U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

We planned on moving to Oregon from AZ in about a month, but that date has been moved way up and now we are leaving in about a week or less.
We are planning on possibly camping along the way (we will be driving through Nevada mostly) because it is way cheaper than hotels. We figured that we would probably take a week to get up there even though we can do it in a day and a half. We are traveling with 5 dogs and 2 cats. We don't have a place once we are there because it is difficult to find something solely online.
Any suggestions? Are there hotels that don't mind more than two pets? If we camp, we will be in tents. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 PM

24,185 posts, read 32,543,494 times
You're going to have a tough time with that many animals, sorry.

I live in Eugene; out city code allows for three dogs in a household, and this is a very dog-friendly city. Most other cities and towns have some sort of limits, and I'm pretty sure that many campgrounds do as well.

I wish you luck and everything, but you're going to have a tough time unless you're able to buy something right away that's outside the reach of various city ordinances.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,834 times
Thank you for letting me know that. We are looking for something in an outside area. We would love to live off grid. We are looking to rent. Possibly something with property. Any ideas on where to look?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,262,033 times
Where in Oregon are you moving to? It's a big state and hard to tell you where to look unless we have a better idea of where your headed.

I do agree though, 5 dogs and 2 cats is going to make it really tough to find a rental. Hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 13,446,910 times
Probably the best place would be on a farm in a county area (not under any city laws). Many farms have additional homes on them - some are for help around the farm - others are rentals.

I rarely see ads for these in newspaper classified ads or craigslist.org. But do check those. Maybe also check around at rural feed stores (see if anyone has a rental/needs help). Maybe check at senior centers everywhere you can find one. Those seniors know EVERYONE!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,246,700 times
Be aware that Oregon livestock farmers will shoot first when it comes to dogs in their pastures. I was at the vet yesterday, and there were two dogs in the waiting room getting treated for gunshot wounds. Those are just the ones who made it back home. If your dogs take off, that may be the last time you see them. No farmer is going to bring the collar back and tell you they just killed your dog. The SOP is 3-S: Shoot, Shovel, Silence. If you move to Oregon, keep your dogs home.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:13 PM

989 posts, read 1,390,798 times
You very well may need a kennel license if animal control comes knocking on your door, even in unincorporated areas. You are going to have a VERY tough time renting, also the breed of the dogs can be a problem if they are considered dangerous by insurance companies.

By the way, to get a kennel permit takes about a year, and I believe you have to OWN the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon