Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 02:45 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,345 times

Advertisements

I'm coming in from Boise, I know Bachelor is closer but which has the better snow/terrain?

I've skied all over the west and Alaska but this will be my first time skiing in Oregon.

I'll be skiing by Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
I am not a skier, so I don't know if this area is good or bad:
http://www.anthonylakes.com/

I do know that it is closer to you (about 140 miles from Boise) than the two you mentioned.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:52 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Mt. Bachelor may have better snow but maybe not as much of it than Hood.
I'll be skiing at Whitefish Mountain Resort (formerly known as The Big Mountain in Montana), next week I hope.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM

305 posts, read 1,610,038 times
I just spent the past 3 days at Bachelor and loved it. I would recommend it over hood, but will caution you to check the weather forecasts. It's been pretty windy at Bachelor this week and the summit was closed, but supposedly it was kind of a freak storm. Bachelor also has more than enough snow, and it's powdery whereas the snow at hood is heavier and wetter. I also heard from someone on the lifts that Hoodoo has good snow right now and that's not too far west of Bend.

Happy skiing!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 PM

thanks guys, I leave Iowa City tomorrow morning for a 20 hour drive to Boise. My friend in Boise has a friend in Bend so we might just stay there since we'll have a free place to crash. He wanted to try out Hood but it seems from what you guys have said that its not worth the extra 3 hour drive.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM

143 posts, read 809,981 times
I think your plan for Bend/Mt.Bachelor is good. We skied at Bachelor last week and it was great. Our daughter was at Meadows the other day and got soaking wet with a rain mix. Mt. Hood is not worth the extra 3+ hours, IMO. And trust me, from our drive back from Bend last week it took a lot longer than that.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

Well decided to ski both places and enjoyed Mt. Hood MUCH more. Could just have been because of that huge storm, first day at Bachelor the whole mountain was essentially closed because of 80mph winds, they even closed the Pine Marten lift which is the main lift. Skied Bach the next 2 days and while the 18 inches of fresh snow was nice I just thought the terrain was a bit amateur, the summit was still closed but there weren't that great of runs except for the tree runs on the far right side of the resort.

Hood had about 18 inches of fresh snow as well and the Heather was open and that was really fun to ski. Stayed with my friend Jim in Hood River and got to check out the gorge again. Hood River is awesome in the summer as well.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM

143 posts, read 809,981 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip! Sorry to hear you had the storm at Bachelor though. At least you had a great time at Mt. hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon