Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We currently live in a city in the Willamette Valley. We're looking at buying a house in the next year and are interested in some of the smaller, unincorporated communities around Monroe and Junction City. However, my partner is transgender (female to male) and we're anxious about being outside of the more liberal cities. Additionally, we'll be adding children to the mix soon, and we want them to be in school systems that will respect our family's configuration.

Does anyone have any recommendations for small, tolerant communities? We're wondering if we should live near Corvallis, but ugh.

We're not very different at all- we even look heterosexual, but my partner is not "in the closet" and will address his transition as needed (when people have questions, or notice he's rather short for a man, lol). We're just concerned about being "found out" and neighbors/friends being uncomfortable or angry.

Thank you!

Last edited by Katyaj; 03-15-2014 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Oops, I didn't realize "que*r would be edited out. Sorry for any confusion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Wherever you go, he'll be the first of his kind. It's not like we can give you any realistic advice. Let us know how it works out.

BTW, is this Alex? If so, I met him both before and after.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Corvallis, ugh? Explain. And what about your neighbors/friends where you live now? How certain are you that none of them are 'uncomfortable' or angry? Whatever the answer (I don't need to know) insert it into the blank for the city you intend to visit. It will be the same there. It's 2014. Neighbors need to know that you don't intend to cook meth and destroy the groundwater. That's it. Once they satisfy themselves that you are not manufacturing drugs on your premises they will stay away until invited. And maybe even then.

H

Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
The key to tolerant people is communication with other people and frequent access to other people - the general public. Most people in small towns have that these days and are quite tolerant. (TV, internet, cell phones, etc.)

Sweet Home, which is a logging town, even had a gay bartender at one of the bars for quite awhile. And the young people there are quite tolerant of all types.

The people who are trouble are religious hateful republicans who tend to be isolated from other people like farmers and so forth. Farmers may also not have access to the internet due to their remote locations. But most small towns do.

And with internet access, people can give their opinions on forums like these, then they quickly learn that hateful talk is not acceptable. 15 years ago it was quite a different story in all rural areas.

Another thing you can do is check out the gay personals in Corvallis craigslist.org Or Eugene. See what small towns they are posting from.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The people who are trouble are religious hateful republicans ...........
It doesn't appear to me that the Republicans are the bigots here.

OP, Oregon is pretty much live and let live. Religion is private. You aren't likely to run into anyone who will care as long as you don't make yourself obnoxious, try to change the way things are done to the way they were done back in your home town, and don't go around littering or breaking the law.

If you are worried about it, chose the place you think you'd like to live and then rent there for a few months to see if you really like it.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I don't think it matters where you live. Most people haven't met a transgender person so I think Larry is kind of spot on with that. Your partner will be a first for many people so it will be up to you as a couple to set the stage for that.

Silverton has Stu (male to female) which I think gave a lot of publicity in Oregon to transgender. She still goes by Stu. The worst thing I have heard people say about Stu is that she has horrible taste in clothes and needs a stylist.

We have a transgender (male to female) woman here who is a killer bike mechanic. She went to high school here so the community knows her before and after. I can't speak for her life here or what people might say to her, but again, the worst things I have heard said has been just wondering if she was a man before (she is really big and tall, broad shoulders). Then people go on about their business.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:

The people who are trouble are religious hateful republicans .
The problem is hateful people regardless of religion or politics. I know some libs that are totally condescending and intolerant of religious people. It goes both ways.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
Quote:
The people who are trouble are religious hateful republicans who tend to be isolated from other people like farmers and so forth.
What a ignorant comment. A group of people may not agree with your way of life, and thats ok. Just like you may not agree with there way of life. Christians/Republicans/Etc.. tend to be ostracized for supporting traditional households. Live your life the way you want it and don't worry about what other people think.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
When I was at Chemekata (2004 to 2007) I took a diversity class. One of the movies shown was the documentary "Southern Comfort". Sissy Spacik was supposed to do a drama playing Bobby Eads. I don't know if it every happened.

It brought tears to my eyes.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Last edited by Katyaj; 03-15-2014 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Oops, I didn't realize "que*r would be edited out. Sorry for any confusion!

It's one of those words like the "N" word, if you are you can say it, but if you're not you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon