Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 AM

35 posts, read 63,848 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Our family just relocated to Ashland a few weeks ago. We have been busy settling in and getting comfortable. I had Charter come out and install phone/internet/TV last week. Internet is great... phone is great (except one thing), but the TV keeps cutting out and skipping. It may just be a receiver problem, ir it may be Charter? We are in the city, south end of town...

What TV service is best in Ashland? I was thinking about getting Direct TV, but not sure how satellite reception is in this area. Any thoughts on any providers? We are not huge TV watchers, but do love football, and the occasional movie. ;-) We just want a reliable service. There is nothing worse in TV land than watching your favorite football game and the TV freezes or cuts out!

One strange issue with our phone is that we have to dial 1-541 before being able to call local numbers. Is that normal here?

Thanks everyone!! Ashland is beautiful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,770,675 times
The 541 phone overlay is for most of Oregon outside the Portland (and oddly, Astoria) areas. The "1" gets added when you dial out of area. So a landline phone call from Ashland to Ashland or Medford is 541-555-5555. A phone call to Eugene is out of area, so it is 1-541-555-5555. There is also the new 458 overlay, on top of 541, but down here in Southern Oregon I haven't seen any numbers with that area code yet.

When we move to this side of the Cascades (from the east side), I changed our cell numbers over to local Medford numbers because it confused people. From a cellphone, our number was 541-783-XXXX but from a Medford-area landline our number was 1-541-783-XXXX (and a toll call, depending on the person's phone plan).

Not a TV watcher, so I can't help there - my neighbors in Medford all seem to have either DirecTV or Dish. Ashland might be tricky because of the mountains behind you. Apparently there is a website that will draw a map for you that shows the orientation and declination of the various satellites from your house, then you can see what obstacles you might have.

Satellite direction finder

Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM

Thanks PNW-type-gal. I suppose I will have to check in with phone company (Charter) to determine why we have to dial a 1 before calling our next door neighbor. Everything, even Ashland to Ashland is 1-541-555-5555.

Thank you for the satellite link. Hopefully others in Ashland will have some TV advice.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,770,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&T View Post
Thanks PNW-type-gal. I suppose I will have to check in with phone company (Charter) to determine why we have to dial a 1 before calling our next door neighbor. Everything, even Ashland to Ashland is 1-541-555-5555.

Thank you for the satellite link. Hopefully others in Ashland will have some TV advice.
Is it VOIP? I have Centurylink for landline service.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM

17,615 posts, read 22,565,115 times
We live in the mountains northwest of Grants Pass. We have been happy with DirecTV for about 15 years.

Reception might go out if too much snow builds up on the dish. I just go out & brush it off.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM

Nope, not VOIT... It's not too much of nuisance... I'll look into it.

Thanks Hawk J! I am hoping it's good in Ashland too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon