do paperwork here as I dont want to be in trouble

My conclusion is, even if I accept the deal like we said, MY part of the paperwork will be totally legal, as I would buy a car with a correct bill of sale and title.

So I am thinking of doing it or not, the decision is not made I will take a few days to think about it

But thanks you all for your time and patience, I appreciate

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
If the car was registered in Oregon then moved to Washington and never registered or titled in Washington, then upon re-registering the car in Oregon you will have to pay all past due registering fees. Had the car been titled in Washington then the fees wouldn't apply.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
If the car was registered in Oregon then moved to Washington and never registered or titled in Washington, then upon re-registering the car in Oregon you will have to pay all past due registering fees. Had the car been titled in Washington then the fees wouldn't apply.
What do you mean by "all past due registering fees" ?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM

Well, it's time that you spend some time here:

State of Oregon: Oregon DMV

You can also call them and ask the questions.
They won't know your name or where you are calling from.
You can explain the situation anonymously.

They will probably tell you that if you have the correct paperwork, that's all you need, though it might matter how long ago it was signed off...I believe you have to transfer title within 30 days.

As long as you have the correct paperwork, the backstory does not even need to be mentioned.
They don't care if the car was originally registered in Oregon, was part of some deal, ended up in Washington, sat there for a while, then bought by some guy in Oregon who now wants to re-register it in Oregon.

All they see is an Oregon title, and a bill of sale that's three months old. When you go to DMV, they probably won't even ask to see the bill of sale, anyway.
As long is the title is signed off and legit, and you have all the correct paperwork (and money) to do the transfer, you will be in and out of DMV within the hour.

Call them and tell them you bought the car a while ago, and haven't gotten around to doing the title paperwork.
It's just been sitting there in your yard for a few months.
Ask them what to do, how to title and register it, and how much it will cost.

Like others have said, you can waste time asking questions here all day long, and the responses you receive may be correct or incorrect, but if you go to or call a DMV office, you will know for sure what you need to do, within minutes.

They will set you straight-- they will give you the correct answers -- no more speculation.

Knowing is half the battle.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-18-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, it's time that you spend some time here:

State of Oregon: Oregon DMV

You can also call them and ask the questions.
They won't know your name or where you are calling from.
You can explain the situation anonymously.

They will probably tell you that if you have the correct paperwork, that's all you need, though it might matter how long ago it was signed off...I believe you have to transfer title within 30 days.

As long as you have the correct paperwork, the backstory does not even need to be mentioned.
They don't care if the car was originally registered in Oregon, was part of some deal, ended up in Washington, sat there for a while, then bought by some guy in Oregon who now wants to re-register it in Oregon.

All they see is an Oregon title, and a bill of sale that's three months old. When you go to DMV, they probably won't even ask to see the bill of sale, anyway.
As long is the title is signed off and legit, and you have all the correct paperwork (and money) to do the transfer, you will be in and out of DMV within the hour.

Call them and tell them you bought the car a while ago, and haven't gotten around to doing the title paperwork.
It's just been sitting there in your yard for a few months.
Ask them what to do, how to title and register it, and how much it will cost.

Like others have said, you can waste time asking questions here all day long, and the responses you receive may be correct or incorrect, but if you go to or call a DMV office, you will know for sure what you need to do, within minutes.

They will set you straight-- they will give you the correct answers -- no more speculation.

Knowing is half the battle.
Sorry my question was too bad I did not understood correctly your first post My bad Man !
I have spent so much time on the DMV website lol

And what you said is the exact plan I was ready to stick too, this upcoming thrusday :-) You rocks !

The only thing that sucks in oregon is that :
- You CAN'T register a vehicle if you do not have an Insurance
- And you CAN'T Insure a vehicle if you do not have a Driver license
- And I am currently working on passing my driver license test (I come from Europe)

So the car will probably stay a little while in my parking lot...

Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM

At least get the title transferred.
I'm fairly sure you can do a title transfer without proof of insurance.

That way it's yours, but it will sit in your yard, just not legally driveable.
But YOU will be the owner of record.

It's the registration and plates (which you can do later) that need Proof of Insurance.
Don't forget that you will also have to pass the DMV emissions test to register.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I'm just saying... cars are not exactly rare. Without really trying all that hard I have owned at least four cars, a minivan and leased a Turbo Passat for a couple of years until I swore off cars (except for the occasional rental) several years ago. No one car is worth all this handwringing. There is no gun to the o.p.'s head forcing him to take this deal. The best car I ever owned cost $800 off a lot in Salem. A Honda Wagon. Drove it to NYC. Back again to Oregon six months later. Back to NYC. It had 250K miles when purchased. I'd still have it if it hadn't been towed by NYCDOT for two parking tickets $150 each plus Sheriffs fee's etc. it would have easily cost what I paid for it to get it back. My sign from God that this whole car thing was just one big Ponzi scheme to keep the economy turning. I have never bought a car off an individual that didn't have unforseen issues. Some you can fix. The legal ones involving titles etc. are much harder. Me, I'd walk away and not regret that decision for a New York minute.

H

Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Get off the computer and go to DMV.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Me, I'd walk away and not regret that decision for a New York minute.
Depends on the situation.

And Steve, we have told him to go talk to DMV several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon