Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Oregon have its own NFL team?
Yes 9 22.50%
No 31 77.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM

234 posts, read 219,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Co Sign, it sounds like you should start a Kickstarter or Gofundme campaign and alert the news media. The number of contributions you receive would be the real indicator of how much the average Oregonian is interested in this idea.
Believe me if I had the money, there would be no debate...im a believer and a football fanatic..lol..but why not thats an option...I would hire you if it works...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Portland's population isn't big enough yet. The city already has an MLS and NBA team. While it would make a great rivalry for Seattle, there are other cities that have higher property for acquiring an NFL franchise. Los Angeles being the most obvious. I will say that college football seems to be very popular in Oregon. Every time I see the Oregon Ducks football team on television, the stadium is always packed with fan support.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Portland's population isn't big enough yet. The city already has an MLS and NBA team. While it would make a great rivalry for Seattle, there are other cities that have higher property for acquiring an NFL franchise. Los Angeles being the most obvious. I will say that college football seems to be very popular in Oregon. Every time I see the Oregon Ducks football team on television, the stadium is always packed with fan support.
Portland is the largest US metro with only one major league pro team(unless we count MLS as a major league, but I'm talking about the big 4 of NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL). For that fact alone it'll get mentioned a lot when potential NFL/MLB/NHL cities come up. With 2.3 million in the metro(along with another 950,000 people in the rest of the Willamette Valley within an hour and a half that what part of a new teams market)--it's a smaller or medium sized market, but it's not much smaller than Pittsburgh or Denver or Charlotte metros--and larger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City and Nasvhille metros(all of which have NFL franchises).

At the same time though, there's not a big push by anyone in reality for an NFL team(no big rich backer that I've heard of looking to seriously move a team here) and the lack of a stadium in Portland is the biggest issue. Though I think that given the right circumstances, NFL could work in Portland--remember also that Portland itself is just a small part of the market for a team--and despite people saying Oregon isn't much of football crowd--I don't find that to be true. Every bar with a TV on Sunday is full of NFL fans anywhere I go, local TV sports coverage has a ton of high school football, and college football is big with the Ducks and Beavers--and Monday morning at my work in downtown Portland is full of people talking about football. And NFL teams only have to sell out 8 home games. Though in the end the fan support of any sports franchise in the long run depends on having a successful winning team that's a contender. Anywhere in the US, that's mainly the case.

But it won't happen anytime soon--it'd take a different situation in terms of the state economy and someone with a whole ot of money to bring NFL(or MLB) to Portland.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:14 PM

234 posts, read 219,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Portland is the largest US metro with only one major league pro team(unless we count MLS as a major league, but I'm talking about the big 4 of NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL). For that fact alone it'll get mentioned a lot when potential NFL/MLB/NHL cities come up. With 2.3 million in the metro(along with another 950,000 people in the rest of the Willamette Valley within an hour and a half that what part of a new teams market)--it's a smaller or medium sized market, but it's not much smaller than Pittsburgh or Denver or Charlotte metros--and larger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City and Nasvhille metros(all of which have NFL franchises).

At the same time though, there's not a big push by anyone in reality for an NFL team(no big rich backer that I've heard of looking to seriously move a team here) and the lack of a stadium in Portland is the biggest issue. Though I think that given the right circumstances, NFL could work in Portland--remember also that Portland itself is just a small part of the market for a team--and despite people saying Oregon isn't much of football crowd--I don't find that to be true. Every bar with a TV on Sunday is full of NFL fans anywhere I go, local TV sports coverage has a ton of high school football, and college football is big with the Ducks and Beavers--and Monday morning at my work in downtown Portland is full of people talking about football. And NFL teams only have to sell out 8 home games. Though in the end the fan support of any sports franchise in the long run depends on having a successful winning team that's a contender. Anywhere in the US, that's mainly the case.

But it won't happen anytime soon--it'd take a different situation in terms of the state economy and someone with a whole ot of money to bring NFL(or MLB) to Portland.
Great argument and on point. That is what I also thought and glad you brought it up.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Co Sign, Portland is not getting an NFL franchise...give it up. Besides the money that would have to be paid to the Seahawks due to territory rights, it's unreadable to sustain for such a small TV market.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:52 PM

10,061 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The NFL isn't like the NBA, MLB, or NHL. Most NFL games sell out their stadiums but the real money is in TV, whereas TV for the other sports is more of a supplement to the regular-season revenues from games, rather than the driver. Both the 49ers and particularly the Seahawks have considerable fan bases in Oregon, so there's not much TV real estate to be had.

Quote:
Portland is the largest US metro with only one major league pro team(unless we count MLS as a major league, but I'm talking about the big 4 of NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL)
I don't think this is true? San Antonio is bigger than Portland and has had similar conversations about an NFL team, most seriously when the Saints temporarily played there after Hurricane Katrina. It's in the same boat as Portland - an NBA team and that's it, but two NFL teams in close proximity. Their arguments against it were similar - lack of support for stadium funding, too small of a TV market, overlap with other teams. Another interesting argument that probably is analogous here is that Peter Holt, the owner of the Spurs, was seriously against it because studies show that NBA teams suffer when an NFL team locates nearby, and it's worse for small markets. The Trailblazers would probably be similarly affected.

So if San Antonio can't get an NFL team in football-crazed Texas, it's much less likely Portland can get one.

From what I read, L.A. is the most likely expansion / relocation. Toronto is the next likely and then there's the London idea.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
The next NFL team will be in LA or London.. not Oregon.. Oregon Ducks are way too popular to make any in roads with an NFL team anyway and the Seahawks are the PNW's NFL team anyhow.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The NFL isn't like the NBA, MLB, or NHL. Most NFL games sell out their stadiums but the real money is in TV, whereas TV for the other sports is more of a supplement to the regular-season revenues from games, rather than the driver. Both the 49ers and particularly the Seahawks have considerable fan bases in Oregon, so there's not much TV real estate to be had.

I don't think this is true? San Antonio is bigger than Portland and has had similar conversations about an NFL team, most seriously when the Saints temporarily played there after Hurricane Katrina. It's in the same boat as Portland - an NBA team and that's it, but two NFL teams in close proximity. Their arguments against it were similar - lack of support for stadium funding, too small of a TV market, overlap with other teams. Another interesting argument that probably is analogous here is that Peter Holt, the owner of the Spurs, was seriously against it because studies show that NBA teams suffer when an NFL team locates nearby, and it's worse for small markets. The Trailblazers would probably be similarly affected.

So if San Antonio can't get an NFL team in football-crazed Texas, it's much less likely Portland can get one.

From what I read, L.A. is the most likely expansion / relocation. Toronto is the next likely and then there's the London idea.
San Antonio metro is smaller than Portland metro in total population--I don't know if you're including Austin area as being part of a potential market.

There'd be plenty of questions with a team in Portland or San Antonio--I don't think it matters right now, because as you said LA should be the next place to get a team(again). I just said that Portland will always be on the list of potential cities for a new pro franchise(along with places like San Antonio being mentioned--or Vegas which seems to come up now) because it's the largest metro with just one of the big four leagues present. It could work, it might not--the Seahawks have a market here--though I'd say the 49ers are kinder of a smaller contingent(as a Niners fan myself)--Portland itself is full of transplants rooting for teams all over the country.

I don't know how much an NFL team would really affect the Blazers--I mean by the time basketball season starts the NFL season is half over with only 2 months left in the regular season. But it's such a future pipe dream for Portland to get a MLB or NFL team due to the huge issue about not having a stadium nor being able to build a stadium that it's all sort of a fantasy anyhow. Oregon isn't a real gung-ho state for big new projects(despite the willingness of Portland to build streetcars and condos)--it's pretty conservative and risk-averse for the most part. Back in the 60s, some people in Portland was trying to build the proposd Delta Dome" stadium where Delta Park is today--the measure failed when put to a vote--and some years later, Seattle got the Mariner and Seahawks and built the Kingdome. At the time though Portland could have possibly landed a MLB or NFL team before Seattle got one. At the same time though that "Delta Dome" would've been torn down years ago as being out of date by now and there would have had to had a new stadium built either way.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Portland won't get it due to it's proximity to Seattle. Now if Portland was like Denver with no major other cities than it has a chance. That's one of the reasons Denver has pro teams in all sports including MLS. They own the mountain region and the area was willing to pay for the stadiums. Heck, all of its sports venues (Pepsi Center, Coors Field, Sports Authority Field, Dicks Sporting Goods Park) have all been build in the last 15 years or so.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
If LA doesn't have one (or OK City)...Oregon doesn't need one either. College football support does not equal pro football support.
Although...it might fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon