U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 AM

281 posts, read 672,688 times

Advertisements

Eugene and Salem are roughly the same size, but are their downtown areas the same or are they different? Which do you think is more developed physically and/or culturally and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 AM

4,060 posts, read 5,237,582 times
Wow, tough question. I would say different.

Salem is a bit more cohesive. Comparably it has a well organized downtown, moderately charming but not exactly a tourist destination.

Eugene on the contrary is a jumbled mess, but with some significant draws in the mix (Hult Center, 5th St, Saturday Market, library). The UO campus is more of a draw than Willamette's.

Also better dining in Eugene. But it has pockets that are rundown (or knocked down, persistently awaiting development...someday), it's unfocused, and arguably one of its primary functions is being a pass-through to the UO campus. As the campus grows (on-campus student body has grown something like 33% the past decade) outward it's mostly forced toward the west, and so some of what used to be unused space, particularly along 13th/11th does seem to be filling in, for better or worse.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM

15,197 posts, read 37,959,818 times
I'd say Salem's is a bit better and agree with much of what bler144 wrote. Salem also has Saturday and Wed markets, the library is at the edge of downtown. Normally I would agree with better dining in Eugene, but Salem has had a huge uptick of new establishments opening downtown in the past 5 years so the dining scene has changed a lot. I think they are fairly comparable on the dining front now.

Salem officials have a tree chopping addiction so many of our large gorgeous trees have been chopped down in recent years. They were replaced with trees with deeper root systems so that it would spare the sidewalks, but it means we have a lot of young trees downtown. It definitely kills the charm.

Salem also has really large wide streets for a downtown. Ours are almost 100 feet wide, instead of the normal 60ish so there is a lot of concrete to separate one side from another. We have three lanes plus pull in parking (not parallel) on many streets. It keeps it from having that traditional downtown charm of similar sized cities.

U of O has 25,000 students to Willamette's 2,000 so Salem doesn't have a downtown nightlife scene to support the campus. Eugene has more of that.

They are different.

Edit: Eugene's is more bike friendly. We don't have a lot of bike parking downtown as Salem is still struggling a bit to encourage biking.

Last edited by Silverfall; 02-27-2014 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Bikes

Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,351,437 times
Salem not so bike friendly, but Downtown is still alive and business like.

There are actually four shopping districts.

Downtown Salem, unlike Eugene, did not tear down the old mainstays and anchor stores, but connected them with second story walkways to create a mall.

Commercial in South Salem is heavy business/retail. Lancaster in East Salem is the same, and so is River Road in Keiser.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 AM

1,138 posts, read 983,379 times
I prefer Eugene, it's very easy to get around especially bike wise. But they really need to improve Downtown, the way it's laid out is kind of strange (it's all just straight one way roads) and it does need some more businesses. But some areas are really nice like 5th Street Market.

Overall I find that Eugene just has more of a Downtown city life than Salem. There is much more hustle and bustle, more outdoor areas, and morenight life than Salem. Plus the U of O which adds to it even more.

That being said, Downtown Eugene has a lot of weirdos and meth heads hanging around, especially at the Downtown Public Library. But that's how it is in pretty much any city.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 13,413,507 times
When I saw "Downtown Eugene vs Downtown Salem", I pictured all the state workers, justice department types, etc. who work in the state capital area -vs- the "hippies" and similar types running around Eugene's downtown area. (Quite a contrast!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon