Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 23,645 times

Advertisements

I have become estranged from my blood brother. We grew up together, but we both moved our separate ways. I miss him very much. After seven years, he and his wife are FINALLY considering moving closer to us, along with their five young children. We live in Philomath/Corvallis area. They are considering moving to Bend with their family of seven.

Where we both used to reside growing up, was the Ontario/Payette area. That place is a poo-hole. Outside of having nice people, there is virtually nothing there.

Now that they're getting a lot closer, I told him about the mountain pass that is in the way. I told him about the weather he would experience compared to the wonderful weather we have and some of the benefits that come with said weather. It peaked his fancy a bit. I would love to have him move to the other side of that mountain though. I could visit him a lot and I think it would be a better fit for him. It's closer to all the big cities and he wishes to be closer to the Ocean.

Can you nice people help me come up with some reasons why someone should live further west on Highway 20? I would like some help in persuading him.

So far I have:

Long growing season
No to very little snow
It rarely freezes
REAL FORESTS
Ocean
Clubs (he likes to party still)
Portland
Salem
Eugene
Foster Lake
And several other things I can't think of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Small town people need to go to the big city for one thing or another at least once a month or so. Medical, buy a part for something, shop in a store with things not available in small towns, whatever.

REALLY nice to be on the same side of the "hill" as I-5, especially during the winter. (I'm talking trips to Portland, Salem, Eugene.)

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Except that it means living in Willamette Valley weather, which isn't for everyone. Bend is large enough to provide most services such that a trip over the Cascades isn't necessary, barring highly specialized medical care.

What attracted him to Bend in the first place? It may be a better fit for him, and certain things on your list (forests, nightlife) are just as available - maybe even more available - in Bend as they are in the cities you listed. If winter recreation like skiing is on his list, Bend is a far better choice.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I definitely can't help you make the west side of the Cascades more attractive than Bend/Central Oregon. I really love Bend and living here and know I could never handle the wetter weather that the the valley brings. You mention your brother is coming from the Ontario/Payette area, which is a much drier climate that where you are. Perhaps that's your brothers biggest issue. I know it's mine.

Bend, although smaller than many of the cities along the I-5 corridor, actually has everything that most people need. We've only had to drive to Portland a handful of times in 6 years for something we specifically couldn't find in Bend. Even then, we usually enjoy the trip and make the most of it.

I think Bend's forests are wonderful and the outdoor recreation here is really hard to beat. The only thing we don't have are a ton of nightclubs, but there are plenty of bars and breweries that offer live music and a party-type atmosphere, if you so desire. I've yet to become bored with the nightlife here.

We do have snow, but I prefer that to the constant rain. Sorry, I just can't say that your part of the state is better than Bend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon