Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:22 AM

9 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

Good morning, or maybe good afternoon depending on when you read this!

I'd like to ask an unusual question regarding weather, and skin cancer, maybe mostly directed to those who have moved to Oregon (partially) to get away from the sun.

Originally for San Diego, I had a lot of sun exposure growing up with an Irish skin type - surfing, sailing, hiking... and then a period of chemical exposure in the surf industry - that has led to a pretty heavy recurrence of skin cancer in various forms. Basil, squamous, melanoma... the whole deal. I've been living in the Southwest of France for the past 15 years - less sun than San Diego, but still quite a bit.

I am extremely careful and haven't had a burn in nearly 20 years, limit my exposure, eat healthily, etc. But this place still has a high ambient exposure rate and frankly, at 42, I am tired of the multiple interventions.

Obviously less sun exposure in much of the Pacific Northwest, but does anyone have any actual experience with this type of move? Decrease in frequency of tumor development? I have a very supportive family who is willing to move, but I want to be at least pretty sure that such a move will actually help.

Of course, the scientific writings vary in their conclusions, as do the recommendations of top-notch dermatologists. Some saying that the damage has been done, and other saying that continued, low-level frequent exposure continues to contribute.

I realize that the job scenario is a bit bleak, and wouldn't move without a solid position.

Many thanks for any shared experience or insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:37 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
You might want to call a local dermatologist and ask those questions. Maybe they have some local clients who did what you are considering.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,512,261 times
I know a couple who moved from Florida to Kitsap County (in WA) for just that reason.

Skin cancer isn't an issue with me as I have always lived in the NW or NYC Metro (where one rarely spends much time outside).

Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting a local dermatologist, that honestly had not crossed my mind.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:38 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,358,105 times
I had a friend who survived Stage IV skin cancer, and she wouldn't go outside without every part of her body covered. She still got it again; they found it between her toes, where no sun goes anyway.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longboarder1971 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of contacting a local dermatologist, that honestly had not crossed my mind.
I personally go to Silverfalls Dermatology and Dr. Young is my dermatologist. Super nice guy. You might try calling over there and see if one of them would be able to chat for a few minutes.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM

180 posts, read 581,869 times
If you want to avoid exposure you should be looking at either costal oregon or Seattle. Most of oregon is pretty sunny May- October, and hot enough wearing long sleeves and pants can be uncomfortable.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the dermatologist suggestion - I'll get a hold of him.

I was definitely imagining coastal or, as you say, up towards Seattle. Even in the summer (when it's pretty hot here as well) I'll wear hats, long sleeved shirts... my direct sun exposure is pretty limited. I even keep my surf sessions to 6-9 am and sometimes late afternoons (better for the wind anyway) so as to avoid the sun when its stronger.

Just playing with a lot of ideas to keep this stuff in check!

Thanks again,

Old 05-10-2015, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
Longboarder1971 - Thanks for posting... What did you decide?
This exact topic has been on my mind lately - I'm only in my early 30s, but have a history of 6 basal cells and just got diagnosed with melanoma.
I currently live in New Orleans (& love the city), but I used to surf in Hawaii and the Gulf. I've been thinking about moving to the same general area because of the cooler climate and family in the region (not to mention the skiing, hiking, and boating opportunities). It is miserable to wear pants and sleeves down here in the summer, and I still love to be outdoors - so I feel like I may need to move to fully enjoy my life without destroying my skin.

Cheers & best of luck in your journey!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM

66 posts, read 109,572 times
Our dermatologist wears sunscreen everyday (Eugene, OR) and told my husband who works outside to wear it everyday of the year. That would have been a good question to ask him about the incidents of melanoma here in the pacific northwest versus sunnier locations. My husband's mother has had melanoma but she lives in central California, so I am very much interested in what he has to say on the subject (wish I thought to ask him).

I know that even our babies here in the Pacific Northwest have to take Vit. D drops because we just don't get enough sun here. We do have a lot of cloud cover on the west side of the cascades.

I'm not sure any of that helps at all but I wish you luck in tracking down the answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: