Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times

Advertisements

We have an upcoming trip to Collier State Park, Chiloquin. I saw a news report last nite that showed millions of these flying pests all along the 97 corridor. Has anyone experienced a problem at Collier? If so, are they only out at certain times of the day? It doesn't seem pleasant at all.
And....if they are out now, how long (weeks) are they around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
My old neighbors out there tell me this has been a good year - not very many midges. They are more active at dawn and dusk and you don't want to leave a light on because they will swarm it. One (of the many) species of midge is small enough to get through standard window screening, fortunately that particular midge has a short spawning season. In a good year the season is maybe 4-6 weeks, in a bad year it is 8-10. As soon as the nights start to really cool off (first frost is usually early September there), they go away entirely.

They are more a nuisance than anything else - they don't bite or sting, but if you are driving along the lake or the irrigation canals the swarms are annoying. Collier Campground shouldn't be too bad, even though it is on two rivers, the midges aren't usually that far away from the lake and the still canals.

Right now my neighbors are complaining more about smoke from the fires, which has been bad all through the Basin.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Ok, thanks! So, we'll be in a travel trailer and will be able to go inside if it gets bad. I can handle the dawn/dusk times as long as they aren't out all day!
I checked the DEQ smoke map and it didn't look bad over there. But, I guess that isn't really accurate. Hopefully, there will be no more fires this season.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Be prepared for very cool nights at Collier - the spring-fed stream next to it is about 45-50° year-round and Collier sits in a little cool bowl.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Be prepared for very cool nights at Collier - the spring-fed stream next to it is about 45-50° year-round and Collier sits in a little cool bowl.
Cool sounds great!! I can't wait to drag out the flannel shirts and thermals. I'm done baking this year.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
You will find Collier Park to be an interesting area to visit, and a very nice campground. A logging museum is located on the edge of the park across Hwy 97 from the park. The town of Chiloquin is located a few miles South of the park. The park is located on Hwy 97 at mile post 244.10, Chiloquin at MP 249, Klamath Falls at MP 273. Going North from the park Chemult is at MP 203, Gilchrist at MP 184. Those miles post numbers give you an idea how far away from the park other towns are located. Mile post markers are those little green signs along the right edge of the highway with white numbers on them. On Hwy 97 the number one mile post is near the Washington border. Midges can be a problem along the edge of Klamath Lake, in the evenings and early mornings, but seldom are they a bother at Collier Park.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
Thinking of moving to the area, therefore getting familiar with the areas on-line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon