Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 05:27 PM

29 posts, read 117,616 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I just wanted to ask locals in the Bend/Redmond/Prineville-etc area to give us all an idea of exactly how cold you have seen your weather there...
(In my neck of the woods--north central montana-- on Jan 15th, 2005 it was
-31 below zero.)..not always that cold, but gets there sometimes..
In the last..say.. 5 yrs or so what is the lowest you have seen temps drop? I think this would give more people an idea of what extreme weather they really may be up against if moving there..hows the wind there and water out of the tap? Easy to grow your own veggies there like tomatoes if the ground is improved ?!!
--Can't wait!! Thanks..MG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,031,423 times
my folks live in Bend, (for about 4yrs now) and I dont believe its been lower than the teens, average more about 20-40degrees in the Dec/Jan.....I dont live there, this is just heresay from them and a few visits here and there.
I havent heard any complaints about the wind from them, nor have I noticed it while there (but then again, i live at the beach, so im used to it being breezy a lot)
I think its pretty farm friendly there, they get a good amount of sunny days, i thnk the average being about 300sunny days, and nothing real extreme in either temp direction.
hopefully someone who lives there can help more though.
Best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 AM

143 posts, read 808,902 times
We do not live in Bend, but do visit several times a year. We were there last week and one morning it was 4 degrees.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,241,674 times
According the data on the Bend City-Data page, the average summer low temps are well below 55 degrees. That means growing tomatoes will be a challenge as they need nighttime temps to be above 55 degrees to set fruit.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,772,199 times
Record lows are well below zero - but they're records, and not even close to common. Looking back through about 5 years of weather data, it usually dips into the single digits (but the single digits above zero) 2-3 times a month in Dec, Jan, Feb.

And you can grow tomatoes here, you just have to find short-season cool-weather determinate types, which are pretty common in the local nurseries. Somewhat of a pain, because they're an all-at-once producer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon