Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 59,658 times

Advertisements

We are a relatively progressive couple with toddlers looking for a place to relocate. Most importantly we want a place that has a strong sense of community. Preferrably a smaller town or just outside where we could get an acre or more of land and grow food. We waat to raise our children in a place where raising them vegan would not been seen as odd. Where people live a more concious lifestyle with lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation (we hike, camp, mountain bike, road bike, run, kayak.) We are professionals and although my family thinks we are hippies because I am vegan and make some of our own lotions etc. We are not sterotypical hippies. Neither of us have ever been to Oregan before. We are visiting next month. We are going to visit Portland, which I cannot wait just for the culinary options! Then we are going to Mt. Hood, Dalles, Bend, Crater Lake, Ashland, and Eugene. Any other towns near these areas that we should check out while we are there?

Pre-children we have lived many places and worked as travelers in the healthcare feild. So we know what we don't want. Heavy traffic (Southern California), endless strip-malls/ lack of natural beauty, completely flatland (Florida) close-minded people, super dry regions with no greenery (high desert CO), and the thing I am most worried about in OR, too many grey days (in the Northeast.) So are there any sunnier but still green areas in Oregan or is it one or the other?

Thank you, we just want to make the most out of this trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Stop by and check out Dallas.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
Stop and check out Silverton its near both Salem and Dallas.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Oregon Coast! Very different from Florida Coast.
Don't bother to come unless you plan to visit it.

As far as your general requirements:
Here in Oregon, you basically have 2 choices:
1. Somewhere in Willamette Valley.
Pros: There are may quiet small towns where you can acquire some land and cultivate your lifestyle. Oregon is very much 'live and let live' state. Once you gain the trust of locals, you can become part of the community as well. Proximity to Portland and Eugene if you ever want\need to visit a large town.
Cons: not much sunshine for much of the year (but mild climate and good soils, perfect for gardening/farming)

2. Way out there: either Eastern/Southern Oregon, or the Coast.
Pros: Eastern Oregon has far more sunshine, Oregon Coast is stunningly green and beautiful (but very rainy)
Again, a lot of small towns where you can become part of the community.
Typically much more conservative than Willamette Valley (but again- this is 'live and let live' state)
Cons: after a while the isolation may start becoming difficult to bear - Oregon is a LARGE state, and most of it is\feels very depopulated and desolate.

I see you have asked this question in a few other states - none of them can hold a candle to Oregon/ PNW. After you visit you will see what I mean.

Last edited by skiffrace; 07-16-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM

126 posts, read 153,655 times
From your description you would probably be happiest in or near Eugene or Corvallis, the two universtiy towns. Both lean progressive. Ashland is also an alternative (right down near the California border, home of the world famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival).

You can visit Corvallis on the way to Eugene (10 miles west of I-5) but Ashland will require you to drive nearly the whole length of the state on I-5. Corvallis and Eugene are similar but Eugene is about 3 times the size. In either case you could probably find reasonably priced properties out in the Valley or towards the coastal mountains to the west if you didn't want to live in town.

If you enjoy Bend but want a smaller town in that area, try Sisters.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Sisters is high dollar no matter what your income.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sisters is high dollar no matter what your income.
Oh, ok, it's been a couple decades since I've been there so I'm not up to date.

Bend isn't cheap anymore either, from what I've heard.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Agree, Bend is not cheap. If you like central Oregon a look at Redmond and Prineville for cheaper alternatives. I haven't been in those communities for many years. The Redmond airport serves that region.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM

For southern Oregon Grants Pass is also a possibility. I don't have a lot of experience but my dad lived in Selma, about 25 miles from Grants Pass and we went there a number of times. Seems like a decent town now, maybe not as "redneck" as some people might think.

I don't know if I'd ever choose to live in Roseburg but I have to say I really love the terrain around there, with the big hills and oak tree thickets.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,285 times
Check out Corvallis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon