Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 AM

11 posts, read 56,276 times

Advertisements

I've never seen this on ANY City web site anywhere - here, the City of Talent Oregon tells the truth about its economic situation, and the housing bubble, prominently on its own web site. This is exemplary for a City to do this on their web site. We are in a severe housing crisis, lots of people want to move to Oregon, and Talent admits it. Most Cities never talk about how the housing recession affects them. They are setting a precedence for other Cities in Talent.

Talent, OR -- Profile

" Between 2002-2006 Talent experienced a period of residential and commercial growth. New subdivisions and apartment complexes. During this housing time housing prices increased making it more difficult for lower income working families to become home owners. While several other developments have been approved, construction has slowed down in 2007. It is not expected that this will turn around soon. Housing prices are also stabilizing. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I definitely want to be in a place that is so forthright about its housing situation. I hadn't heard ot Talent, OR before this post but I do now! Thanks so much o.p. it's on my short list.

H

Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 AM

10 posts, read 18,441 times
I grew up in Talent and lived there from 1964 to 1988. Greatest little town anywhere. Growing up, there were about 1500 people in town. Used to walk everywhere and could never just go to one place and come right back because we always ran into people we knew and shot the bull. All of us kids 1st grade through HS went to the old 3-story brick schoolhouse where the main building of the current elementary school is now. I used to walk clear down Main St from my house, which was right across from the kindergarten on W. Main St (it's something else now...big parking lot also, across the street from the elementary school) down to the little brick post office, which is now (last I checked) the little laundromat near the grocery store near the main intersection.

I worked for the City Fire Department, stationed next to the park opposite of the library (in fact...our library used to be in the basement of the old white community center building, which was our City Hall for a ling time). We used to ride our bikes out in the fields behind the old water marker on Wagner Creek Rd and roll down Rapp Lane in our go-carts. I used to smudge (light the heating pots that kept the fruit trees warm during the winter) at 3am in Ronnie Meyer's orchards out on the other side of the football field when I was in Jr High school (labor laws were a little different then). We used to walk from school to the old market owned by Mayor Granvil Brittsan (later known as Rick's, then Brothers', now it's the big supermarket). The area where the current post office and the skate park, etc was nothing but an old field and remnants of an old RR depot...we used to put coins on the tracks so the would be flattened out by the passing trains. We used to hang out under the bridge on Talent Avenue near the mobile home park. In fact, my grandparents owned that park for many years and grandfather sat on the city council.

We used to ride our bikes down Talent Ave all the way into Ashland, often going across the old highway toward the hills were our friends were. Mom and I used to pick blackberries at the Lynn Newbry Park (actually, it wasn't even a park then). The Truck Stop was really the only thing on the other side of the old highway heading toward the freeway, and it was pretty small...when dad had a little extra money, he'd take us there for breakfast. I used to work in the old Rick's market when I was a kid during the summers. Also had a Mail Tribune newspaper route with over 100 customers along Talent Avenue, delivering on my bike even when we had tons of snow, ice and below freezing temps. In fact, we walked to school always. Our house was one of the first two built in the community back when it was called Wagner Fort during the Rogue Indian War era. I used to drive way up Wagner Creek Rd to visit friends and we'd go up to Freezeout and spend some time there, often stopping at the old cemetery along the way. One if my friends went to the old Talent Academy and lived near there.

I remember many of the wonderful Autumns there in Talent, especially the Harvest Festival. I was in the parade often with the Fire Department and my dad performed live music ( he was something of a local celebrity then) at the park between the library and the fire station, where all the activity was. Main Street was lined with trees all the way down and we even had our own little farm in our big corner lot right in town, complete with small barns, chickens, pigeons, rabbits, geese, ducks, a big garden, cats, a dog, a little pond, etc. Nobody ever complained. Chuck Roberts, long time police chief for whom the park is named, and his wife Mabel were old family friends. He kept us kids in line. The school Principal himself would come walking over to my house to fetch my sister or me if we were late or playing hooky. Back then, if you needed to call someone in Talent, all you needed to do was dial the last four digits ( ours was 4947). TV stations were two from Medford, one or two from Portland, one from San Francisco and one from Oakland (both via repeater towers). As teens we'd go to the old Starlite Drive In Theatre and the old chocolate shop (later known as Adam's Same Ol' Place). Everyone knew everyone and neighbors really interacted and helped each other out.

Talent was a great place to grow up in and, although there have been many changes since then, it probably still is. It wasn't so long ago...I'm a single 45 year old guy who lives in the mountains of northern California. My heart will always be in Talent.

Last edited by SacEMT; 10-04-2010 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM

318 posts, read 515,989 times
Thanks for the fine thoughts & memories on Talent, SacEMT. After departing the panhandle of Nebraska on September 1 this year & moving to Oregon (staying with my sister in Portland until my own housing can be secured) I'd recently spent weeks checking out many various communities in SW Oregon, many... & the one & only community I could imagine living in down there is Talent. Nice vibe & diversity, artsy, not so many "better-than-thou" people as there are to be found in some of the nearby communities. Clean & comfy. Will be looking more closely the next time heading down for a longer look, though my first impression is highly favorable, especially to an artist & writer as I am (as well as being a "common man" financially).

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
One thing about Talent is its proximity to Ashland (about 4 miles to the plaza). During the housing bubble Ashland went stratopheric and was literally only affordable for bubblers from California. So, Ashland now has a very strong feeling of the California Bay Area retirees. Older, exurban retired or semi-retired people with Berkeley and Stanford degrees and big cash. This caused a migration of the younger, artistic upstart types to Talent, where they could groove on the Ashland feeling more affordably. So Talent now has much more youthful energy than Ashland at the moment, and simultaneously stronger linkages to the rest of Oregon. They have done nice things in Talent. But the housing bubble has toasted the economy all over the Rogue Valley, so still hard all around.

I agree that it was commendable and shocking that someone really TOLD THE TRUTH! There is a real estate guy in the valley who really does play it straight. I won't mention any names, but PM me if you want it. I have never worked with the guy, but I have read his columns in the newspaper, and he seemed shockingly honest. Believe me, just about half the people in the Rogue Valley are (were...) in construction, real estate, mortgages, and the like, and getting the straight story is very unusual. Or at least it was when the bubble was still going on. Have I told you how much I hated this housing bubble?!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:25 AM

62 posts, read 189,484 times
Default Talent Housing Market

sounds like a nice town with honest local government officials. just checked their web site and it says -

http://www.cityoftalent.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F407D1FF-D244-429B-B28D-1B4427F9270D}

Between 2002-2006 Talent experienced a period of residential and commercial growth. New subdivisions and apartment complexes. During this housing time housing prices increased making it more difficult for lower income working families to become home owners. While several other developments have been approved, construction has slowed down since 2007. It is expected that this will turn around but not in the near future. Housing prices are also stabilizing.

The Urban Renewal Agency and the Historical Society meet regularly to discuss ideas for further development, refurbishment of the town, and historical preservation.

how about the applegate valley? are homes being built out there?

is ashland building new homes?

does demand for affordable housing exceed the supply of affordable housing?

is bend oregon the same way?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,703 times
Great to hear such good reports of Talent. I'm moving there on the 15th of next month from California. Can anyone recommend a good internet company? I don't want/need phone or TV service. I found DC Wireless ISP and that it's locally owned which appeals to me. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,642 times
Red face to sacEMT my heart will always be in Talent

I just read your message dated 2010 and it is now 2014. Doubtful that you are still single but I am looking to relocate to that area from Kentucky. I love your assessment of the area. I would appreciate an honest appraisal about that community as it is now, that is, if you know. Or even, the community that you live in now. I lived in So. Cal. for many years in my younger days. I am divorced, 58 yrs old but still have a lot of life left in me. I like the outdoors, have too much of a mind for eastern KY area and want to live not just vegetate. I need to work, preferably in my chosen trade, Cosmetologist, and I need to be somewhat close to a VA facility in the event I become unhealthy. I can't afford much in the way of housing but would like a place somewhat countrified. Maybe you could guide me. I plan to visit the area this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacEMT View Post
I grew up in Talent and lived there from 1964 to 1988. Greatest little town anywhere. Growing up, there were about 1500 people in town. Used to walk everywhere and could never just go to one place and come right back because we always ran into people we knew and shot the bull. All of us kids 1st grade through HS went to the old 3-story brick schoolhouse where the main building of the current elementary school is now. I used to walk clear down Main St from my house, which was right across from the kindergarten on W. Main St (it's something else now...big parking lot also, across the street from the elementary school) down to the little brick post office, which is now (last I checked) the little laundromat near the grocery store near the main intersection.

I worked for the City Fire Department, stationed next to the park opposite of the library (in fact...our library used to be in the basement of the old white community center building, which was our City Hall for a ling time). We used to ride our bikes out in the fields behind the old water marker on Wagner Creek Rd and roll down Rapp Lane in our go-carts. I used to smudge (light the heating pots that kept the fruit trees warm during the winter) at 3am in Ronnie Meyer's orchards out on the other side of the football field when I was in Jr High school (labor laws were a little different then). We used to walk from school to the old market owned by Mayor Granvil Brittsan (later known as Rick's, then Brothers', now it's the big supermarket). The area where the current post office and the skate park, etc was nothing but an old field and remnants of an old RR depot...we used to put coins on the tracks so the would be flattened out by the passing trains. We used to hang out under the bridge on Talent Avenue near the mobile home park. In fact, my grandparents owned that park for many years and grandfather sat on the city council.

We used to ride our bikes down Talent Ave all the way into Ashland, often going across the old highway toward the hills were our friends were. Mom and I used to pick blackberries at the Lynn Newbry Park (actually, it wasn't even a park then). The Truck Stop was really the only thing on the other side of the old highway heading toward the freeway, and it was pretty small...when dad had a little extra money, he'd take us there for breakfast. I used to work in the old Rick's market when I was a kid during the summers. Also had a Mail Tribune newspaper route with over 100 customers along Talent Avenue, delivering on my bike even when we had tons of snow, ice and below freezing temps. In fact, we walked to school always. Our house was one of the first two built in the community back when it was called Wagner Fort during the Rogue Indian War era. I used to drive way up Wagner Creek Rd to visit friends and we'd go up to Freezeout and spend some time there, often stopping at the old cemetery along the way. One if my friends went to the old Talent Academy and lived near there.

I remember many of the wonderful Autumns there in Talent, especially the Harvest Festival. I was in the parade often with the Fire Department and my dad performed live music ( he was something of a local celebrity then) at the park between the library and the fire station, where all the activity was. Main Street was lined with trees all the way down and we even had our own little farm in our big corner lot right in town, complete with small barns, chickens, pigeons, rabbits, geese, ducks, a big garden, cats, a dog, a little pond, etc. Nobody ever complained. Chuck Roberts, long time police chief for whom the park is named, and his wife Mabel were old family friends. He kept us kids in line. The school Principal himself would come walking over to my house to fetch my sister or me if we were late or playing hooky. Back then, if you needed to call someone in Talent, all you needed to do was dial the last four digits ( ours was 4947). TV stations were two from Medford, one or two from Portland, one from San Francisco and one from Oakland (both via repeater towers). As teens we'd go to the old Starlite Drive In Theatre and the old chocolate shop (later known as Adam's Same Ol' Place). Everyone knew everyone and neighbors really interacted and helped each other out.

Talent was a great place to grow up in and, although there have been many changes since then, it probably still is. It wasn't so long ago...I'm a single 45 year old guy who lives in the mountains of northern California. My heart will always be in Talent.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswooLey View Post
I just read your message dated 2010 and it is now 2014. Doubtful that you are still single but I am looking to relocate to that area from Kentucky. I love your assessment of the area. I would appreciate an honest appraisal about that community as it is now, that is, if you know. Or even, the community that you live in now. I lived in So. Cal. for many years in my younger days. I am divorced, 58 yrs old but still have a lot of life left in me. I like the outdoors, have too much of a mind for eastern KY area and want to live not just vegetate. I need to work, preferably in my chosen trade, Cosmetologist, and I need to be somewhat close to a VA facility in the event I become unhealthy. I can't afford much in the way of housing but would like a place somewhat countrified. Maybe you could guide me. I plan to visit the area this summer.
He could easily still be single. A bigger problem is that he hasn't posted since 2011. I'm not that much younger than you... damn Skippy you (should) have a lot of life left in you. You seem to have a lot of things decided on scant evidence, not a good way to live IMO. PNW-type-Gal answered your other post. She is a very wise woman in general. Listen to her. You are in for a world of culture shock. You have too much of a mind for eastern KY?? Whatever does that mean? You are talking with us via the Internet. The guys here won't get you and you won't get them. Neither will random people you meet on the street. Talent isn't countrified. Its rural. There is a difference. FWIW.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon