Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times

Advertisements

Brooking Oregon is paradise to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
It is for many, and well it should be. Before my wife retired we went to Brookings three or four times a month.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Yes, it would be for many people. We stay there at a hotel on the water whenever we are driving by on the way back from roadtrip that takes us into northern CA.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
You're lucky to be living in your paradise!! Life as it should be.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM

60 posts, read 94,600 times
Saw a travel show about Brookings, and at the time of filming it was 70 degrees in October; the hostess of the show was in a tank top. I wanted to know if Brookings has a long summer or a delayed summer, as it is in a weather "banana valley" or something like that; I understand that it is warmer there than in Crescent City or in Gold Beach? I wanted to ask also about the lumber mills that I read about on another post; the poster said that there was noise and pollution from 2 lumber mills (one in town and one to the north of town). I also wanted to know if anyone has used the flight to Medford option for medical care for emergencies; how this has worked in a real case scenario. Thanks for any information! It did indeed look like paradise on the travel show, as did Gold Beach (although that looked alot colder than Brookings).

Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty4 View Post
Saw a travel show about Brookings, and at the time of filming it was 70 degrees in October; the hostess of the show was in a tank top. I wanted to know if Brookings has a long summer or a delayed summer, as it is in a weather "banana valley" or something like that; I understand that it is warmer there than in Crescent City or in Gold Beach? I wanted to ask also about the lumber mills that I read about on another post; the poster said that there was noise and pollution from 2 lumber mills (one in town and one to the north of town). I also wanted to know if anyone has used the flight to Medford option for medical care for emergencies; how this has worked in a real case scenario. Thanks for any information! It did indeed look like paradise on the travel show, as did Gold Beach (although that looked alot colder than Brookings).

Brookings is known as the Banana Belt of Oregon, But ......... It is still the Oregon Coast.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
The highest temp I have heard about in Brookings is 103, one day. They have warm air currents at times. They call it the "Brookings Effect" or "Chetco Effect"......They get a lot of rain too.

Brookings effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+Chetco+Effect

Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Brookings can get warm and stay warm for a few days, like Hawk J posted, it's called the Chetco Effect, that is when the winds are blowing in from the east, you get the warm air mass from the valley moving into the Brookings area. Don't expect the weather to be like this all the time, after all you are still along the Oregon coast.

As for the lumber mills, Brookings, like most of the towns along the coast were fishing and timber towns and only a few of them are still doing this, Brookings is one of them. These mills have been there long before and developers decided to build subdivisions and unfortunately they built them right next to the lumber mills. I read a lot about people complaining about these mills, the mill at Gray Flat just north of town. That is a source of irritation that people are going to have to live with. It has been in the last 20 years that Brooking has become a retirement town, these mills have been there for 40-50 years.

All in all Brookings is a nice town, we always enjoy going for for the weekend when the temps in the valley are in the triple digits.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,691 times
Just curious, would you consider Brookings to be more liberal or conservative?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Conservative even with it's California proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon