U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,948 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to klamath falls or the Bonanza area and cant find anybody that delivers bulk water can any one help? please
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM

198 posts, read 264,045 times
I'm doing the same and wondering the same. I'll be living in Bonanza. I'll have my own drinking water in the house but I'll need water for showers and such. I'm wondering if one can pay the volunteer fire department for someone to come and fill water tanks occasionally, especially since I'll have a tank of water to use in case of wildfire.

Otherwise, there are water stations and we just may have to take large containers and keep up with it. I'm going to use "pillow" water tanks for my non-potable household needs. They are made of highly durable fabric and fit under the crawl space of the house. I'm getting 2 smaller ones so I can transport one at a time in my car and fill it. Maybe if the fire department or a water supplier can't come to me, I can go to them! The pillow tanks come in all sizes and are flexible. They connect to pumps, hoses and pipes. Empty, they can be folded up and taken anywhere and, full, they're about 16-inches tall. Think mega-ultra-sturdy air mattress for water.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 AM

15,296 posts, read 14,706,525 times
Consider a conventional water system. I have a 2500 gallon spun poly cistern that provides domestic water. In the summer the well sometimes goes dry, so I call for a water delivery. It takes care of laundry, drinking and cooking, shower, toilet and even some container tomatoes. I heartily recommend American Standard low flush toilets. They work great. A front loading washer will use 1/3 the water of a top loader. Set up your shower with water saving shower heads and a valve so you can turn the water off while lathering and scrubbing.

The water truck we use hauls about 1800 gallons, and that will last two people a month without getting extreme about water conservation. The cistern has a conventional 1/2 hp. centrifugal pump and pressure tank to provide water, though we get low head gravity flow if the power goes out. A half horse centrifugal is plenty of pump for domestic water if it doesn't have to suck.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the water estimates, Larry! I was figuring about 30 gallons per day for just me and that seems about right with your numbers -- maybe even a bit high since I'll have a solar/wind-powered, waterless incinerating toilet. Plus, I'm getting a small washer-dryer combo that is indeed front-loading and a water miser. (Aren't front-loading washers AWESOME? I have a full-sized one in my house now and absolutely LOVE it!) I'm also going to have a greywater filtration system to reuse greywater for drip irrigation of landscaping, other plants, and such.

I'm concerned about freeze-ups in the winter, considering that I'm going to be living on Bly Mountain at 4,800 elevation with the potential for substantial snow. (I AM going to do snow collection for water use, btw.) That's why I am interested in having my water tanks and plumbing protected from the elements under and in the cabin with insulated skirting around the crawl space and the pipes, valves, etc. insulated, too. How do you protect everything from freezing?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,706,525 times
Insulation, lots and lots of insulation, plus putting the cistern, pump, etc. inside small utility buildings with insulated walls and roof. When it drops below aobut 25 degrees, I start little portable propane radiant heaters inside, connected to 20 lb. tanks. I have been fine down to 13 degrees, but recommend PEX because it won't rupture if it freezes solid.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,948 times
Default unable to open replies

will anyone who has an answer to me getting water deliveries in Klamath Falls or Bonanza email me direct at soaltim@yahoo.com thanks Timbo1812

Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,764 times
Hi all. Great advice thank you. And I just wanted to say you all are awesome. And I'm gonna be moving out there too. I will be putting in my own cistern and water catchment system because of so many reasons including personal health. Yes i know it doesn't rain much but i already use the inventions already created that will condense water over night and have gallons of water by the morning. Me wanting to use a cistern has nothing to do with money btw. I might get a well to make my house worth more in the future. If you have a well then God bless, but California already has its wells drying up so why depend on a well and have to move away when it dries up for good. Main thing I wanted to say is I am looking forward to being neighbors the people there I've met and talked to are good people. It would take a long time to explain but I will be so happy to leave where I live now and make the final move with my wife. My brothers live out West too. Not too far away.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,764 times
BTW my wife and I use about 10 gallons a day 300 a month. Mostly for showers, washing dishes and clothes I guess. We water plants using things like earth box setups etc... With a plant I had to water every other day now it is once a week. Stuff like that.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 AM

Hi FarSpace!
Glad you posted! Are you moving to the Bonanza area/Bly Mountain? I'm really interested in your water plans and the condensation thing you described!
Julie

Old 02-28-2015, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,843 times
Who does water delivery in that area? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon