Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM

318 posts, read 516,495 times

Advertisements

Good day, all! Have been researching for weeks now, the participants here sharing much fine info & thusly helping me to line up several villages to explore in September in hopes of finding a nice place to live. A thumbnail sketch for you...

Am a 57 year old disabled Air Force veteran, single again for years, living on a modest, fixed income (pension). After process of elimination I've got my sights set on the southwestern part of your fine state. I love rainy & gray days (good thing, eh?). The village/small town I would care to reside in would be anywhere from 500 to 6,000 souls or so, quiet & out-of-the-way is fine, even preferable, so long as good organic foods may be had there or nearby. On the coast to 50 miles inland is fine.

Biggest problem at this point seems to be that housing is so much more expensive out your way than I'd ever dreamed, even in smaller, remote & otherwise more affordable villages. Have been living in decent public housing for the last 9 years & it is looking as if I may need to continue. Less than $1000/month fixed income. Yeah, I know, but no debt, no cable TV, no cell phone, etc. & rarely eating out makes it do-able.

No worries, Jeffersonians. Am not coming to try & change your fine state like others have tried to do, for I am loving Oregon as she is. Am looking for much more diversity of humanity than one can generally find in the panhandle of Nebraska. The ultra-conservatism of the Nebraska panhandle has worn on me, though I honestly regret not one day here (almost a decade). A rainy, cool climate will be a most refreshing change, as I camp in all seasons & weather & actually enjoy it.

Alrightythen... the villages/small & smaller towns I have found to be decent, "lazy" places for me are places like Powers, Gold Beach, Brookings, Reedsport, Myrtle Point. My sister has lived in Oregon for decades & continues to love it, though she lives in Portland. After my driving for Greyhound Lines for years, I've no desire to ever be back living in any sizeable city, though visiting is cool.

Am launching out September 1 & heading your way, good people. Any navigation/thoughts/suggestions will respected as well as sincerely appreciated. Honestly, I've known several guys who've spent less time choosing a wife than I have so far looking for a home for the rest of my days! Thanks you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Howdy Sandhills,

The coast is very expensive. If i were you i would look around Powers, or farther inland small towns. You can still drive to the coast & spend time/boonie camp. Only an hour or two drive. Plus inland it's warmer & less windy.

Best of Luck to you on your choice. Welcome.

I'm a Vietnam Navy Vet.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM

Greetings, Hawk J. Thanks for your response, a vet helping out another vet. Was also in during Vietnam, though never in country. I was a "Gemini" space suit technician for our SR-71 Blackbird crews & deployed operationally during the conflict, serving from '72 through '76.

Indeed, the Oregon coast is certainly more expensive, though the one single rent I have heard about was in Powers: "an older mobile home" for "looking at around $400 mo"... & this from a potential landlord whom does not & has never lived there himself. Something along those lines would rent for about $250 or less here in Chadron, & this is a college town even! Am going to look further inland, though was hoping to stay clear of I5.

Quite the dilemma. Thing is: my low income level from my VA pension has my hands tied. For example, were I to help an elder here by working in their yard & then are given, say, $30 for my help then I'm required to report this to the VA & they promptly deduct the $30 from my next monthly pension check. Then I begin to be responsible for self-employment tax as well as federal, state & local taxes. It literally costs me to work anything but volunteering in this way, which is what I do here. Powerfully frustrating stuff, no allowances whatsoever. It's even worse than that, actually, though enough of a picture has been painted to give you an idea of what I am dealing with.

So far as the seasonal rains go, I could easily live in rain regularly, though wind would begin to get under my skin after a few weeks were they to be an every day occurrence. Wasn't aware that the winds were that great along the coast, though what we consider a breeze here could be wind to a Jeffersonian on the coast. When thinking of winds I generally think of 25 to 30 mph or greater. Anything less is but a breeze & personally rather desirable.

It's all so subjective. One person's dirt-cheap rent is over half another's income, eh? Anyhoo, will begin looking inland more. Am always one to follow my heart & it has led me to the fine community such as I am living now. I've no doubt that the right residence for me will eventually be found in your great state. Will look at little places I see on the maps such as Scottsburg, Remote, Camas Valley & the like.

Much appreciated, Hawk J. Thanks for spending the time to respond.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,057 times
The coast is indeed windy. 25 mph and greater is a mere breeze for the Oregon Coast in summer. Winter storms are even more ferocious.

Have you thought of renting a room as a boarder?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 AM

Appreciated, boodhabunny. My distinct impression was that the winds were not generally so strong along the coast. That is a clincher for me to look farther inland, for sure.

"Boodha"... hee heeee! Took me a minute. Reminds me of the Buddhist coming into our local Subway sandwich shop recently, saying: "Make me one with everything." Were I working there then my response may well have been, "There is no sandwich."

Okay... onward to researching more inward-from-the-coast communities. Regarding my possibly renting a room as a boarder, the prospect really has not been given any thought thus far. Perhaps this possibility should be allowed to turn in my noodle for 4 days or so to see what comes of it. Thank you for the thought, boodhabunny. Perhaps this is something to help in my transition.

For all others reading this: Am a "newbie" here, yes, though in a well-respected international message board/forum (which, incidentally,
makes use of the same, fine software as here) I have posted for 8 years & have accumulated nearly 7,000 posts of contributions.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Keep in mind that a lot of the "little" places you see on the maps are REALLY little. Less then 1000 people and many cases less then 100. Scottsburg, Remote, Camas Valley all fit this description, which translates to little to no places to rent.

If you can stand the bit more snow, I'd look in Klamath Falls, or further north around Bend, Madras and Redmond.

Medford and Roseburg might be good ideas - Roseburg has a VA Hospital that serves the Southern portion of the state.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Indeed, hamellr, when Googling "Scottsburg" & zooming in on their satellite map I saw no town! Heh!

A population of less than 1000 is perfectly fine though. Seeing one of two Oregon VAMCs are in Roseburg, as you indicate, am continuing to research the area within 90 miles or so of it. Actually, Roseburg is striking me as a very good place overall, though it is rather large comparatively for what I have in mind. It's also right smack dab on I-5, & seeing I've spent nearly a decade 100+ miles away from the nearest interstate (& liking it), it's a quality I'd truly like to continue.

And, after decade after decade of heavy snows in south-central Montana, north-central Wyoming & panhandle Nebraska, I'll pass on more snow if possible. Check out my Christmas '09 blizzard pics on my profile. You'll see.

So... am continuing to keep coming back to Powers these last several days. Quite isolated, yes, though weather-wise, population, overall living expenses & more, it's worth my looking into deeper in person so far as I'm aware. Lots of campgrounds nearby too. Perfect, scenic, tight-knit community, just right it seems. Can't hit the ball unless you swing the bat at it.

Thank you for your thoughts, hamellr. Real nice of you to take the time. 'Preciated.

Edit- Forgot to mention that if I must hang out near I-5 to begin with then Cottage Grove is at the top of the list. Vibrant community with most of what I'm seeking.

Last edited by SandHills; 08-22-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Glendale has always seemed like a nice, friendly town when i've gone through. You might want to google it. It's about 3 mile from I-5.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
I like Cottage Grove. The old Downtown area is starting to grow up and become diversified, it's a few miles from lots of places to go gold mining, and a nice summer recreation area. And it's just down the road from Eugene so you still get a bit of the bigger city amenities if you need.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Glendale, eh? Will indeed check that out, brother vet. Thanks again. You too, hamellr. Cottage Grove does look like a fine little community, for sure. Have looked into it a few times already, though, as previously expressed, am hoping to avoid I-5.

Here is what I rather serendipitously came across today: Breitenbush Hot Springs Retreat and Conference Center. Had never heard of it before but it seems like quite the place. Anyone able to expand on it, from their experience? Am realizing it is not a "regular" village, though there is something(s) highly attractive about this wee, self-sufficient community. Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon