Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 AM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to the Medford / Ashland area and I'm getting concerned about the drought. I will be moving to acreage dependent on a well and irrigation.

Those of you in the area, can you give me input on the status of things? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Haven't read about it being a problem in the local paper - although we're looking at record drought this summer, if spring doesn't get wetter. Most of the stories about potential drought have been about the various reservoirs and the low level.

I know you can go on line and get well records for drinking/residential records - I think, but am not positive, that applies to irrigation wells also.

You need to know township and range
Well Log Query

Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
I know that Mt. Ashland has barely any snow.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
I was actually there yesterday (nice sunny warm day so we drove up to get some pictures of Mt Shasta and Shastina from an angle you don't normally get to see). The ski area is closed and you can see bare patches on the ground, but the little bunny hill has snow on it and there were a lot of families there, sledding with the kids. Although it was probably 50 degrees out (61 in Medford).

But I don't know the geology in the valley well enough (yet) to know what the aquifer recharge is, at least as far as answering the question about irrigation wells. Doubtless surface drought will affect aquifer levels, but I am not sure what the extent is and how heavily used the aquifers are.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
In past years I've seen us get snow in southern Oregon, through April, sometimes.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
You really need to investigate your water rights. Start with the County, they should be able to tell you where to find that out. Often a land seller will simply tell buyers that there is a well on the property without spelling out how much water the well produces or whether or not there are any water superior rights.

Agricultural water rights, which include wells for irrigation, are documented. As they said in the old west, "Water is for killing, whisky is for drinking."

Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You really need to investigate your water rights. Start with the County, they should be able to tell you where to find that out. Often a land seller will simply tell buyers that there is a well on the property without spelling out how much water the well produces or whether or not there are any water superior rights.

Agricultural water rights, which include wells for irrigation, are documented. As they said in the old west, "Water is for killing, whisky is for drinking."
Thanks, I already have the well record for the property I'm considering, it is 6GPM. I have a copy of the initial construction and flow test (permit). Also it is in TID, Talent Irrigation District so I know the cost of that.

My question is are any wells getting low, are there talks about farmers having to cut back on irrigation from the irrigation districts if the drought continues.

Does anyone see a pattern in the Valley, that could lead to water problems in the future.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Call the well drillers. They would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon