Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regardless of my personal views on the measure, Measure 91 on the Fall 2014 Oregon ballot will:
Pass 67 84.81%
Fail 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I will fight it aggressively. Oregon does not need a gateway drug, and anyone who thinks it isn't is either a user or not living in the real world. I predict this is too controversial for this forum and will meet it's demise sooner than later.
Read this:

Experts debate whether marijuana is a 'gateway' drug - ABC2News.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Facts not allowed in this debate…

The entire "gateway drug" concept as it concerns marijuana is nothing more than wholly unsubstantiated nonsense made up by people who want to tell others what to do. People can look around and see that marijuana isn't hurting anyone, so in an effort to keep it illegal, they make up stories about how it leads to being a meth-shooting crackhead turning tricks for a fix.

Why don't we go ahead and label coffee or soda or cigarettes or beer "gateway drugs" too? Makes about as much sense. Isn't it amazing how people can have their morning coffee without feeling the need to go snort a line of cocaine that evening? Kind of like how one can smoke a joint and not feel to go shoot heroin the next morning.

But this does illustrate the trouble marijuana is going to have on the ballot. For decades, the government and various control freaks have pushed a bunch of silly made up nonsense to scare people, and lots of people have been duped, unable to see that the whole thing is about nothing more than money and control.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Uhg.

There is a difference between physical (chemical) addiction and that of mental (psychological) addiction. Not a single person will go through physical withdraws from marijuana other than psychosomatic manifestations. Alcohol, which is legal, on the other hand? You will go through a VERY rough physical DT and it is one of the rare drugs whos DTs can actually kill you.

Yes, WoW is really that addictive and harmful

Re: "Gateway Drug". To me, if they took pot off the black market and put it into legitimate stores there is no way I would have gone to a friends house at 14 to buy some pot and then also been offered mushrooms and acid. This "problem", literally, solved.

Last edited by kapetrich; 08-24-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Any pleasurable activity can be as addictive? I have my doubts.
Is sex addiction is chemically based? No. Is it a real thing? Yes.
Is video game addiction chemically based? No. Is it a real thing? Yes.

The chemical compounds in cannabis do not cause physical dependency. It is not chemically addictive. It is purely psychological, it does not have anything to do with the substance.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Is sex addiction is chemically based? No. Is it a real thing? Yes.
Is video game addiction chemically based? No. Is it a real thing? Yes.

The chemical compounds in cannabis do not cause physical dependency. It is not chemically addictive. It is purely psychological, it does not have anything to do with the substance.
It should be noted that our psychological states are ultimately the result of the chemical and physical states of our brains. Nothing is ever truly "purely psychological". Marijuana affects these states and over time certain neurotransmitter receptor sites can become downregulated. People who use cannabis heavily and quit suddenly can experience sleeplessness, extremely vivid rebound dreams, upset stomach, mood swings, and other symptoms. In this sense, it is chemically addictive. What we really should be saying is that marijuana does not cause physical or psychological dependence or withdrawal symptoms associated with harder drugs like opioid painkillers, cocaine, meth, etc or anything that binds to opioid receptors or directly affects dopamine reuptake or release.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
It should be noted that our psychological states are ultimately the result of the chemical and physical states of our brains. Marijuana affects these states and over time certain neurotransmitter receptor sites can become downregulated. In this sense, it is chemically addictive. What we really should be saying is that marijuana does not cause physical or psychological dependence or withdrawal symptoms associated with harder drugs like opioid painkillers, cocaine, meth, etc or anything that binds to opioid receptors or directly affects dopamine reuptake or release.
Again, any pleasurable activity has an effect on the chemicals in your brain, even listening to music. Cannabis is no different. Running causes a release of endorphin, nobody would call it a "chemically addictive drug".

Even if you form a habit of running for the endorphin release, you are not chemically addicted to running.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Again, any pleasurable activity has an effect on the chemicals in your brain, even listening to music. Cannabis is no different. Running causes a release of endorphin, nobody would call it a "chemically addictive drug".

Even if you form a habit of running for the endorphin release, you are not chemically addicted to running.
Well, considering the word endorphin literally means "endogenous morphine" and these chemicals bind to opioid receptor sites, it actually could be considered a kind of chemical addiction. The difference is instead of injecting or ingesting it, you are manufacturing it within yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I am FULLY in support of both state and federal marijuana legalization, and am a frequent consumer of both bud and oil (and sometimes oil-coated bud!). I just think we should be totally honest with our language and descriptions.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Well, considering the word endorphin literally means "endogenous morphine" and these chemicals bind to opioid receptor sites, it actually could be considered a kind of chemical addiction.

Don't get me wrong, I am FULLY in support of both state and federal marijuana legalization, and am a frequent consumer of both bud and oil. I just think we should be totally honest with our language and descriptions.
It would be a stretch.

By those standards, everything could be considered a kind of chemical addiction. Again, any pleasurable activity changes your brain chemistry, even listening to music.

It still is completely true that the chemical compounds in cannabis themselves do not cause a physical dependence upon them. Cocaine, amphetamines, etc... DO cause a physical dependence on the chemicals that make up the drugs.

I am all for being completely open and honest with our language, and truthfully, unless you consider all pleasurable activities to be "chemically addictive" then you can't count cannabis as being "chemically addictive". It is certainly not the same thing as other drugs, even legal drugs like alcohol, nicotine, caffeine.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
IIs video game addiction chemically based? No. Is it a real thing? Yes.
Source?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 AM

This discussion got me googling and this came up.

Marijuana | Brown University Health Education

Quote:
No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.

For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. In 2006 marijuana was responsible for 16% of all admissions to treatment facilities in the U.S. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon