Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times

Advertisements

Long Term fees for residential living in FC zones and requirements like Forest Protection can make your life miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Some info on Septic Systems & Wells are on page 4

http://www.peteandersonrealty.com/up...r_Advisory.pdf

Old 09-25-2014, 07:58 AM

44 posts, read 99,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Long Term fees for residential living in FC zones and requirements like Forest Protection can make your life miserable.

Steve,

This is what I'm looking for - things specific to FC zones.
There is an existing home presently on 20 acres, the owner is living in it. I don't have plans to build another but perhaps may repair or add to this one.

What can you tell me about long term fees? Do you know if they are County, State or Federal fees?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM

180 posts, read 583,090 times
Have you gone and talked to the county zoning office?

Like I said I live in Lane County but when we were looking at an F2 property here in Lane I went to the office and they sat down with me and did a great job explaining what the rules were in lay terms. I decided to pass on that place for other reasons but often an in person visit is a usefull tool.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Have you gone and talked to the county zoning office?

Like I said I live in Lane County but when we were looking at an F2 property here in Lane I went to the office and they sat down with me and did a great job explaining what the rules were in lay terms. I decided to pass on that place for other reasons but often an in person visit is a usefull tool.
I'm currently living out of state, so an in-person visit isn't practical right now. I just made a trip up looking at properties, and I need to catch up on things before I can make another.

I'm trying to work up a list of questions ahead of a conversation / visit, and possibly with enough research ahead, I can have a productive phone or email exchange.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM

180 posts, read 583,090 times
In Lane County the rules on F2 land are that you can replace a house with one of similar use- ie single family dwelling for single family dwelling. They track kitchens as a way to do that. They didnt care about the size of the house as long as the septic matched the house, but they wouldnt want allow more than one working kitchen on the peoperty at one time.

If the house was replased I believe the default was that it was in the same location, unless for some reason it wasnt safe... ie geologically unstable. If I wanted the house somewhere else I would have to file and exemption, although in LC they said that as long as the new location didnt involve cutting down large trees or a streambank setback they were typically approved.

Like I said thats what I found out in LC, JC may be different. My advice is have a clear picture of what you want to do before you talk to them- the clearer your picture the better they can answer your questions.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:49 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsocal View Post
Steve,

This is what I'm looking for - things specific to FC zones.
There is an existing home presently on 20 acres, the owner is living in it. I don't have plans to build another but perhaps may repair or add to this one.

What can you tell me about long term fees? Do you know if they are County, State or Federal fees?

Any info will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a ham radio friend across the valley that is always upset with his FC zoning. He recently had to pay a huge fee for Federal fire protection, although he is in city fire protection. I'll ask him Monday what the issues are specifically.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 AM

Thanks for all the input!
I'm not likely to want to build a new house. I'm going to be retired, and I won't have the cash to build something until I'm too old for it to be enjoyed. I will likely add on to the existing home. The one thing I will want to add is a large shop building, but there is already a barn on site that is about to fall down.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:29 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Old barns can be salvaged, have a civil engineer look at it before you go to the expense of replacing it. A family member owned a dairy with a decrepit barn. They jacked up the barn, cut it off at the level of sound wood, built new foundation using sono-tubes, dropped in down to the new foundation. The building had a metal roof, no issues there.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 AM

It would actually be fun salvaging an old barn like that. I gain a lot of satisfaction from fixing rather than replacing things. This barn is pretty far gone though, roof caved in, walls leaning at extreme angle, etc. Plus I want one about twice the size, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon