Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times

Advertisements

Can you tell if someone is from "Cali" by the way they dress, act, talk, etc or do you think people in both states have essentially identical cultures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Can you tell if someone is from "Cali" by the way they dress, act, talk, etc or do you think people in both states have essentially identical cultures?
California is pretty broad as it is. California north of Sacramento doesn't feel that different from Southern Oregon. Much of rural California as it is has more in common with rural Oregon in places than it does urban California. Parts of Portland have more in common with parts of the Bay Area than other places in the Willamette Valley these days.

The stereotypical California youth dialect is sort of something that kids all over the country have at this point--though plenty don't speak like that even in California. Clothing styles don't seem to vary that much across the West Coast until you get into the major cities.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM

338 posts, read 421,169 times
Quote:
"Can you tell if someone is from California by the way they dress, act, talk"
No, but you can tell by how they handle themselves on the road. Most Oregonians can barely drive whilst Californians can't drive at all!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
I'm a native napan aka napa CA but have called many places home over the years and Oregon for the past 11 years..
The difference I see is when your visiting with people about California and suddenly your on the same page when talking about different places in Californian, the oh! remember when this was built ect.
Friday is my day in the retail nursery at Oregon Gardens this past friday I spent a few minutes with a couple from Oakland..It was just fun to catch up on life down there ect..It is always fun to visit.
I don't think on day to day going about your business that Californian's stick out...A true southerner or east coaster will stick out more only because (please take no offense) of there accent...
So that my dollar two ninety eights worth California

Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
The de facto speed limit in the left lane in southern Calif. is 80. I've seen the Highway Patrol in a group of cars all going 80 and he doesn't pull anyone over. And I've been surprised by a Highway Patrol on the side of the freeway radar gunning everyone and a group is going 80 and he does nothing.
Oregon people drive slower even in nice conditions.
Young girls in Beaverton malls look just like young girls in southern Calif.
The churches are nice and warm in winter in Oregon, in southern Calif. the air conditioning is likely on and you freeze to death, annoys me to no end.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
People from California will cup their hand over the side of their mouth and say "I'm from California" (in a whisper so no one else will hear).

Then I say I am from California too and they relax.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I am pretty accurate about identifying those from southern California, to me, there is a certain way about how they look and act, and I can pick "them" out quite consistently.

Northern Californians, not so much.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Nope. No real cultural boundary that I could see.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 AM

57 posts, read 272,938 times
I don't think there's a big difference, generally. Former Californians left that state for a reason, and presumably are still in Oregon because they enjoy it here. That definitely applies to me. This reminds me of a story:

I was in line at Safeway and got up to the checker but didn't have my rewards card, so punched in my phone number. The checker noticed the 916 area code and asked where I was from. I told him I had lived right here in Grants Pass for several years but lived in Sacramento when I got the rewards card. He said he had driven through Sacramento once and didn't like it.

I said, "Now you know why I live in Oregon."

The next three people in line all started laughing. It turned out that every one of them were also former Sacramentans.

Oregon is full of former Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon