U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 25,419 times

Advertisements

What is this town like? Is it a good place to raise a young family?
looked into Medford, but it seems over-valued and congested and
high crime with prisons being over crowded. Californians are driving
up the homes prices everywhere, but Roseburg still seems the homes
are priced right. I'm sure the job growth is pretty sad there and isolated.
Bend is over-valued with lots of traffic and yippie want-to-be rich types.
I now nothing about Corvallis which seems like a good place with good schooling, but rains more than anywhere else. Is there an idea place in
Oregon to relocate. I just hear too many negative things about everytown
in Oregon that is a turn-off, but it has to be better than Tacoma, WA.
The cost of living in Oregon is higher anywhere in the nation. Dazed-n-confused........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 04:04 PM

344 posts, read 1,767,318 times
I grew up in Roseburg and lived in Salem and Portland. Of the three, I liked Roseburg best. It has mountains all around it, which I really like. There are plenty of homes with outstanding views. I was just there two weeks ago and I am stunned at the money that is moving into Roseburg. It is attracting a lot of retirees I was told. Downtown Roseburg on Jackson Street looked alive and well. There are plenty of shopping centers around and the lumber industry looked like it was thriving. One subdivision of homes each with five acres took my breath away. East Garden Valley Boulevard took me up the side of a mountain with a street of new homes with stunning views. Yes, property is still fairly reasonable in Roseburg. I can remember a few foggy nights growing up. My wife asked me the other day if I wore a jacket to school and I told her no. A long sleeve shirt was plenty warm. I do recall a quarter inch of ice forming on mud puddles that I loved stepping on as a kid. After touring Oregon for two weeks, Roseburg was our third favorite city in all of Oregon. There is the mighty Umpqua River and wonderful parks all around Roseburg. The best Chinese food I ever ate came from that town. I graduated from Roseburg Senior High. In one hour you can be at North Bend or Coos Bay on the Oregon coast. I never thought of Roseburg as the Banana Belt of Oregon weather but a local realtor insisted that it was and who am I to argue.

If you would like to see our pictures of Roseburg click on Clear2Land to send me your email address and I will gladly send them over. I found it a great place to live!

Dan

PS: Oregon is not an expensive state to live in. It's $55 to license your car for two years. There are Farmers Markets in Roseburg. Property taxes in some areas are very high and in others not high at all. I'm not sure you can make a lot of money in Roseburg but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live there either.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 60,492 times
Roseburg is a very nice little town 40,000 aprox inside city. I just moved from there and there are only a couple of things that I would consider major downs. 1. The pay scales for the average worker do not work with the cost of living in the area. 2. The shopping and dining in the area leaves a lot to be desired. Entertainment (night life type) is nil, movies, skating are about the main events. Eugene is close for shopping, but normally you don't want to go that far for a nice evening out.
If I was moving there w/children, I would try the Sutherlin/Oakland area. The cost of living is better and the is not the over crowing in the schools that you have in Roseburg School District. The school district is good but remember, it is a small town, so you would not be hi-tech as much as you would in a larger city.

The kids get to enjoy the whole outdoors, it is SO BEAUTIFUL in that part of the state that it almost makes you cry. The rivers, mountains and the overall country is almost to die for. There is so much to do in such a small area that you can't beat it.

The city does seem to be wanting to grow, it is trying-- put it that way. They are finally getting some business in that will help support the economy and give the non-retired persons a decent wage. The retired population that is fast growing (because it really is a great place) would not be able generate enough to support the younger persons that are coming up or those like yourself thinking of moving in.

I would go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Last edited by tazmel; 10-23-2006 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,107,162 times
1. Be careful about generalizing the housing costs in Roseburg. Roseburg has more dilapidated and desperation housing than most other cities, which drives down the averages. There are also some problematic neighborhoods in Roseburg in terms of age and general conditions of yards and houses. What I'm saying here is don't assume a house that you'd actually want to live would actually cost you less in Roseburg than it would elsewhere. On-line realty company photos are usually cropped to highlight only the positives. Housing costs are also lower in markets that have a higher proportion of housing vacancy. That's usually an indicator of economic health and overall desireability, though your personal needs may vary.

2. Remember that Roseburg is south of the Willamette Valley and summers can be quite hot with many days over 100F. Again, that may meet with your personal preferences (it's certainly a good gardening climate), but the general impression is often that western valleys have mild summers, and that's not the case in the Umpqua.

3. Don't think that fewer inches of rain means less gloom. The windward side of the mountains might wring a lot of moisture out of the clouds, but that doesn't mean that the clouds disappear. Rainless overcast is common. I wouldn't use amount of average rainfall as a criterion for evaluating the climatic liveability of different areas in western Oregon. The experiential effect doesn't vary that much.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 60,492 times
Sorry, that you don't like the area! it is a very nice place.

As with ANY area there are good and bad housing markets. But I don't think you should say Roseburg is more dilapidated than any other place. Sorry most of the housing is in the 150-200 range, with many new areas that are actually much higher, there are areas of the city that are rated historical, these really do need help but are on the way to being rejuvinated, and while you are able to find lower end (as with anywhere in the US) I can't say that as a whole the area is bad. I just moved out after many years and I have found many more bad areas up here in Portland than I ever did in Roseburg, comparing the size---I'd say Roseburg is very good.

I will admit that it is a milder climate with more rain than snow/ ice. But, it is no more gloomy than any other city in the state during the winter months.

ALSO, depending on the summer the max you will find temps in the 3 digits, is maybe 2 weeks, but there are the rarities.

can you please tell me where you got all your stats? I am having a real hard time with them, maybe old timers has kicked in and I don't remember!

Sorry again that you did not like the area.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM

Actually I do like the area. In terms of natural settings, the Hundred Valleys of the Umpqua is one of the loveliest parts of Oregon. It's a pity that the attractiveness of the city doesn't do justice to Mother Nature's glory. Yes, there are historic pockets in Roseburg that rival anything in Portland or Ashland for attractive residential areas. But Roseburg's overall effect on the eye is rather harsh. Industrial districts are always close by, and commercial signage blight is rampant. Local government is weak and city planning is hit-and-miss. It isn't that the whole city is run-down, but pockets of dilapidated housing that most cities would have condemned are still common there...and they figure into the "affordable housing" equation. Urban renewal plans are very slow to get going because the city is broke.

I'm also not saying that Roseburg is any gloomier than Eugene or Corvallis, only that it is not significantly less so, despite the lower rainfall. I, personally, would trade the kind of summers that Roseburg has for the non-summers that we have on the coast. But a lot of ex-Roseburgers have retired here and do cite summer heat as a reason for moving to the coast. It's neither bad nor good. It's just that prospective city-hunters need to know that summer in Roseburg is not as mild as more northerly areas in the PNW. On the postive side, Spring comes a little sooner there and balmy autumn weather lasts a little longer. That's why the first local tomatoes in state markets come out of Roseburg -- warmer days arrive there earlier in the year. So "hot weather" is all relative; it's not like this is Sacramento or Las Vegas. Roseburg is also a very wind-protected area. I think that's good overall, but it does mean that the ocean breezes that temper warm summer afternoons in most Willamette Valley cities are less likely make it through the topography around Roseburg. That raises the perceived heat index. Following this post are some data from the WRCC on summer heat comparisons between Corvallis and Roseburg.
So it isn't a simple question of liking or not liking the area. As with Salem, I just don't see it as a place to strive for. Ranked with other areas in Oregon on the earning potential vs. attractive liveability quotient*, I don't think it would make the top 20 list. But it may fit the needs of some. Lifestyle choices also figure in. If hunting and fishing opportunities are high on the priorities schedule, Roseburg rises higher on the list. And if Douglas County can ever find a source of funding after the O&C receipts dry up, it may, indeed, be a place that will gentrify and prove to be a good investment for the long-term stayers.

* The basic idea here is that the lower the potential for career success in the local economy, the more attractive and liveable the city needs to be to justify settling there.

Station (351862) CORVALLIS STATE UNIV
From Year=1889 To Year=2006
Cooling Degree Days for Selected Base Temperature (F)
Base Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec. Annual
55 0 1 3 22 83 185 344 348 205 46 2 0 1240
57 0 0 1 12 55 137 283 287 155 27 1 0 959
60 0 0 0 4 28 81 196 199 94 10 0 0 612
65 0 0 0 0 6 27 82 82 30 1 0 0 228
70 0 0 0 0 1 7 25 23 5 0 0 0 60

Station (357331) ROSEBURG KQEN
From Year=1965 To Year=2006
Cooling Degree Days for Selected Base Temperature (F)
Base Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec. Annual
55 1 3 10 36 131 271 456 467 293 86 8 1 1765
57 0 1 5 22 95 216 395 405 238 57 4 1 1439
60 0 0 1 9 56 144 303 313 162 28 1 0 1017
65 0 0 0 2 18 60 165 170 67 6 0 0 488
70 0 0 0 0 3 18 66 68 18 1 0 0 174

Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Steve, I am listening to what you have to say and trying real hard to agree with what you have to say. I grew up in Roseburg so I know the place pretty well. I was just there two weeks ago looking the place over with a fine toothcomb. It can get into the 90’s for short periods in the summer as I recall but have no recollection of it exceeding triple digits for more than a day or two. Temperatures that high are rare and infrequent during my living there. I do remember periods of early morning fog in winter and thick fog at night only on two occasions in my entire life there. I never wore a coat to school ever. I was more than comfortable in a long sleeve shirt.

As for the cities we visited in Oregon, most could use a coat of paint including your Brookings. I did not see one city that did not need renovation in one form or another. The problem with most Oregon cities is that you can be driving down a commercial street and see eyesores. I don’t see that here in California or Arizona. I was surprised at how good downtown Roseburg looked. I drove Jackson Street three or four times. Pine Street could use a coat of paint and Hanson Chevrolet you desperately need a coat of paint! My old High School was very well kept. City streets were clean and parks were very well maintained.

We looked at a lot of homes in Roseburg. The house my grandfather built on Clover Avenue, it used to be Clover Lane, does look run down and is in need of a coat of paint. It was a dirt road when I live there. I’ve been flying for 39 years as a result of living on Clover Avenue watching little yellow Piper Cubs takeoff from Roseburg Municipal Airport. I said to myself, "Someday I will learn to fly one of those." There are more private airfields around Roseburg than any other place in Oregon. I think I counted 10.

It takes money moving into a city to make it grow and that is what I saw there in spades. There are subdivisions starting at $500,000. I saw some million-dollar homes in the area and that is always good for local commerce. Roseburg incomes are directly tired to the local economy. I moved to San Diego just to take advantage of the mountain of money that lives here. I intend to move some of that to Merlin here in the next year or so. If I had to pick an up and coming area it would be Roseburg. It was a big surprise to me. I had no idea that people with money would want to call Roseburg home.

I do wish Oregonians who live there would take more pride in the property they own. A new coat of paint does not cost an arm and a leg especially if you do the work yourself. I just painted two doors on my house today. Painting was easy. Cleanup was hard. I seem to get more paint on me than the doors.

Lastly, you talked about shopping in Roseburg. Well, there is Fred Meyers, Wall-Mart, and Safeway for your consumables. I saw lots of men and women’s clothing stores in plazas. I recall seeing a Home Depot being built on Garden Valley Boulevard. They do have a good paint department at HD. Maybe someone will buy a gallon and start painting something on their property.

Most Oregon cities are not as well kept as the state in which they reside.

Dan

Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 PM

252 posts, read 1,082,744 times
Hey Dan,
I've been looking @ some homes available based on the link you sent me a while back. In most of Oregon, it appears your choices are either a new home built in a new subdivision or an older Craftsman era-type home with a chain link fence and/or dirt roads in need of repair. I don't seem to find many homes available that are of relative middle age (ie 60s to 80s) in a well kept & established neighborhood which are common were I grew up (Orange Co, LA valley areas). Additionally, older homes in good cond seems to be on an acreage. Is this somewhat accurate or am I missing something?

thanks again.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Obviously, you saw my pictures. We were mostly interested in newer homes. There are a lot of older established streets with nice homes in Roseburg. How well your home is kept has something to do with price. Home in the $250,000 range and up are bigger nicer and newer than those in the $150,000 range. Personally, I would not buy a $150,000 home that is only worth $60,000 in my estimation if that. My aunt lives in a nicer area on a good street of well kept homes. Here, let me help you out a bit more. Call Moderator cut: realtor. I stopped in to talk to her and she was most helpful. Tell her what you are looking for and she can email you listings in the area that could be of interest to you.

Dan

Last edited by Yac; 10-25-2006 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: realtor contact

Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
As for the cities we visited in Oregon, most could use a coat of paint including your Brookings. I did not see one city that did not need renovation in one form or another.
True. Brookings is horrible in terms of housing blight, local economy, city planning and other factors. On this forum, I have been consistent in discouraging people from considering it as a place to move. Brookings would not make the Top 50 List on the ranking of Oregon municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon