Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM

56 posts, read 110,650 times

Advertisements

What is Roseburg like?

Are the people friendly? Liberal or conservative?

Does it feel nice?

Is it expensive? Are there good jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,702 times
Depends on WHERE in Roseburg you live. I love the more rural parts surrounding Roseburg. Hear there's a lot of meth, but that could be just hear say. Any particular reason you were thinking Roseburg? Is Oregon going to be a permanent move for you? Job tranfer? Where are you originally from? Looking to buy or rent? Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by delta07; 10-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: removed solicititation for business

Old 10-01-2014, 01:52 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Roseburg generally votes Republican, and has ever since Goldwater.

It is not expensive. There are not many good jobs. Don't move there until you know how you will pay the rent.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM

I am thinking of moving (from California) because my cousin is moving there (her husband got a transfer). My main reason for wanting to move is the cost of living where I am is too high. I make ten dollars an hour as an Activities Coordinator in an adult day/health care. I don't know if it would be possible to get a job in advance because I hear it's very hard to get a job from another state. Most people see you aren't local and just toss your resume.

Where I am not my take home is abut 1100 and a one bedroom averages 1400, a real cheap one in a bad part of town can be as cheap as 1100... a studio down to 850 so there you go.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
It will be a little less for an apartment, but most houses will be the same. Without a job it won't matter and if you are a ten dollar an hour worker you won't find much. Wages are lower here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy_Cothran View Post
What is Roseburg like?

Are the people friendly? Liberal or conservative? Conservative

Does it feel nice? Yes. Four Seasons. Some older dumpy parts of town like the downtown

Is it expensive? Are there good jobs? Yes for this area. And no jobs.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 PM

I checked on line and it looked like the houses were way less.... like mostly under 200,000. Or did you meant to rent? It never occurred to me to try to rent a house. I could never afford it anyway though.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Nowadays there are used recreational vehicles sitting around all across our beautiful USA. You can usually find one that has been loved for a reasonable price for you to buy. It's a way to have a place to live that is worthwhile thinking about, when a person can't afford a house. There are pull trailers in different sizes, 5th wheels, motorhomes, truck campers. I know folks who have happily lived in an rv. There are also Snowbirds who live in their rv.

Rivers West RV Park - Rates <<<< this is one of the nearby RV Parks close to Roseburg. It's a minimum of $315 per month. There are also other rv Parks in the area.

You can look for a simple cared for lower priced rv on Craigslist...

roseburg recreational vehicles - craigslist

Best of Luck to you finding your place.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 13,947 times
More conservative but there seem to be more liberals everyday.
People are pretty friendly.
Traffic is light and moves at a slower pace.
Rent is $400ish for a 1 bdrm apartment in a less desirable area. you can get a small 1-2 bdrm house in a decent area for $700-800. You can get a 2-3bd in a good area for $800-$1000.
Jobs can be scarce but minimum wage in Oregon is $9.10

Lots of outdoor activities: Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Wineries, Breweries, Waterfalls.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM

30 posts, read 73,364 times
Roseburg is very conservative compared to area like Portland or Eugene.

Racial wise I didn't realize just how lacking it was in diversity until I invited a friend to the Rodeo.
He was a past champion bull rider, had on one of the many buckles he had won, pro rodeo shirt, etc., as well as, a highly decorated Marine..He was also the "Only" Black person at the rodeo. I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for several very mean comments. Instead of getting upset or worse we only had to look at the ones saying such hurtful things. Okay, it may not be PC, but I call them "bubbas", when speaking with friends. Too bad the "bubba's" don't own a mirror as they often are wearing a tank top, and have larger breasts than most women. Rolls are great for dinner, but rolls upon rolls not so much when shoved into permanently stained shirts.
I have nothing against anyone who happens to be overweight, but the meanful attitudes don't belong Anywhere!

The economy for job seekers is pretty dire compared to decades past, and I'm happy other members have mentioned that fact. There are lots and lots of outdoor activities to enjoy. Just be sure to not leave valuables in your parked vehicle as Meth has always been a major problem, but Heroin started getting bad about 5 years ago and it's rampant now and not getting better despite the hard working LEO's.

The occupation you are in is actually a positive as the area has a growing number of retirees moving to the area. The senior services always have a need for quality employees, and if you can pass a drug test your employment opportunities multiply.

Having worked with Parole & Probation you may want to look at why many P.O's don't look forward to working the Myrtle Creek, Canyonville areas.
I Strongly recommend you request data from the Douglas County Health department as it is sad.

Only 1 hospital, but many private senior care homes/facilities.

Many areas don't have public transportation, so be sure to consider that if it's desired.

Honestly, we have enjoyed living above Glide, and would consider staying if Glide was closer to Eugene or Portland, not Roseburg.

Don't hesitate to PM me as I may be able to suggest employers, etc...... We are 1,000 feet for a landline and have to use satellite internet, and don't check email out daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon