U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 AM

3,516 posts, read 3,536,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So we're going to go see my brother in Redding and then make our way up to Oregon with the goal of seeing Crater Lake once in our lives. We'll probably stay overnight in Medford or maybe check out that hotel in Prospect, then spend an afternoon the next day sight seeing at the lake. After that, we're trying to figure out what we want to do for the following 4 or 5 days.
We could go up through Bend, stay there, then up to the Mount Hood area, or we could go back south and check out Ashland?

Aside from avoiding places that may be on fire... we just want to relax, eat food, putter around and see purty scenery. Hubby likes those crafty brew places.

So locals, where are your favorite areas in Oregon for a long weekend, or getaway etc.?

BTW, last year we drove up the coast of Oregon. Wow! We may end up over there again if the heat doesn't let up.

Also BTW, we'll have bikes with us, but they're just one speed bikes. Not mountain bikes.

Thanks a bunch for any feedback!!

(I love a road trip!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:12 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,862,271 times
From Medford it's a 15 minute drive to Ashland. So while technically you would drive south, it's not much of a journey.

Frankly it depends on how much driving you want to do vs relaxing or getting out and hiking/etc. Could you drive over to the Wallowas or Malheur and sneak in a quick pop to the coast? Sure.

Frankly I'd probably limit myself to two options. Maybe Ashland/J'ville?Medford and the south coast, or Ashland and Bend, and maybe do a few short day trips from each of those bases.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
From Medford it's a 15 minute drive to Ashland. So while technically you would drive south, it's not much of a journey.

Frankly it depends on how much driving you want to do vs relaxing or getting out and hiking/etc. Could you drive over to the Wallowas or Malheur and sneak in a quick pop to the coast? Sure.

Frankly I'd probably limit myself to two options. Maybe Ashland/J'ville?Medford and the south coast, or Ashland and Bend, and maybe do a few short day trips from each of those bases.
Thanks for the feedback!

Ha ha... yeah sometimes we end up doing a lot of driving because I always want to "see what's over there"!

After Crater Lake we were aiming to stick to the east side of Interstate 5, unless it's too hot. That's when we'd hightail it to the coast.
Looking at some weather sites it looks like it will be pretty warm the beginning of next week, but it will be cool in the mornings and evenings, so I think I can handle it. I also notice some rain coming in later in the week.

So about your rain up there... is it usually like Seattle where it's more of a drizzle?
I've spent a little time in England and usually we went about our day and only ducked in when it really poured. I can ride my bike in a soft rain. I actually love rain and prefer it over 90 degree weather.

Sounds like Ashland's a very nice place with the Shakespeare theater and all, but we've decided we'll visit it on another trip to Redding since it's really not that far.

So we're thinking of going to the Lake early then head over to Bend. From there, it looks to be about 2 1/2 hours to the Mount Hood area. The map says to take hwy 26. I would imagine it would be a very pretty drive?

Thanks again!
Cheers!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,873,518 times
If your husband likes craft beers, then a visit to Bend should be included. In my opinion, fall is really a great time here too. The summer heat has relented and the crowds have diminished. You could do a drive along the Cascade Lakes Highway and then spend a night or two here. Plenty of breweries to keep him happy. Bend is also a very bike friendly town, so you cruise around on your bikes and hit up a few breweries.

Besides the beer, there are tons of hiking trails. The Deschutes River trail is nice this time of year, as the vegetation is starting to change colors.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
If your husband likes craft beers, then a visit to Bend should be included. In my opinion, fall is really a great time here too. The summer heat has relented and the crowds have diminished. You could do a drive along the Cascade Lakes Highway and then spend a night or two here. Plenty of breweries to keep him happy. Bend is also a very bike friendly town, so you cruise around on your bikes and hit up a few breweries.

Besides the beer, there are tons of hiking trails. The Deschutes River trail is nice this time of year, as the vegetation is starting to change colors.
Thank you so much, sounds like our kind of town.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,640,559 times
Delta beat me to it. I would recommend you go to Bend for a few days, then through Sisters, over the hill to I-5 (beautiful drive), and back south on I-5. plenty to see along the way.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

10,666 posts, read 18,060,583 times
Sunriver is an alternate to Bend.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM

16,216 posts, read 19,221,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi,
So we're going to go see my brother in Redding and then make our way up to Oregon with the goal of seeing Crater Lake once in our lives. We'll probably stay overnight in Medford or maybe check out that hotel in Prospect, then spend an afternoon the next day sight seeing at the lake. After that, we're trying to figure out what we want to do for the following 4 or 5 days.
We could go up through Bend, stay there, then up to the Mount Hood area, or we could go back south and check out Ashland?

Aside from avoiding places that may be on fire... we just want to relax, eat food, putter around and see purty scenery. Hubby likes those crafty brew places.

So locals, where are your favorite areas in Oregon for a long weekend, or getaway etc.?

BTW, last year we drove up the coast of Oregon. Wow! We may end up over there again if the heat doesn't let up.

Also BTW, we'll have bikes with us, but they're just one speed bikes. Not mountain bikes.

Thanks a bunch for any feedback!!

(I love a road trip!)
After you leave Medford, & your on 234, after your past Shady Cove, there is a pretty neat fish hatchery by Lost Creek Lake Res, you might like to see...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...reek+Res%2C+OR

After leaving Lost Creek Lake (pretty nice lake), you will be on hwy 62. By Union Creek you might like to see the beautiful scenery of the "Wild & Scenic Rogue River" there pull over by the side of the road is a parking lot. Soft ice cream is tasty when it's still warm outside. There are beautiful chipmunks about also......The Rogue River is Awesome & Powerful by the raging lava tubes.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...by+Union+Creek

Crater Lake is very AWESOME BEAUTIFUL...

Have a Wonderful Adventure...

Drive Safely.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,721,089 times
Around Bend there is Newberry Crater and some lava tubes that you can walk through. A good LED flashlight is handy, since you can walk for a long way. An hour or more of light is a good idea. I remember one with a smooth enough floor you could ride a bike down it, so you could say you biked for 5 miles underground.

North of Bend on the way to 26 there is the Crooked River Gorge and Smith Rock State Park. It's a favorite of rock climbers, but the scenery is also great.

If you do the drive over Hood, take the cutoff to Timberline Lodge. Even in late summer, it's a nice place. It was built in the 1930s by the CCC, and was used as the external set for the Jack Nicholson version of "The Shining."

For both Crater Lake and Hood, take sun glasses and sun screen. The UV gets pretty intense at high altitudes. It can also be cold, even on hot days at lower altitudes. Take a coat.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Thank you all!

You're all hired as my personal tour guides!
I'll be looking into all the suggestions and see what we feel like.

Ha ha, I'm usually a super "pre planned/pre booked" traveler, but sometimes it's fun to be spontaneous.
As long as it's not during a holiday weekend, (which is also why we like the weekdays) we usually find somewhere to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon