Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regardless of my personal views on the measure, Measure 91 on the Fall 2014 Oregon ballot will:
Pass 67 84.81%
Fail 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,965,453 times

Advertisements

xylephlo wrote: I'm a cannabis user who has never had the urge to try hard drugs.

I've not been as fortunate as you. Cannabis was my introduction to mind altering substances. It has been a gateway drug for me, leading me into hard core drugs like alcohol and caffeine. I drink a bottle of beer just about every evening, and 2 cups of yerba mate every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM

677 posts, read 872,645 times
And I started with two cups of coffee every morning, now I've got to fire up the old Volcano every night.

Seriously, here are some people who have admitted using cannabis and have noted the positive influence on their lives.

Carl Sagen - astronomer, astrophysic
Steven Jay Gould - paleontologist, biologist
The guy who won a Nobel prize for figuring out the double-helix structure of DNA. I forget his name.
Oliver Sacks, neurologist

Too bad marijuana makes you stupid and is a "gateway" to narcotics. Otherwise those guys might have amounted to something.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:03 PM

18,432 posts, read 15,184,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Cocaine is almost never used by dentists today. Novocaine and Lidocaine are synthetic anesthetic drugs, they are not derived from cocaine.
I use cocaine for surgeries involving the nasal and pharyngeal mucosa. Mostly ENT surgeries, like nasal and sinus surgeries. It works great for those types of cases.

It always amazes me how, still to this day, cocaine is a Schedule 2 drug while marijuana is a Schedule 1. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

When using the term "narcotic" there is the legal definition and the scientific definition. While marijuana is not a narcotic in a medical/pharmaceutical sense, it is legally a narcotic. Why someone chose to put it in the same category as narcotics, I don't know. It is neither chemically similar, nor does it have the same actions. Lawyers can call skim milk a narcotic if they want, it doesn't make it so.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,838,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
And I started with two cups of coffee every morning, now I've got to fire up the old Volcano every night.

Seriously, here are some people who have admitted using cannabis and have noted the positive influence on their lives.

Carl Sagen - astronomer, astrophysic
Steven Jay Gould - paleontologist, biologist
The guy who won a Nobel prize for figuring out the double-helix structure of DNA. I forget his name.
Oliver Sacks, neurologist

Too bad marijuana makes you stupid and is a "gateway" to narcotics. Otherwise those guys might have amounted to something.

Probably too small of a sample to validate your opinion. Further the argument could also be made as to how much more could they have accomplished if they didn't waste time smoking pot?

Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 AM

868 posts, read 1,120,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
. However, at least people stoned on marijuana don't tend to not drive fast. They tend to drive very slow, saying wow, wow man.
Thats if they move at all, they may stare at a STOP sign for 15 minutes to contemplate its meaning in the cosmos.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 AM

32,564 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
.........What's everyone's thoughts on this specific initiative? ....
Washington has legalized marijuana and the most common sense thing to do would be to watch while Washington shakes out the problems. See how it works for them. If it goes smoothly with no issues, then legalize it in Oregon. If it causes issues, maybe those could be headed off with the right kind of legislation when legalizing. If it causes serious issues, then maybe we could give it a pass.

In the meantime, if it is critical to anyone's happiness to live where it is legal, they are welcome to move north of the Oregon border.

This is new and some unplanned issues are going to come up. Let Washington be the guinea pig and shake it out. After all, they volunteered for the job. Let them have at it.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Pot is already de facto legal in Oregon. You just have to go to your neighbor to buy it rather than the OLCC store. I work with cops. They don't pay any attention to back yard grow operations as long as they are behind a sight obscuring fence. The only time they charge somebody for possession is if they bust a bad actor for something else, or they catch a California drug mule on the freeway.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:52 PM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times
A few nice cold beers taste mighty good in the summertime......ahhhhhh......

Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Pot is already de facto legal in Oregon. You just have to go to your neighbor to buy it rather than the OLCC store. I work with cops. They don't pay any attention to back yard grow operations as long as they are behind a sight obscuring fence. The only time they charge somebody for possession is if they bust a bad actor for something else, or they catch a California drug mule on the freeway.
Went to a couple 4th of July public celebrations (on the Plaza in Ashland and in the park in Medford) yesterday and there were definitely people smoking pot. They were pretty obvious about it and the police clearly noticed it - but did nothing, as the crowd was relaxed and happy and dancing. Later, though, they stepped in when two drunk guys got very belligerent and it was pretty clear a fight was close.

My take is that they view jail space as being for important crimes and major drug issues.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,430,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Yes it is. and the argument could go on for days, but it won't. It is illegal and if I have anything to do with it, (And I do.) it will never be a legal recreational drug in Oregon.

So please tell us how you are planning to stop it?

Blowing a lot of conservative hot air won't really make much of a difference in Oregon.

It usually tends to have the opposite affect.

Quite the conundrum, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon