Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 02:01 AM

57 posts, read 181,986 times

Advertisements

hi all, i was on this forum before comparing astoria to medford and you all were very helpful. well medford hasn't worked out unfortunatly. lost a job recently so we'll have to move soon. had an interview with salem hospital last week (waiting for a decision) and have an interview at sky lakes hospital today (our first time in kfalls) . a little about myself first, me and my wife have twin 3yr old boys and don't own a home, we don't party and love the n. california and oregon coast. i've looked at a few of the earlier threads on the areas but would appreciate any newer opinions. salem seems ok to me as long as we could afford a decent area. a friend told me that salem has 3 prisons which didn't sound right. even if thats true it wouldn't worry me. i think salem probably has more opportunities for young people as far as education and jobs. kfalls worries me for a few reasons, it seems pretty remote, not many education options, higher unemployment rate which can lead to high rates of alcoholism and drug use not to mention crime, also is it true that kfalls has a shortage of law enforcement? that's all i can think of now and any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,649,519 times
My 2 cents is Salem. Its closer to Portland and what it has to offer. Its far enough away you don't have to bask in Portland's awesomeness all the time. It's been quite awhile since I spent much time in Kfalls. I'm going to go with the idea that Salem will have more job opportunities down the road over Kfalls, it would solidify my choices if faced with the same decision.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:51 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
Salem would offer more job opportunities within commutable distance.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,800,363 times
The problem with the Sky Lakes job is that it would be the only possibility in town, unless you could work for a much smaller clinic. A job in the Salem area has many more possibilities.

Sorry the Medford job did not work out.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM

15,554 posts, read 40,364,451 times
Salem has 3 prisons. The State Penn on State street, Deer Creek which is minimum security, and Oregon State Correctional Facility. The prisons are good jobs for people that can handle that level of stress. Oregon law requires that prisoners need to be released back to their home county upon completion of their sentence and transitional program. They don't all get released in Salem contrary to what people think. I personally haven't seen huge issues with having three prisons in the area.

I think Salem would offer more job opportunities. There are hospitals in Salem, Dallas, Silverton, and Stayton so if the Salem job failed after you moved you would have other options for work without having to move again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon