U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,629,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solennel View Post
Another revival poster, here.

My spouse and I are looking to relocate to southern OR, from the east coast, and trying to decide between the Medford/Ashland area (incl. Talent, Phoenix, Central Point) and some a bit further away, namely Rogue River, Shady Cove, and Gold Hill.

We have older relatives living in a mobile community in Medford, and would like to be 35 min or less from them, ideally. Additionally, I have a younger, special needs brother, who needs to live closer to amenities and activities, and be able to reach them via public or paratransit - though not necessarily on the same property as us as he is able to live independently, however, we will need to be about as close a distance to him, if not closer.

The market does not seem very fruitful, currently, in regards to what I am looking for without breaking the bank; acreage (1+), mature landscape/tress (and greenery would be nice!) 2 car garage, 2,000+ sqft. Hoping not to have to remodel much, and certainly not looking to build additions or outbuildings any time soon.

I also have concerns regarding irrigation.

If a flexible budget is feasible, what area seems to have the best buys?
Acreage is tough here, it tends to be expensive and in demand for hobby wineries/farms. There is also a shortage of very small acreages (under 2 acres), as land use requirements don't usually allow large acreages to be subdivided into smaller plots - subdivisions being sort of the exception, but you don't usually find properties over an acre in a subdivision.

The further out from a city area, generally, the cheaper the land, but it is somewhat a game of inches, the prices don't really drop off dramatically. The expensive areas tend to be near Ashland and Jacksonville plus Medford proper. If you go out toward rural Grants Pass or the Applegate, you'd find something for less, but you'd likely be beyond that 35 minute mark.

Transit is limited in the overall area - check RVTD.org for the areas that it serves. There is a paratransit service that operates in the same time frame and areas as the main transit. The link to that service can be found on the RVTD site.

No idea what you consider "breaking the bank," but I'd expect what you are looking for to go for above $400,000+ closer in and $275,000 further out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
Hi, I am from California and would like to retire in Southern Oregon. I would like q quiet area close to town
and the convenience of dr's offices , hospitals and stores including "Ashland" with a short driving distance.

What area would you recommend, I do not like "busy" we visited Medford but stayed in a busy area which
I did not like. I do not want to live in the snow but want sunshine.

Thank you,
Ahland is to expensive.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 AM

984 posts, read 1,239,771 times
Talent is close to Ashland and less expensive. There are quiet parts of Medford.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:31 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,629,707 times
Talent and Phoenix are probably your best bets. Talent has a cute mini-downtown, off of Hwy 99. Proximity to Ashland bumps Talent's prices up over Phoenix prices. Eagle Point is out of the way and quiet, but it is a drive in (to Ashland, hospitals, doctors, shopping beyond the weekly type) on Medford's most busy road (Crater Lake Highway).

And think about that "sunshine" thing - while the Rogue Valley is sunnier than other parts of Western Oregon, the winter is not very sunny. You can still have solid weeks of overcast, rain and fog here from November-March.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 67,565 times
I am in the process of doing exactly that, retiring to So. Oregon from So. Calif.
I purchased a home with property near Selma, about 1/3 of the way from Grants Pass to Cave Junction.
I'm probably further out than you would prefer, but I'm 25 miles from medical facilities in Grants Pass.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or issues, we're probably doing a lot of redundant researching!

Old 10-02-2016, 12:54 PM

329 posts, read 353,745 times
We are going to retire next spring/summer to Eugene area.. however if I was to retire in So Oregon, we would go to Rogue River.... LOVED that cute little town ♥

Old 01-31-2021, 09:30 PM

154 posts, read 463,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
Well, I am sold on southern oregon. What a beautiful area. I can imagine myself snagging one of those Big Salmon. Better still, walking up some trail, taking in the amazing scienery, the many variety of bush and bloom, and catching the occaisional glimpse of wildlife. Hope my Home sells here in Arizona.
For anyone interested, I sold my home in Arizona and moved to Grants Pass. I bought a house in the Fruitdale area. Although, I had to do a ton of work on the place, it is finally coming to an end. One more Bedroom to paint and one more bathroom. Then I can go fishing.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:53 AM

16,215 posts, read 19,208,764 times
Well, it's about time, Slowink. ConGratulations.
I think i saw you over at WallyWorld...
There are some Bigg'un Salmon in the Rogue River. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon