Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM

36 posts, read 66,410 times

Advertisements

I am 59 years old, and will be 60 when I retire from my current career in New Mexico. I am actually a former Oregon Coast resident (North Bend) when I moved away 20 years ago to start a second career in the Southwest. It has been a fun ride, but once retired we want to move back to the coast that we love.

We have visited just about every corner of Oregon over the past 3 years in an effort to decide exactly where we want to settle for the rest of our lives, and no matter where we went our heart always steered us back to the coast. So the coast it is.

I have noticed that home prices on the coast can be pretty high, and there appear to be some very good deals on manufactured homes/lots in +55 gated communities, especially Green Trees Village and Florentine in Florence. I am aware of the HOA fees as a downside, but the cost of the homes balance that out IMHO, and the fact that in both communities the owners not only own their home but the lot that it sits on, which I understand is not the norm for manufactured home communities.

The wife is not enthused about living in a +55 gated community, and I am indifferent, which is where the purpose of this thread comes in.

For those who do, or have lived in a coastal +55 gated HOA community, can you please share your opinion of the pros and cons with me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 PM

197 posts, read 458,907 times
There's also Pacific Homes Beach Club in Newport where you own the land too. Older than Florentine but the few for sale are less costly. They are great people there. Some still work. PHBC A Retirement Community - Home Page. I think there are only 2 places for sale due to the desire to live there.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,912,662 times
I'm far from being 55, and honestly, I would be against it, too, because I want to be surrounded by all age groups and don't want to live in a gated community. However, I was recently in each development at garage/estate sales. The houses in Greentrees seem close together. The garage sale was in the community center and I came away feeling like there is a strong sense of community there. I was surprised at how large Florentine was. It was very nicely wooded, there was stronger security, houses well spaced apart, and walking paths. I liked what I saw.

I know that isn't exactly what you asked, and my impressions are just that, but I figure more info is better. The neighborhoods off Spruce in the 16-22 Streets seem pretty decent with some decent prices. A mix of ages. Some friends just bought in that area and like it, and it is thee place to trick or treat-the neighborhood goes all out.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Most of the 55+ I am familiar with are manufactured homes or senior homes. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon