Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM

36 posts, read 66,419 times

Advertisements

I will soon be relocating (okay, okay...moving) to Florence. Just want to know if cellphone service exists between Florence and Eugene. Solid all the way, or dead spots? I know a lot depends on who your carrier is. If you have good service through most of that route, what carrier are you using?

Yep, I searched for it. Nope did not find another thread that addressed this specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
It has been some time since I drove that highway so can't give specifics. That said, Verizon provides very good service in Oregon. AT&T has the reputation of being problematic.

If you are in the Coast Guard: merchant mariners have had good cell service from Verizon on their ships.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It has been some time since I drove that highway so can't give specifics. That said, Verizon provides very good service in Oregon. AT&T has the reputation of being problematic.

If you are in the Coast Guard: merchant mariners have had good cell service from Verizon on their ships.
I understand, but "landers" have to rely on cellphone towers, while mariners rely on satellites.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I usually shut off my cellphone during the drive because "searching for service" drains the battery so quickly. There are definitely dead spots (I have Verizon). Between Florence and Mapleton is solid (on the road-we drop calls left and right on the hillside).

I've never had great service while driving through most mountains, which is why I automatically turn my phone off. However, I can keep it on next time I go. Unfortunately, I don't know when that will be. It might be this weekend, it might be a couple weeks. Are you interested in certain areas (I.e. Walton) or just the entire length?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I usually shut off my cellphone during the drive because "searching for service" drains the battery so quickly. There are definitely dead spots (I have Verizon). Between Florence and Mapleton is solid (on the road-we drop calls left and right on the hillside).

I've never had great service while driving through most mountains, which is why I automatically turn my phone off. However, I can keep it on next time I go. Unfortunately, I don't know when that will be. It might be this weekend, it might be a couple weeks. Are you interested in certain areas (I.e. Walton) or just the entire length?
I am only concerned about this as my daughter, who is a single parent, will occasionally want to go to Eugene from Florence and want to know if she can call me if she happens to have any problems along the way, or back. I will also be living in Florence. So the entire distance. I guess it will just be hit and miss, but I expected that.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
It's well traveled (too traveled, sometimes. I missed a doctor appt. last week because of heavy and SUPER slow traffic-not happy. ) and I have driven it many times with just my kids. But I will still keep it on next time and try to get an estimate for you.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Yes, all three services I have had, have dead spots between Florence and Eugene. Mapleton with two and Walton with the other.

Last edited by Steve Pickering; 03-26-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks Crazy.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I use this:

Amazon.com: Wilson 815226 Sleek Cell Phone Signal Booster: Cell Phones & Accessories

It minimizes signal dropouts pretty well. I have still found places off the beaten path where there is no signal, though.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I use this:

Amazon.com: Wilson 815226 Sleek Cell Phone Signal Booster: Cell Phones & Accessories

It minimizes signal dropouts pretty well. I have still found places off the beaten path where there is no signal, though.
Thanks Larry. This will be very useful. Appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon